test if my body is using fat as a fuel resouerce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• test if my body is using fat as a fuel resouerce

Anyone knows if there is a test to find out if the body has switch to fat energy?

This is because im been going probably 70% primal, and before anyone get all fanatic, im not 100% because maybe 2 meal a week i get to eat some sort of grain. For example yesterday dinner i ate carne asada and had 3 corn tortillas, today morning im skipping breakfast, just having a frappucino (not a fan of hot coffe) for damage control.
    Also for IF i eat dinner and skip breakfast, do the frapuccino, no cream (still very sweet) and eat normal lunch say 2 pm. is this correct?

So please, instead of criticism, what i need is advice and suggestions.

thanks

Supposedly keto stix would tell you this...I have read about them here several places but I have not personally used them. Others...?

Comment

You're seriously going to drink a frappuccino for damage control?

Comment

If you can go more than 5hrs, 10hrs, 16hrs without eating and feel comfortable you're burning fat as fuel
        http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

ok thanks. The frappucino is no for damage control, its just instead of hot coffe

Comment

Some people find they have strange smelling urine, a metallic taste in their mouths, have some insomnia (at first), and feel very energetic when they enter ketosis. You can also test your urine for the presence of ketones. After a year on primal, I still have ketones in my urine whenever I go to the doctor - although some people only see them in the beginning.

I completely agree with kitoi about the stable blood sugar - this morning I woke up all shaky and starving and I know it's because I have been eating poorly this week and am back burning sugar right now.

I'm not an expert but I would guess the frappacino will kick most people out of fat burning mode pretty quickly because of the concentrated hit of pure sugar. Not a big deal as the occasional treat, but I would find a different breakfast beverage for every day/general consumption.
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

thanks a lot jammies

Comment

[QUOTE=jammies;530813]You can also test your urine for the presence of ketones. After a year on primal, I still have ketones in my urine whenever I go to the doctor - although some people only see them in the beginning.
                QUOTE]

I have never used a Keto Stix. I'd like to test my urine. What do you look for or how do you read them? I know they are pretty expensive.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rosemary 231;530839]
                  Originally posted by jammies View Post
                  You can also test your urine for the presence of ketones. After a year on primal, I still have ketones in my urine whenever I go to the doctor - although some people only see them in the beginning.
                  QUOTE]

I have never used a Keto Stix. I'd like to test my urine. What do you look for or how do you read them? I know they are pretty expensive.
                  I think it is $8 for 50 of the generic brand at CVS and they change color if ketones are present. Unless you are color blind, it shouldn't be hard to read.

Comment

You don't have to be in ketosis to be using fat as fuel. Nor do you need to be in ketosis to lose body fat. It works more like a dial system than switching from on or off. If you have been under 150g of carbs a day then you are burning fat as fuel. Think about it. 150g of carbs only supplies 600 calories most of which your brain will be using. Where does the rest of your energy come from throughout the rest of the day and night? Magic? Lightning? Or maybe Free Fatty Acids. Whether those FFA come from your food or your ass depends on many factors I won't get into. Also having a frapamochadoublechino, or whatever, will not "switch off" (dial down really) fat burning depending on the context.
                    Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

[QUOTE=tcb;530869]
                      Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post

I think it is $8 for 50 of the generic brand at CVS and they change color if ketones are present. Unless you are color blind, it shouldn't be hard to read.
                      That's the best price I've seen and we have a CVS here. No problems with color blindness. Are there degrees of Ketones present or is it that just any present shows I'm "living off the fat of the land"? Thanks

Comment

doesnt sound like you would be in ketosis.

if you want to check the ketostix are real easy to use, just pass the little swab through your urine stream and they turn a different color and you check the color against the scale on the bottle. if they dont change color you dont have any ketones present in your urine

however like i said from what you describe for your diet i doubt you will get anything out of using them

what are your goals with PB? are you trying to lose weight? have you read the book?
                        Primal Chaos
                        37yo 6'5"
                        6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                        current 338lbs 49" waist
                        goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Originally posted by Rosemary 231 View Post

That's the best price I've seen and we have a CVS here. No problems with color blindness. Are there degrees of Ketones present or is it that just any present shows I'm "living off the fat of the land"? Thanks
                          The darker the purple, the more ketones... There is a scale on the side on the container. I could be off on price, but I probably wouldn't have spent much more than that. Good luck.

Edit: on sale for $6.99

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...new_crumb=true
                          Last edited by tcb; 08-06-2011, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Constak View Post
                            ok thanks. The frappucino is no for damage control, its just instead of hot coffe
                            Seriously? FYI that if you want a Starbucks frappucinos, you can ask them to make it w/o sugar. They will look at you like you're crazy (but I don't care). If you have a blender at home you can make a sugar free frap at home easily. Just add some heavy cream or half and half if you prefer, a Starbucks Via packet, and a few cubes of ice. Blend.

Voila. Your iced coffee minus tons of sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by tcb View Post
                              The darker the purple, the more ketones... There is a scale on the side on the container. I could be off on price, but I probably wouldn't have spent much more than that. Good luck.

Edit: on sale for $6.99

Buy CVS Ketocare Reagent Strips online at CVS.com
                              And just to be sure I understand - I want ketones - the dark purple on the test strip? Thanks, again.
                              $6.99 - better and better!
                              Last edited by Rosemary 231; 08-06-2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X