Anything to the Serotonin Diet or BS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything to the Serotonin Diet or BS?

Read a Serotonin diet book, about eating carbs to prevent sugar cravings after dinner and that search for something sweet after hours... Did anyone tried a tablespoon or so of honey or sweet potato at the crucial 2 to 4 pm (I agree with the book that it's the Universal Carb Craving Time) and did it impact cravings after dinner?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I have never tried this on purpose, but agree that for me, this is the carb-craving time. If I eat a carb after 4, it doesn't seem to negatively affect cravings for the rest of the day. Before 4 and I am in trouble.

Comment

I eat a teaspoon of honey a day. Bit hard not to, being a beekeeper. I think it's fine to cheat a bit though- I hardly eat enough vegetables either.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
        Read a Serotonin diet book, about eating carbs to prevent sugar cravings after dinner ...
        Eating carbs to prevent one's wanting carbs sounds a bit backwards. Has it ever been known to help in properly controlled studies? My understanding is that eating some generally means you want more: hence those "bet you can't eat just one" commercials. The thing is they're true. I'd think more likely decrease the amount of carbs in the dinner, if one gets a sugar craving after eating.

I think there's some evidence that a relatively high carb diet can increase production of serotonin at least in the short term, but there are so many downsides to a high-carb diet.

Anyway, how would you make serotonin without enough tryptophan, which could be pretty short in a high-carb diet? If someone was found to be low in serotonin hadn't they best take some 5HTP?

Amazon.com: 5htp

But serotonin is only one thing someone might be low in. I wouldn't assume I was unless I had some measure that showed me I was be it only a high score on that section of the Mood Cure questionnaire:

The Mood Cure

Comment

Sounds similar to the radiant recovery, Potatoes Not Prozac approach. You may find it interesting: http://http://www.radiantrecovery.com/

Do you have a link on the serotonin diet book you were reading? Just interested!
          My Before/After Pics
          Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

This would never work for me. I have a world-class sweet tooth, but anything sweet is a trigger for me to overeat. However, total abstinence works for me. If I don't allow myself to taste anything sweet, I have NO cravings at all.

Comment

I have found that when you add in hot spices to carbohydrates it makes you not want them as much.
              Today for breakfast I was going to have a huge carbohydrate smoothie I made using fresh fruit and vegetables. I added in some curry, cinnamon, and some hot sauce. I only finished half of the carbohydrate smoothie I was going to digest. Thank the heavens because that would have been around 200 carbohydrates which would have made me go into hibernation mode. The plus side? I can handle 100grams of carbohydrates in the morning from good sources of carbs

Comment

The idea with the Serotonin Diet is that
                -protein-rich diet does not release serotonin, while a small amount of sweet/starchy, low fat carb does (it can't be fruit, because fructose is apparently different), if eaten at the appropriate time of the day and given time to release the hormone. That, according to the authors, prevents the powerful after-dinner need for serotonine 'fix' AND the sweet/strach binges. I want to try it this week. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Title:The serotonin power diet : use your brain's natural chemistry to cut cravings, curb emotional overeating, and lose weight
                Author:Wurtman, Judith J.
                Publisher:Rodale,Pub date:c2006.Pages:xiii, 290 p.ISBN:9781594863462

Comment

This tbsp of honey between 2 and 4 pm was working nicely for me so far. I didn't feel like binging on fruit or anything else after dinner, and did not have endless tea after dinner. A cup or two with a tiny bit of honey was just enough, and yesterday I merely dipped spoon into honey after supper, licked it, and didn't want anything any more. And I have no craving to add art sweetener to my berries or quark. And didn't want any chocolate or jam or panty goods at all. I just hope it is not a 'novelty' effect & I can reduce amount of honey 2x between 2 and 4 pm. AND I went on the deficit of sleep all week so far (just unlucky circumstances, not proud of it). And didn't want coffee this morning.

BUT! Battle Sunday is in just 2 days!

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                    Read a Serotonin diet book, about eating carbs to prevent sugar cravings after dinner and that search for something sweet after hours... Did anyone tried a tablespoon or so of honey or sweet potato at the crucial 2 to 4 pm (I agree with the book that it's the Universal Carb Craving Time) and did it impact cravings after dinner?
                    If you are eating primal/paleo properly you shouldn't be getting sugar cravings.
                    If your carb intake has increased enough to cause cravings, then I think you are not doing any kind of paleo/primal. Here this means a conflict between Serotonin and Primal/Paleo diets.

Comment

This is incorrect. I can quote the New Evolution that tells you that some people continue to experience sweet cravings well into paleo eating and never get rid of it. They recommend BCAA, but if I can use honey, I prefer honey. I had done AD twice which is very low carb, and it only exaggerated my sweets cravings. To be honest, if I can eat fresh produce, a little fruit, loads of protein and healthy fat and a tbsp of honey a day, am happy, break through the weight-lifting plateau and not experience any desire to touch jam, nuts or cheddar or dive into the bins with fruit in the fruit aisle, I do not care what the particular diet is called, Primal, Paleo, Serotonin, or whole-foods. I want to eat things that are healthful, and I believe that honey is a healthy, healing substance.

If it doesn't help me through the Sunday night in a small quantity like that, then I will know that it is not working and try something else.
                      Last edited by Leida; 08-05-2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I do take tryptophan at bedtime... I,too find that onlyabstinance works for sweet cravings. Sometimes I have a little sweet potato with dinner and that seems fine as far as cravings go. I've done it at lunch too and that worked but I wouldn't want to eat sweet potatoes every lunch. Seems it could set me off. Nothing is worth that. I really like being craving free. 5-http makes me cranky and critical. Knave to go for the Trp itself.
                        Wisdom begins in the recognition of how little we know.

(teaching of Socrates)

Comment

I am starting to try ~ 1 cup of sweet potato slices after every heay lifting workout as per LG protocol. That's 3 times a week. So far I did it only twice, Tue and Thursday. The sweet potato never really impacted my cravings though, even when I had it before. Right now, all I want is a Sunday night when I do not end up staying up late and binging one little thing after another. Fingers corssed!

Comment

i have had absolutely zero carb cravings since doing a leptin reset 5 weeks ago.

i know a lot of people are probably sick of hearing about leptin but i believe it really is the key to controlling your appetite. i suspect that it is leptin that is what should be talked about in these books since it is the appetite suppression hormone, not serotinin which actually increases appetite.

why anyone would want to eat carbs to get rid of carb cravings is beyond me. kind of like throwing gasoline on a fire to try to put it out
                            Primal Chaos
                            37yo 6'5"
                            6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
                            current 338lbs 49" waist
                            goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

It is not the hunger thing, which I finally manage with flying colors. It is about the cravings for sweets specifically. I do not know if you have experienced the feeling when you are full, but you are anxious to find *something* and that something is generally chocolate, jam or marshmellows or sprout-grain bread.

In my case, on will-power prohibiting the jam and marshmellows, it resulted in eating a lot of fruit and nuts and dairy after dinner, piece after little piece, berry after berry, a sliver of cheese after a spoon of quark. I do not experience this impulse when I have this tablespoon of honey, and I do not any more of it, after I have it at the right time of the day specified in the book. I do not eat honey as a treat or in responce to a craving. It is like taking a pill that safeguards my dinner. I find that I even get full at dinner on much less than before, and common, a tbsp of honey is what? 90 calories? It cannot contribute that much. And, yes, I tried eating other stuff at that time, egg whites, vegetables, bacon slices, and not one of them had the same blanket positive effect. I mean, how many folks here wax poetic about having a piece of dark chocolate to calm their sweet cravings. Same thing, only the idea is that fat-free honey with its powerful sugar load kicks the brain into happy gear faster.

If the system resets itself after the initial Wow, sugar! shock and I start having the cravings again, I will stop and go back to the good old will-power & egg-whites.

On the whole though, effortless and avoidance of anything artificially distilled and derived is what appeals to me aboutthe Primal/Paleo ideal. I love it that I do not count calories any more. That I do not count the minutes of the excersise. I do not overexercise. I am not miserable. But, I also do not want to graze nut by nut when I do not need any nuts.
                              Last edited by Leida; 08-05-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X