Calories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calories

Hello~ I am new to Primal eating and need a little help... I am under the impression that you don't need to worry about calories. How do you know you are not overeating/consuming too many calories? I want to loose weight and want to make sure I am burning enough to actually accomplish weight loss.

I can only speak for myself, but I've been losing on about 1600 cals per day. There are so many variables that counting calories is really not an ideal way to go about losing weight - height, muscle mass, activity level, hormonal condition, previous weight loss activities...

Your best bet is to post your stats for us and a sample meal plan for critique. Usually people new to the PB go way too heavy on nuts and full-fat dairy and wonder why they aren't losing, so you might want to keep that in mind.

Good luck though! And welcome
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Thanks for the info! So my stats meaning height and weight? Ugh ;( not so excited to do that. But if that's what you think I should do...I will. I am also under the impression we should not be eating a ton of dairy, is that right? I have to admit that Primal eating goes against everything my brain knows for weight loss however after reading the book it does make perfect sense to me. I am also trying to get my hubby on board

Comment

It's tough to over eat if your sticking to meat, veggies and good fats. It's the fruit, coconut, nuts/seeds and starchy carbs that rack up the calories.
        http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kitoi View Post
          It's tough to over eat if your sticking to meat, veggies and good fats. It's the fruit, coconut, nuts/seeds and starchy carbs that rack up the calories.
          +1 Especially if your veggies are the leafy green variety and you don't go overboard & start chugging down coconut oil!
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

If you want to count calories you can - some people do, but more just as a guide to see where they are. Lots of people find they are hungry on a lot less calories when eating primal. That certainly happened to me.
            Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Originally posted by amy76 View Post
              How do you know you are not overeating/consuming too many calories?
              Measure your body composition.

I want to loose weight and want to make sure I am burning enough to actually accomplish weight loss.
              Are you trying to lose fat or lean?

Comment

Thanks everyone for the helpful info!

Comment

When I eat primal foods and stay focused on the basics, I am able to trust my appetite as a guide for how much food I should eat. This is especially true when I eat very cleanly - meats, fats, veggies, some fruits.

But part of it will depend on your goals. Eating this way has taken me from a size 14 to a size 4, but I still have some body fat that I would love to lose. I'm not sure if I can get super lean without cutting calories - but I'm just going to see what happens. I would recommend just trying the basics for a month and see if that is good for you and then you can tweak a little if you need to.
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

A 14 to size 4? That is wonderful and very encouraging I have a hard time eating high fat foods and not worrying that the fat in the foods are going to add fat to my body. I am going to eat what is allowed and see what happens. Also using my hunger as a guide like you suggested. Breakfast today was eggs with cheese and 1 slice of bacon. That is primal allowed right?

Comment

A 14 to size 4? That is wonderful and very encouraging I have a hard time eating high fat foods and not worrying that the fat in the foods are going to add fat to my body. I am going to eat what is allowed and see what happens. Also using my hunger as a guide like you suggested. Breakfast today was eggs with cheese and 1 slice of bacon. That is primal allowed right?
                      I went from an 8 to a 4 (almost a 2 now!) in the course of nine months. I eat 60-70% of my diet as fat, just so you know--mostly from grass-fed meats, butter, eggs, avocados, cream & cheese.

Sounds like a good breakfast! I just finished my 3 eggs, 1/2 tomato, guacamole and sour cream.
                      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I'm still pretty new at this but I want to help reassure you because the feelings of guilt and doubt that I had when I started are still very fresh in my mind. Like Dragonfly, about 60-70% of my diet is fat. Mostly the fat comes from meat, eggs, heavy cream (in my morning coffee), and coconut and olive oil when I cook veggies, plus the occassional avocado or spoonful of almond butter.

When I started (only three weeks ago, but I've already lost a half inch around both my hips and my waist, my belly bloat has nearly disappeared, and I just feel better), I was really, really nervous about calories too. It's so hard to just up and forget what you've been told is true your whole life! I do actually still count calories -- or at least estimate. I use DailyPlate.com to keep track of everything I eat, partly to see calories and keep myself honest, but mostly because I still need help figuring out how many carbs are in what (I try to stay between 50-75g a day). You should worry more about carbs than calories, but even then, counting isn't necessary as long as you don't go overboard on dairy, nuts, or fruit.

But you might want to use something like DailyPlate for awhile anyway. I say that just because it was incredibly reassuring and convincing for me to see that, just like everyone says, I really was feeling full on ~1300 calories a day. For comparison, the way I used to eat previously, I would eat 1800-2200 calories to feel full, which I know because I ate "normally" for a day and plugged everything in to see. For me, the average of ~1300/day (some days more, some days less, depending on activity level) does happen to be a slight calorie deficit, but I haven't had to work at all to achieve it, it just happens naturally.
                        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                        “The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature.” -- Joseph Campbell

Comment

Calories/total amount of food still matters when you're eating a Primal diet, but if you're eating the right foods, your body's natural regulation should help take care of eating the right amount. If I go after processed carbs, I could easily eat 4000+ calories/day. On my current diet consisting primarily of meats/veggies along with a smaller amount of fruit/nuts, it's much harder to overeat because those foods fill you up a lot more.

So the short answer is that calories still matter, but the first focus should be on quality of foods, not quantity. Focus on eating good, whole foods and don't obsess over some arbitrary number of calories. Give it a month or so - and only then consider adjustments if you aren't seeing the results you want.

Comment

I agree with tracking your food, at least for the first month or so. Some foods can be very surprising when you actually see the stats, especially compared to other things you eat during the day.

But don't be afraid of fat - it's good stuff! Make sure you get plenty of it, but the right kind.
                            Durp.

Comment

Another benefit of tracking foods is that it helps you see if your vitamin and mineral intakes are ok. It is much easier to be well nourished from food eating this way, but there are still some things I have to supplement for because I just don't eat tons of calories these days.
                              Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Working...
                              X