Essential foods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential foods?

Which foods do you think is essential if you want to eat healthy on a budget for example?
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

meat, vegetables, a little fruit

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
      I was thinking a bit more specific than that. ;-)
      "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
      Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Comment

Kerrygold.
        or, if you are not of herder stock;
        coconut.
        activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

Liver, pastured butter, coconut oil, low omega-6 meats like beef and lamb, fish, shellfish, a very wide variety of vegetables.

Gordo

Comment

For me it would be spinach (or other dark greens), avocados, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, butter, fresh or frozen berries, coconut milk, dark chocolate, canned salmon & tuna, eggs, and meat: beef, pork, chicken. I don't like lamb and I haven't gotten the eating of offal ... yet. But I do have a calf liver in the freezer.

The above list are my staples and I add bits and pieces that I fancy or find on sale: cauliflower, broccoli, chard, kale, baby cucumbers, grape tomatoes, fresh peaches, apples, almond butter, etc.

And a few supplements: Vit D, fish oil, magnesium citrate, B12.
            Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
            Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
            CW: 146.8 lbs
            GW 140 lbs
            A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

On a budget? Pastured eggs and russet potatoes.
              "One can only be a perfect physician for oneself alone. " ~ Luigi Cornaro

Comment

I wouldn't put chicken(or turkey or duck or pork) on an essential list because they are relatively high in omega-6. The same with nuts. They're more like occasional foods.

Gordo

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                  This is really the best answer. You don't need to get more specific than this because it doesn't really matter which varieties of those you eat. As long as none of it is processed and you are eliminating wheat and beans and things like that, you are doing fine.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Wire View Post
                    On a budget? Pastured eggs and russet potatoes.
                    +1
                    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Agree with Grumpy Caveman - and I think variety is really important. No one food has everything you need, and the more you vary the foods, the more chance you have of getting the micronutrients you need.
                      Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                        This is really the best answer. You don't need to get more specific than this because it doesn't really matter which varieties of those you eat. As long as none of it is processed and you are eliminating wheat and beans and things like that, you are doing fine.
                        That is of course true, but for newcomers it might be helpful to get more of an idea of what they need to eat.
                        The reason I ask is because I can't afford to spend too much money on food so I want to get value for my money. I do like cod for example, but it's so low fat that I have to eat a lot of it, or add a lot of fat to feel full, and that makes it a more expensive meal than say lambs mince.
                        Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Comment

If I have to prioritize where my money is being spent, it's going to primarily go to clean fat. Toxins are often concentrated in the fat, so getting the cleanest sources of meat, eggs, and dairy (if you eat it) is something I think pays off. Then good quality oils for cooking, since the cheap industrial oils are so inflammatory. As for produce, I'd go conventional for the sorts of things that don't concentrate pesticides and only buy organic for the ones that do, or just don't buy them if they're too expensive.

I try to eat seasonally so CSAs and farmer's markets are great for that. Pro Tip: Go to the farmer's market in the last 1/2 hour or so. Many sellers slash the prices to avoid hauling stuff back.

Comment

Pastured eggs, greens (I prefer spinach -- and it keeps well for long, no waste!), potatoes, and the fat you like/can afford/can tolerate: pastured butter or ghee or coconut oil.

Another essential for me is canned tuna. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

So, the pastured stuff isn't _the_ cheapest, but its the most bang for your buck -- and it _is_ essential. I wouldn't bother with non-pastured eggs and butter.

Comment

Organ meats, eggs, butter.
                              Me@twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X