Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Pregnancy Guest Blog post on Primal Toad's blog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Hi Shema~
    Thanks for your comments!

    Can you eat eggs and dairy? As I said in the blog post, creamy foods can work well for those with a meat aversion in early pregnancy. That said, every pregnancy is different, so you may not have any issues at all this time.

    Just so you know-- several folks on this forum have totally reversed their Type II diabetes by eating a very low carb Primal diet. You may wish to do a search for their stories if you want more info on this!
    Thanks so much for your reply!!! During my first trimester I also had an aversion to eggs! In fact, at the time, I did not know I was going to be diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and I knew nothing about being Primal, so, during the first 6 months I would sometimes indulge my cravings for salty foods with french fries. I cringe when I think of it now b/c potatoes send my blood sugars through the roof!

    When I finally did find out I had "gestational", I was testing my blood sugar like crazy and quickly figured out that meats, veggies and strawberries did not send me spiking through the roof. (By that time the meat aversion had gone away). So during the last trimester I was unknowingly being primal. And after I delivered, the weight melted off!

    Anyway, yes, you're right, creamy foods would probably be a good option. I'm just trying to plan ahead (way ahead I guess) for what foods I can eat - especially in the even that I develop food aversion - b/c I'm so scared of what high blood sugars would do to me or to a fetus early on. I've considered Greek yogurt, nut smoothies etc. But even greek yogurt is a tad bit higher on the spectrum of carbs than I care for.

    And to your point, I do know that I can control my Type II with very low carb Primal and have succeeded in doing so in the past. For instance in the last several weeks I've been pretty strict with diet and exercise and I've managed to keep my blood sugar in the 80s! (I am not on insulin BTW). But, I had been lax with my diet in the past which is why I'm now trying to get rid of 25 excess pounds before trying to get pregnant.

    As I'd mentioned, my endo insists that I'll have to eat 150g a day, be on insulin, and he's hooking me up with a dietician. But I'm dreading what the dietician will tell me b/c I'm quite certain she'll insist that I'll need to eat plenty of carbs. So scary....
    Last edited by shema; 08-04-2011, 06:54 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by shema View Post
      Thanks so much for your reply!!! During my first trimester I also had an aversion to eggs! In fact, at the time, I did not know I was going to be diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and I knew nothing about being Primal, so, during the first 6 months I would sometimes indulge my cravings for salty foods with french fries. I cringe when I think of it now b/c potatoes send my blood sugars through the roof!

      When I finally did find out I had "gestational", I was testing my blood sugar like crazy and quickly figured out that meats, veggies and strawberries did not send me spiking through the roof. (By that time the meat aversion had gone away). So during the last trimester I was unknowingly being primal. And after I delivered, the weight melted off!

      Anyway, yes, you're right, creamy foods would probably be a good option. I'm just trying to plan ahead (way ahead I guess) for what foods I can eat - especially in the even that I develop food aversion - b/c I'm so scared of what high blood sugars would do to me or to a fetus early on. I've considered Greek yogurt, nut smoothies etc. But even greek yogurt is a tad bit higher on the spectrum of carbs than I care for.

      And to your point, I do know that I can control my Type II with very low carb Primal and have succeeded in doing so in the past. For instance in the last several weeks I've been pretty strict with diet and exercise and I've managed to keep my blood sugar in the 80s! (I am not on insulin BTW). But, I had been lax with my diet in the past which is why I'm not trying to get rid of 25 excess pounds before trying to get pregnant.

      As I'd mentioned, my endo insists that I'll have to eat 150g a day, be on insulin, and he's hooking me up with a dietician. But I'm dreading what the dietician will tell me b/c I'm quite certain she'll insist that I'll need to eat plenty of carbs. So scary....
      I understand. I am sensitive to eggs, so to get enough protein for breakfasts, it is often lots of nuts and plain yogurt, nut butters and a sausage patty or some bacon, or even half of a sweet potato sprinkled liberally with nuts plus a breakfast meat or cheese. Granted, I have mentioned meat quite a bit, but sometimes when I was pg, just taking the first bite, the meat tasted so good, even though it didn't sound good.

      As far as the endo, insulin, dietitcian, etc., you do have the right to do what you know to be best for your body. I know that arguing with medical types is exhausting. Like, why do I need to freak my system out with glucola when I can tell you exactly what it is going to do to me? My advice is that if you know what your body needs, just play by the rules just enough to get you by & do what you need to do.

      Good luck!
      Amy
      ~wife and mother

      Started primal a month before the end of my pregnancy with P who is now 1. Went from a size 14 down to a size 4 in less than a year. Now sitting at 20-21% body fat, a solid 130 pounds, and 5'9". Feeling better than ever before, and able to run around and chase my 5 little boys who range in age from 14 months up to 11.5 years old.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by mamagault View Post
        As far as the endo, insulin, dietitcian, etc., you do have the right to do what you know to be best for your body. I know that arguing with medical types is exhausting. Like, why do I need to freak my system out with glucola when I can tell you exactly what it is going to do to me? My advice is that if you know what your body needs, just play by the rules just enough to get you by & do what you need to do.

        Good luck!
        Thank you for reminding me that I DON'T have to listen to the docs! In fact, I believe I really got screwed the last time I did. They were all so alarmed that I was losing a few pounds in my last trimester that they were pushing carbs like crazy and eventually put me on glyburide b/c I was "limiting" myself too much! At the time, I did not know how detrimental that drug was. For all I know it caused my Type II. (It pushes your pancreas to secrete more insulin). I am still kicking myself and cursing the docs.

        Comment


        • #19
          ...you do have the right to do what you know to be best for your body.
          So true, Mamagault!

          I repeat this constantly to the mamas I work with. So many of us have given up our autonomy to those in authority--and pregnancy/parenthood always offers great opportunities for us to choose more consciously.

          Best wished for a relaxed pregnancy, Shema!
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

          Comment


          • #20
            I love synchronicities!

            Today's success story on the MDA blog is a Primal Pregnancy story!
            I Started to Take Measures Into My Own Hands | Mark's Daily Apple
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

            Comment


            • #21
              I'm so happy there are more and more resources for paleo pregnancy! I'm blogging my paleo pregnancy here if anyone's interested: www.paleohailey.com. I'm almost ten weeks now and I've had a few ups and downs... that whole paleo = no morning sickness thing? Not true for me! But I feel like I'm back on track, and I'm committed to sticking with paleo. I also really recommend Chris Kresser's Healthy Baby Code... there wasn't much in it I didn't already know, but it definitely helped me feel more confident about my decision to stay paleo. Here's to a happy and healthy pregnancy for all the paleo moms-to-be!

              Comment


              • #22
                You guys are soooo awesome!! I'm ttc as of last month. I've been fretting over what to tell my doc about my diet. guess it'll be none-ya!!
                Doctors can be terrible. I had my first 2 babies without an epidural and they gave me a stinkin catheter when I had my oldest and forgot to take it out while I was trying to push. I know better this time and I told my (new) hubby that he can bring me a bedpan if they don't want me getting up to go to the bathroom.
                Sorry abou the off topic rant but I think it shows how little some doctors know.
                Had no idea I was so weak till I started walking in October. Could barely make it around the block!
                Now can walk on the beach for hours.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Thanks so much for that post! I began a primal diet two months ago and I'm now six weeks pregnant with my third child, so it was very timely for me. So far, other than needing an afternoon nap, I feel great. No nausea, bloating or digestive problems, which I had almost immediately with my other two. I'm looking forward to seeing how this pregnancy and delivery differs. I'm also hoping this child will have nice teeth (both my girls may need braces) since I was WAPF for four years before becoming primal!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by paleo_hailey View Post
                    I'm so happy there are more and more resources for paleo pregnancy! I'm blogging my paleo pregnancy here if anyone's interested: www.paleohailey.com. I'm almost ten weeks now and I've had a few ups and downs... that whole paleo = no morning sickness thing? Not true for me! But I feel like I'm back on track, and I'm committed to sticking with paleo. I also really recommend Chris Kresser's Healthy Baby Code... there wasn't much in it I didn't already know, but it definitely helped me feel more confident about my decision to stay paleo. Here's to a happy and healthy pregnancy for all the paleo moms-to-be!
                    Hailey! I found your blog just yesterday, and now I run into you here!

                    Was just trying to leave you some comments on your blog, and wrote out an essay before realising I don't have a suitable 'account' to post! D'oh!

                    Nevermind, chance would have it that I found you here!

                    Re calcium intake: good sources I have found are tinned fish with bones (salmon, sardines), crispy fried prawn tails, whitebait from you fav Greek restaurant, full fat greek yoghurt (I know you find dairy a little irksome, but I noticed you had it on your list of things you miss from OZ), European mineral water (has, amongst other goodies, calcium in what I believe to be a very assimilable form, so effective in quite low doses), roasted small poultry bones (like wing tips chewed to a paste, and quail - I eat almost all the bones in those little suckers - yumm). I reckon you should start at the beginning tho' and maybe check how your levels are just by living primally. I had my blood work done at 9 wks, and my levels were at the high end of the normal range, and there is no way I get 1200mg per day. I suspect that SAD eating has some calcium leaching properties, and thus some high intake requirements to compensate. Although I cringe when I think of frail old ladies being told those chalky calcium tablets are just the thing to boost their calcium levels. How can our bodies use that stuff effectively? Really?

                    Also, re your caloric intake, surely a little extra good fats will get you there easily? I can relate, on the paleo+morning sickness train. But I suspect it could certainly be worse! I'm currently at 14 wks, so the majority of that effect seems to have slacked off now! Hooray! And I'm back to eating like a horse! Truth be told, I was strangely glad to get morning sickness, as it signaled that little Bam-Bam/Pebbles is sticking in there, unlike my previous little bean.

                    I will have to do something about getting some kind of google account so I can comment on your blog, as I am surely going to follow it! I notice you were clever, and are going to birth your Groklette before the weather gets too hot. I'm bonkers, and am having mine at the end of what I am coming to suspect will be a long hot Queensland summer......It's only August and it already feels like spring......

                    Anyone else out there in the forum up-the-duff an looking for a chat? LOL I think I will have to start a new thread.

                    PS I loved the guest post on Toad's blog, it came at just the right time! Thanks!
                    Last edited by Dino Babe; 08-06-2011, 05:49 PM.
                    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde

                    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

                    "Forever is composed of nows" - Emily Dickinson

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                      So true, Mamagault!

                      I repeat this constantly to the mamas I work with. So many of us have given up our autonomy to those in authority--and pregnancy/parenthood always offers great opportunities for us to choose more consciously.

                      Best wished for a relaxed pregnancy, Shema!
                      Totally. Out of my (to be) 6 births, 1st was traditional hospital with meds, 2nd was a freeing home waterbirth with some awesome midwives (went out of practice the day of my 6wk pp appt - boo), 3rd hospital waterbirth with a midwife that was almost as awesome as homebirth, 4th home waterbirth (accidentally unassisted, though midwife talking dh through on phone), 5th elective induction at a hospital, 6th planned elective induction at same hospital. There is a really long story on why the last two have not been homebirths, and I don't mind answering questions about it, just not on a public forum (i.e., if you're curious, pm me). However, I am empowered knowing that my choices are best for me and my babies, and my current OB is more than willing to let me "drive" almost all of my care (except the glucose test & that's going to change if we have any more babies). I wouldn't feel this way, however, if it hadn't been for the midwifery model of care I received with pregnancies #2, 3, and 4.
                      Amy
                      ~wife and mother

                      Started primal a month before the end of my pregnancy with P who is now 1. Went from a size 14 down to a size 4 in less than a year. Now sitting at 20-21% body fat, a solid 130 pounds, and 5'9". Feeling better than ever before, and able to run around and chase my 5 little boys who range in age from 14 months up to 11.5 years old.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Loved this Dragonfly! Will share the link with any future preggo mamas I know!
                        My Before/After Pics
                        Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

                        "I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Dinobabe, I'm so glad you like the blog! Looks like I am on my way to finding some paleo pregnancy buddies I've just changed the settings around so you can comment without an account, hope that makes it easier... let's get talking! If I read one more thread on babycenter about pizza binges I'm going to puke (even with the Zofran.)

                          Your calcium suggestions are great. I am definitely thinking about getting some bloodwork done just to make sure everything's in the right range... that might be my next post, what are the big things to watch for? I used to do a fair bit of tinkering with supplements but so many are not pregnancy safe.

                          And yes... I don't envy you and the Queensland summer! I think I timed this baby perfectly to avoid the heat... although we are planning to go home for Christmas if everything's looking good, I'll be 28-30 weeks then and I'm guessing it's going to be very hot. But not all-summer-long-in-Queensland-hot... just keep repeating "this is good for my vitamin D levels, this is good for my vitamin D levels!"

                          Thank you for saying your morning sickness is easing up... I live in hope! It's been really rough. I think I was way too optimistic after all those "paleo women don't get morning sickness" stories... nice to know I am not alone, even though I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by paleo_hailey View Post
                            I'm so happy there are more and more resources for paleo pregnancy! I'm blogging my paleo pregnancy here if anyone's interested: www.paleohailey.com.
                            Looking forward to checking out your blog, Hailey!
                            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Dino Babe View Post
                              Anyone else out there in the forum up-the-duff an looking for a chat? LOL I think I will have to start a new thread.

                              PS I loved the guest post on Toad's blog, it came at just the right time! Thanks!
                              Feel free to chat away here! This is how we all learn from each other, lol!

                              So glad the blog post was helpful!
                              Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                              Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                              Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                                Loved this Dragonfly! Will share the link with any future preggo mamas I know!
                                Thanks, FairyRae!!!
                                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X