Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who have eaten this way long-term... food funk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who have eaten this way long-term... food funk?

For those of you have been eating this way for awhile... did you go through a time when you didn't eat so well? For instance... I have been primal since January, but for about a month and a half I have been in a food funk and have been eating lots of cheese and processed meat (salami, pepperoni, and deli turkey), and Haagen Daz Five ice cream with raw cacoa nibs. I have also been drinking a lot wine, which leads to eating more of these foods. I have been choosing the best quality cheeses and meats that I can, though, not that's an excuse.

The good thing about this is that in a month and a half I have gained a couple of pounds back... not bad for the way I have been eating. In the past I would have binged grains and foods far worse than cheese and salami. I am going to have to give up the wine to get rid of the cravings. I think I am ready to get back to cleaner eating.

What kind of food funks have you gone through and for how long?

Been doing this for nearly two years. No issues. I do have a glass of wine and a cup of hot cocoa each day (I'm specifically addressing thrombosis) and don't restrict dairy (but only have it in moderation - yoghurt and cheese).

If you're not comfortable with your diet, experiment till you find something sustainable. Try to include a solid breakfast
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Yup. I can't remember if I'm going on 2 or 3 years Primal. This is my 2nd winter, and I started in May... so 3 years...

I've had really good phases, and some not so good phases where I ate too much nut butter or too much cheese, or just too much in general. It feels good though when you get into a "good" phase and everything just fits together nicely.

I think some of us take a little longer to figure out what works best for us.

Comment

Been doing this over a year. No funks yet. Maybe a year isn't long enough for them to set in.
        Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Last September I fell for a cheesecake. Then gelatto, then more cheesecake. It went on for a couple of months. I didn't know about any primal support forums at the time. That would have helped. It was very hard to get back. I never went for grains, skipped the crust for example, but the sugar really hooked me. I'm free of it now. The leptin reset helped me a lot. Just reading what others were eating... I didn't need the reset but did it anyway.. Guess I still am except I exercise before bkfst.

Advice? Stay with the ones who are doing it. Keep listening.
          Wisdom begins in the recognition of how little we know.

(teaching of Socrates)

Comment

I did it for 8 months in 2009/2010. Not super-long, but long enough to have experienced a food funk. Mine was over Christmas. The five weeks over Dec included lots of sweets, alcohol and cake. By the 4th week I had only gained 1 pound but I recognized that my old cravings were back in full force, so I started afresh with a detox and colon-cleanse.

Comment

I'm one year in and am just now in a bad phase for the first time. I think it is because of combination of two things - I recently tried dropping most fruit to see if I could increase my energy. While I think it is working, I keep finding myself without a quick food item to grab and hold me over. The second is that I have been having tons of problems with kidney stones. It has me a bit out of sorts and maybe a little depressed.

I'm not completely off the wagon, but not nearly where I like to be.
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                The second is that I have been having tons of problems with kidney stones. It has me a bit out of sorts and maybe a little depressed.
                Sorry about that. I have four, one of which is causing pain. Doc says that since it is only 2 mm, we need to just wait for it to pass.
                Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I have gone for almost 3 years. In fact it was the wonderful Diana Renatta that roped me in from the runner's world diet forum. I fall off the horse every once in awhile but have been making steady progress every year. Yes I think it is good to measure annually. I started doing this but it has been a real incentive to continue as after losing 100lbs my motivation fell off of a cliff. Day to day changes are subtle but when you can compare annual numbers then you see a real difference. I am looking forward to my 3rd annual measurement in November and I plan to drop another 1" off my waist and still be at the same weight. You just have to find long term motivation to get you back on the horse.
                  Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

I've had a couple of dairy, nut, processed meat funks. These have snuck in because they seem primal for a few moments... Definitely not in my regular repertoire now that I have a handle on what I want to be eating.

Comment

Keep in mind, this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. As such, some days will be different than others. Stick to the program as much as possible, but don't sweat some occasional bad foods. Just remember the goals, don't get depressed over eating something you should have. Just get back to eating healthy after your indulgences.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaish View Post
                        Keep in mind, this isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. As such, some days will be different than others. Stick to the program as much as possible, but don't sweat some occasional bad foods. Just remember the goals, don't get depressed over eating something you should have. Just get back to eating healthy after your indulgences.
                        +1! I've been eating this way for about a year, and the main thing it's taught me is to just to be aware of what I'm eating. I have the occasional glass of wine...I've even had the occasional slice of pizza (and I'm not talking primal pizza, although that's wonderful). Check out some primal recipe blogs and get some new ideas. That might get you out of your funk. Try something new, and don't beat yourself up over a little bowl (or 2) of ice cream!
                        Results Pics:
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d6138-245.html

Mandolin's Primammalian Cave Wall

Vegetarian=an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter"

iHerb.com $5 off first order code: AMA998

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am not beating myself up at all. I would have years ago, but I am beyond that kind of craziness... just wondered if it was something that others went through from time to time. I am not worried about it. I have allowed myself to do this because I can't restrict myself or feel guilty because that is what has become a problem for me in the past. I am happy with where I am. I am definitely going to seek out some new recipes/ideas for meals. Like I said, I think the wine is causing the cravings, which must mean it spikes my blood sugar a lot.

Comment

Yes. I've had one massive fall off the wagon (Thanksgiving 2009) and two periods of what I call "sloppy primal." The second sloppy episode was fairly recently. What put the fear of Jesus into me was when the new smaller jeans I *just* bought were noticeably snugger than the previous time I wore them. I said THIS STOPS NOW. What set me off this time was dabbling with a carb refeed while simultaneously thinking I no longer needed my amino acids (foolish girl); the time before that, it was a Whole30 crash and burn. People recovering from eating disorders should NOT be messing with Whole30s or carb refeeds. Play with snakes, you're gonna get bit.
                            Last edited by TigerLily; 08-11-2011, 08:31 PM.
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                              People recovering from eating disorders should NOT be messing with Whole30s or carb refeeds.
                              Yes, I agree... even the leptin reset kind of messed with me. I need to not overthink this othewise it becomes too much like a "diet". I like the term "sloppy primal"... that is exactly what this has been and so be it. If this is for life there are bound to be times like this. I actually feel really at peace about this and that is an accomplishment for someone who used to have a binge eating disorder.

Speak to me about amino acids!?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X