Canned oysters in water!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canned oysters in water!

Yes!! Sooooo affordable, Primal and satisfying as well as richly delicious. I quit eating them because they always seemed to be in bad oils. Now I've found them in water! I drink the water! It's a win!

Anybody know where all the zinc goes when they can it? Cooked away?

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Mollusks, oyster, eastern, canned
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Minerals are not heat sensitive like vitamins, so Zn content would be similar to raw. (Some would transfer to cooking liquid.) I don't think Zn is usually listed on nutritional data . . .

How do you eat them?

Comment

They are super high in zinc. I think you'd want to be careful not to do it every day or you could zinc overload - you get 10x your RDA in one can: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Mollusks, oyster, eastern, canned
      Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Trader Joes has smoked oysters in olive oil.

Comment

Originally posted by shrona View Post
          Minerals are not heat sensitive like vitamins, so Zn content would be similar to raw. (Some would transfer to cooking liquid.) I don't think Zn is usually listed on nutritional data . . .

How do you eat them?
          I take an 8 oz can and scramble them with about 6 eggs and some chopped cilantro and onions. Fry in butter and serve with fish sauce for seasoning. Chinese style fritata :P

Comment

Oh, ha ha. I'm definitely not afraid of zinc. Good looking out, though.

I'll check out the Joe's oysters, but have a feeling they'll cost more.

Nice recipe!
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
            X