Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do for "damage control" when forced to not eat primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do for "damage control" when forced to not eat primal?

I've been primal for 3 months without slipping up. It's relatively easy and I feel great knowing I'm off a SAD diet. However, today a co-worker is leaving and we had a goodbye lunch for her. I had to either eat pizza with the co-workers or leave them wondering why I wasn't eating, so pizza it was.

Should I skip dinner tonight? Or perhaps I just ignore it and make a primal dinner like I always do?

Next time, take a lunch and tell anyone who's nosy enough to ask that you're testing to see if you're gluten intolerant. And yes, you are, so you don't have to explain in the future why you're not eating crap from work.

Unless you're concerned about calories (and pizza has them in spades) eat a normal primal dinner. If you're concerned about the calories, then eat a lighter primal supper. But dont' stress about it after this. What's done is done.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
      Next time, take a lunch and tell anyone who's nosy enough to ask that you're testing to see if you're gluten intolerant. And yes, you are, so you don't have to explain in the future why you're not eating crap from work.
      I agree, if you can be prepared ahead of time, bring your own. Most pizza places also serve salads, so you could order salad in place of the pizza.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're hungry, eat a good primal dinner. If you're not, then don't.
      My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

Thanks guys,

This isn't all bad. I'm falling asleep right now from the insulin spike, so it's a nice reminder of the many reasons SAD diets suck.

Comment

When I eat out i double up in my fish oil.. assuming that the restaurant used high omega 6 vegetable oils

Comment

I'd rather leave people wondering any day! My body = my right to decide what I put in it, or not.

Stay at this long enough and you will no longer care about what others think or say or how they react. Who really should give a damn if you are eating or not?

Comment

If your biggest concern is the crust, don't eat it: scrape off the toppings. If it's the entire pizza, bring your own meal, etc, as others have suggested. I've gotten to the point where I do not let others dictate what I put in my body. If they ask about the grain, I just tell them that I don't eat grain because my body runs better off it.
              Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

nobody forced you to eat pizza.

eating primal should not be something a person has to hide or be embarrassed about. i see it all the time on here. stand up for yourselves and what you believe in people. if others dont like it who cares?
                Primal Chaos
                37yo 6'5"
                6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                current 338lbs 49" waist
                goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

I don't eat, and I say "I don't feel good when I eat pizza". If I know ahead of time, I bring my own stuff, or maybe just have a coffee or tea.
                  Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post

eating primal should not be something a person has to hide or be embarrassed about. i see it all the time on here. stand up for yourselves and what you believe in people. if others dont like it who cares?
                    +1
                    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

+2

I've started looking at it this way: other people think it's rude when you don't eat their junk that damages your body, which makes no sense. In turn, I believe it's rude that they get an attitude because I don't want to eat garbage. Nobody should force anyone to eat anything, especially if it is bad for you and they all know it. We are NOT responsible for other people's guilt and "misery loves company" way of thinking. They don't have to eat it either, so they shouldn't project their guilt onto you because you have some self-control. If more people stood up to others, this world would be a better place, and others would learn to accept eachother or mind their own business. It is a FACT that conventional pizza and all that other garbage is bad for; it's not your fault that people CHOOSE to ignore facts. They can say well "oh, everything in moderation" NO. It's bad for you. People need to learn to stop rationalizing.

Sorry for the rant
                      && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

Comment

This is what I do for damage control.
                        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

I take apple cider vinegar and bitter melon pills to help keep my blood sugar stable (I carry them in my purse). The next day I do a nearly zero carb day, maybe just steak and eggs. Drink enough water. Any tummy troubles and cravings from the crap food is usually gone by the next day. Back to normal after that.

Comment

Wow...

Lots of harshness toward the OP. I *had* been pretty impressed so far with the lack of that in the MDA community...

I realize that in an ideal world we can just tell people to GTH and that's that on the matter.

But out here in the real world it's not that simple. I get it and obviously the OP gets it. There ARE social implications to going against the grain (so to speak) and that's doubly so in the work environment. Trying to navigate that is stressful enough -- I don't think Mark would advocate the way some people here have piled on and only added to that stress. Being a part of the "work culture" is often vitally important to one's future job prospects (unemployment adds even more stress) but, also from a purely psychological point of view, you don't want to strain those "tribal connections" that Mark talks about by being rigid. I think there's room for some "compromise of choice" here. IMO, the psychological benefit of being able to dig into a pizza with the gang at work versus having to explain what you're doing AGAIN has benefit that (so long as it's done within the framework of PB, INCLUDING the 80/20 rule) outweighs the small physical "anti-benefit" of consuming said pizza.

My advice, fwiw, is to NOT stress about it, move on, and continue with your primal approach (which I know there were some that echoed this, I was NOT talking to you in the first paragraph). Consider it part of the 80/20 rule and don't look back. Sure, look for ways to assert your way of life as a positive (paying mind to proper time and place, which is often EVERYTHING in these circumstances) and you might find that you change some minds around you -- BECAUSE you are able to be flexible about it.
                            Last edited by tim_1522; 08-05-2011, 03:09 PM.
                            Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
                            Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

Well said Tim, I agree - it is quite problematic not to participate in the social sharing of food, on several levels. And what should be a celebration can make you feel a bit awkward, and others feel bad for not including you or ... well and so on.

Great idea to have some BYO supplies so that you can be eating something with the group.

For damage control, I believe there's some enzymes you can get from health food stores which are helpful for celiacs in such cases, and probiotics generally are helpful. The sudden intake of starch may make your gut flora go haywire, hence the gas and discomfort - the PerfectHealthDiet peeps recomment loads of probiotics to help get them under control.
                              If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Comment

Working...
                              X