Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my body in Ketosis ??

Hiya all,
    I have been primal for about 2 months now and have been keeping my carbs between 50 and 100g per day.
    Two weeks ago my partner came home with flu/virus type symptoms and a few days later it seemed like i was catching her bug..........
    Ever since then i have been feeling terrible and hardly able to function at work and as i am self employed this is a big issue.
    Just by coincidence i came across a primal blog and started reading up on Ketosis. The author stated that some people can suffer from the following side effects: fatigue, weakness, confusion, dizziness, irritability, a rapid heartbeat, anxiety, sweating, trembling, hunger.........now this is pretty much what i am experiencing, to such an extent that i could just curl up and sleep all day.
    Do you think this could be happening to me or am i suffering from a never ending virus that my body cant shift?
    Any help would be appreciated

Ketosis in a Low-Carb Diet | Mark's Daily Apple Why Fat, Not Carbs, Are the Preferred Fuel for the Human Body | Mark's Daily Apple

Read both of these posts I doubt its ketosis. There are people who develop flu like symptoms for awhile after going low carb from really high carb but ....that would have been earlier. If you've been primal for 2 months that shouldn't be the issue. That being said I'm not sure why you would be suffering from the flu for that long. Actually I've never had the flu so maybe that isn't exceptionally long?
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 08-08-2011, 10:25 AM.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Comment

Those symptoms usually occur as your body is transitioning to using fat as a fuel source. This transition can take anywhere from a couple of days to several weeks, depending on your body and how much carbohydrate you eat. It's not likely that it's kicking in after two months.

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
        Those symptoms usually occur as your body is transitioning to using fat as a fuel source. This transition can take anywhere from a couple of days to several weeks, depending on your body and how much carbohydrate you eat. It's not likely that it's kicking in after two months.
        Unless said person wasn't 100% Primal, and just now started to really cut out carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by croí View Post
          Unless said person wasn't 100% Primal, and just now started to really cut out carbs?
          You could have a point here because I have only been focussing on low carbs for approx the last month

Comment

Also I have noticed that my urine has been smelling really strong and has a distinctive odour...... Am i right I saying that this is a sign of ketosis??

On a side note I have just eaten a high carb/cal meal for the first time in a month and I fell pretty damn good right now

Comment

Originally posted by wehey View Post
              Also I have noticed that my urine has been smelling really strong and has a distinctive odour...... Am i right I saying that this is a sign of ketosis??
              Is it possible you haven't been drinking enough water?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristy2078 View Post
                Is it possible you haven't been drinking enough water?
                No chance. I am always careful that i drink enough. Most days it's 2litres easily

Comment

Originally posted by Raiken3712 View Post
                  Read both of these posts I doubt its ketosis. There are people who develop flu like symptoms for awhile after going low carb from really high carb but ....that would have been earlier. If you've been primal for 2 months that shouldn't be the issue.
                  The first time I ketoadapted it took 8 weeks. Eight hellish, headachey, fluish, dizzy, body-achy weeks. It was awful.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Well even if it can lasts 2 months I think he said he didn't feel any flu like symptoms till after 2 months....if your body were going to go nuts on you because of the change to primal I would think it would have happened at the start of the 2 months not the end. Ketosis is said to produce a strong smell of acetone I think.

There are things I've heard of called Ketostix you can buy to test your self for Ketosis. You could very well be in Ketosis though I'm still not sure it would be that causing your flu like symptoms. I don't know I hope you get to feeling better soon.
                    Body Fat 25.4%
                    Fat Mass 63.721
                    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                    Fat Free Mass 187.087
                    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)

Comment

Just a brief update.........i think i have figured out whats happening here!!
                      Im 90% sure i have developed an intolerance to eggs!
                      I woke up this morning feeling great and ready to take on the day.......i ate a banana at 7.00am then at 8.00am had a breakfast of 3x eggs, spinach and some left over ham from last night........within 20mins my body was trembling, my face was flushed, i had palpitations and felt nauseous..........4 hours later and its only just starting to subside........had to take the day off work again as i feel so ill.
                      I will have an egg free couple of days now and report back with results

Comment

I sure hope that doesn't happen to me I eat eggs for breakfast every day. I eat four of them everyday. Why exactly does eating something cause an intolerance to form?
                        Body Fat 25.4%
                        Fat Mass 63.721
                        Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                        Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

Originally posted by wehey View Post
                          some left over ham from last night........within 20mins my body was trembling, my face was flushed, i had palpitations and felt nauseous..........
                          how was the ham cured and did it have nitrates in it?

I have been doing primal since April, but I have lots of experience with ketosis in diets having done Atkins for a long time. Even doing primal I have been in ketosis 90% of the time since I still have a lot of weight to lose.

The issues with so called "low carb flu", or "ketosis flu" from my experience and with talking to people over the last decade on various low carb sites/forums is not that they are in ketosis but that they go from eating high carb processed food to huge amounts of meat that is processed with chemicals/preservatives and it takes a while for the body to adjust to the chemicals.

It goes like this. I am eating the typical SAD and go "low carb" so now I drink lots of diet soda full of artificial sweeteners, eat lots of bacon and ham full of nitrites, msg, preservatives etc, and lots of other processed meats.

All of these chemicals flood the body at the same time it is trying to make the switch from burning carbs to burning fat and causes issues. Once the switch is made to burining fat is better able to deal with the chemicals.

I am not saying this is the case with you but most people who have so called "inducation flu", "low carb flu", etc do not really follow even what Dr. Atkins lays out in his book they do not eat the veggies they are supposed to and load up with chemicals.

Having said that the best way to see and measure if you are in Ketosis is to go to any drug store, wal-mart, etc that sells diabetic testing supplies and get some "Keto Stix". You get 50 of them for around 8-13 bucks (at least here in the US) and you pee on them. If they turn from yellow to pink you are in Ketosis the deeper the pink to purple the more ketones you have.

Using the sticks I aim to be in "low" to "moderate" ketosis for 10-14 days during which time I will drop weight and then hit a wall. I will then break my ketosis by eating some fruit and honey for a day or two (it does not take much). Then I go back to my "regular diest" and go back into ketosis again.

The way I figure it this works because Grok did not have ready access to things high in sugar, so when he found that bee hive full of honey, or that tree full of fresh fruit he ate a bunch. This did not happen for him everyday
                          ************************************************** ********
                          39 years old, 6'5" tall (195cm) 300 pounds (136kg)
                          Started primal living in April 2011
                          Start Weight 375 pounds (170kg)

Comment

Originally posted by Wally_B_Sr View Post
                            how was the ham cured and did it have nitrates in it?

I have been doing primal since April, but I have lots of experience with ketosis in diets having done Atkins for a long time. Even doing primal I have been in ketosis 90% of the time since I still have a lot of weight to lose.

The issues with so called "low carb flu", or "ketosis flu" from my experience and with talking to people over the last decade on various low carb sites/forums is not that they are in ketosis but that they go from eating high carb processed food to huge amounts of meat that is processed with chemicals/preservatives and it takes a while for the body to adjust to the chemicals.

It goes like this. I am eating the typical SAD and go "low carb" so now I drink lots of diet soda full of artificial sweeteners, eat lots of bacon and ham full of nitrites, msg, preservatives etc, and lots of other processed meats.

All of these chemicals flood the body at the same time it is trying to make the switch from burning carbs to burning fat and causes issues. Once the switch is made to burining fat is better able to deal with the chemicals.

I am not saying this is the case with you but most people who have so called "inducation flu", "low carb flu", etc do not really follow even what Dr. Atkins lays out in his book they do not eat the veggies they are supposed to and load up with chemicals.

Having said that the best way to see and measure if you are in Ketosis is to go to any drug store, wal-mart, etc that sells diabetic testing supplies and get some "Keto Stix". You get 50 of them for around 8-13 bucks (at least here in the US) and you pee on them. If they turn from yellow to pink you are in Ketosis the deeper the pink to purple the more ketones you have.

Using the sticks I aim to be in "low" to "moderate" ketosis for 10-14 days during which time I will drop weight and then hit a wall. I will then break my ketosis by eating some fruit and honey for a day or two (it does not take much). Then I go back to my "regular diest" and go back into ketosis again.

The way I figure it this works because Grok did not have ready access to things high in sugar, so when he found that bee hive full of honey, or that tree full of fresh fruit he ate a bunch. This did not happen for him everyday
                            Just for fun, I agree with everything Wally B Sr has said!

Comment

Originally posted by Wally_B_Sr View Post
                              I'm not sure it would be possible to disagree more. The wrongness is just epic.

There's been extensive discussion here about the biochemistry of ketosis. For some of us who've rarely or never utilized this energy production pathway and have diminished or nonexistent metabolic flexibility, getting this pathway up and running can be brutal while enzyme production ramps up and cortisol normalizes. Absolutely brutal.

Another point is that we're only spilling ketones that show up on ketostix for an initial period of time. After our body essentially figures it out, ketone utilization, we stop spillling them. We're still in ketosis regardless of what the stick says.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Working...
                              X