No announcement yet.

Anything to the Serotonin Diet or BS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really glad to hear things are going well. As for Radiant Recovery, well you won'[t get any judgement from me, I left for very similar reasons after 10 years of involvement. The bad food advice (eat more, eat more, eat more, when I was sick with celiac, eat more, eat more, eat more, when I wasn't in perfect health after- I was eating so much I dreaded meals and felt sick and bloated much of the time, I was 270lbs and gaining, when I pointed that out I got told I had "diethead" and didn't want to heal, and then that I had "misery addiction", um no I was just sick) and then also bad life advice when I joined the Friends and Family group to help deal with marriage issues, she told me my husband was abusive, I explained I was behaving badly too and it was a relationship dynamic, so then she asked if he was abusive or I was being a brat, which was it, and accused me of playing her. After 10 years of knowing me her accusing me like that really upset me. And she kept telling me I was totally co-dependent with my husband but after reading a couple of books she recommended I realised it was her I had co-dependency issues with! I was thinking all the time "Would Kathleen approve of this?". I walked away. I've emailed her a couple of times, because there is a lot of wisdom in the program and it's a shame she's messing with people's heads, giving bad advice to those who need more than just the program to be healthy, and driving people away. But I doubt she's able to listen.

Having said that, I'm not going to turn my back of aspects of the RR program that help me. if I hadn't done RR I wouldn't have realised so quickly what was going on when I got increased depression and sugar cravings after going low carb. It's just a shame I can't tolerate starches and disaccharides due to the arthritis.

I think I have been dysthymic all my life, unfortunately. Still trying to find a way to ameliorate it without ADs, but whether I can do that or not, who knows. My mum is on ADs and my dad was too before he died.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Comment

I just wanted to update and say the honey is working brilliantly. I am taking about 2tsp 3 hrs after each meal, I take tryptophan 30-60 mins before as well. I feel better than I have in years and have no sugar or dairy cravings.

However, it's not working for me because it is triggering joint pain flare ups. I guess even though it's monosaccharides it's still feeding the Klebsiella in my gut. So near, yet so far from a solution!
      Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
      Harold Whitman

Comment

Glad its working in some ways Horsewoman!! Hope you figure out the joint pain stuff! (I have experience w/ it, and know it sucks!!!)
        My Before/After Pics
        Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

So, just a little update, I've been doing this for about a week using fruit, mostly bananas. (The sugar is mostly from glucose and sucrose, minimal fructose, which is why I figured it might work after reading about the success of using honey.)

Anyway, I'll typically have half a banana to a whole banana, sometimes w/ other fruit or a little fat (coconut milk etc) and no protein 2-4 hours after lunch and dinner. Maybe its the placebo effect, but I think its really really helping! I am not having any food cravings, esp not for non-primal stuff. (The thought of most non-primal foods kind of grosses me out.) I might sample a piece of super dark chocolate (which I think is totally primal ) without wanting more than a nibble. I am eating lots of good, yummy, primal food, good amounts of protein and veggies as well as some fruit or starchy veg at meals, plus these banana etc extras, and I am not thinking about food at all--at least not in an obsessive, cravy way. I'm just eating good food when I'm hungry, and CRAVING protein (as Leida mentioned earlier) at times when I would have typically craved carbs in the past.

Also, I am not taking any amino acids right now (used to do 5-HTP but was taking a break and am still off of it atm.) This is feeling simple for me, and it hasn't really felt this easy for a long while (after my big breakdown when I fell back into my eating disorder patterns after whole30 early in the year). I'm not counting anything (which I think is very important for *me*) and eating when I'm hungry, which is typically 3x a day, plus those banana snacks. I'm really impressed with this!! It may be too early to tell, but I do think just doing these specifically planned banana snacks is making a big difference for me! Yay! SO glad you shared this! I will keep you posted on if this continues working for me...
          My Before/After Pics
          Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

Comment

Posting just to subscribe for the heck of it. I don't have depression and dream like a maniac, so I'm kind of scared to jump onto serotonin fixes, and I don't have evening food cravings (those went years ago, probably when I added protein thx to the RR cult, lol); usually they're between 11 & 7, lol.
            5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
            Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
            Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
            Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
            ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

How's it going MamaGrok? I've not been reading the leptin thread (so darn long! and I'm not doing it...) so I haven't seen any of your updates!
              My Before/After Pics

Comment

I think I'm going to try using fruit instead. Wurtman says fruit is no good as it's mainly fructose and so doesn't stimulate enough insulin release to do the job. However, RR offers an apple as a possible alternative to potato. Maybe some non-starchy fruit, chewed well, will work for me. Not till after PMS time though (not sure what's happening there, went onto new low starch diet a week before ovulatio, had all the signs it was going to happen, then they just went without any O pains and without the usual sore nipples I get for a few days after, so I think I didn't ovulate, my body must have been freaked out by the sudden diet change).

Harold Whitman

Comment

From what I've read, honey has more fructose (proportionally) than a banana.

This table might be helpful, its got fructose/glucose/sucrose levels for a bunch of fruits as well as some sugars (including honey) etc:
                  Fruits and Sugars in Tabular Form
                  My Before/After Pics

Comment

I got a bit of a break-out, and since I dunno if it is honey or womanly woes, I stopped with honey daily to see if I can re-start again after the second possible cause clears off. Night cravings returned (nuts & nut butter)!
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Let us know how it goes Leida! Maybe try some fruit that you feel doesn't lead to breakouts for now?? (You could check the table and try and pick lower fructose/higher glucose ones...)
                      My Before/After Pics

Comment

Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                        From what I've read, honey has more fructose (proportionally) than a banana.

This table might be helpful, its got fructose/glucose/sucrose levels for a bunch of fruits as well as some sugars (including honey) etc:
                        Fruits and Sugars in Tabular Form
                        Yep, but no starch. Fructose and glucose are ok for most people with AS, starch is the big no-no. Although the raw honey I switched to a few days ago may have some starch as it's not as purified, pollen can be starchy, might be why I've flared up. Or might not lol.

I bought some liquid glucose today at the suggestion of someone on the AS forum, worth a try.

I really do feel good apart from that, especially considering I've not been sleeping due to my shoulders being sore. I took some ibuprofen last night and slept a full 6 hr stretch, so that helped. But I don't want to do that regularly.

Harold Whitman

Comment

Another great thread - I definitely believe that there are some for whom this concept is the answer and it's awesome to see so many of you won't ever give up until you find the perfectly tailored "plan" for you and your bodies. I hope you'll keep sharing your ongoing quest and the tweaks and changes that work for you (and DON'T work for you!) along the way! I know that I, for one, have already benefitted from many things that have been posted by several of you! Thank you!
                          Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Originally posted by GoJenGo View Post
                            Another great thread - I definitely believe that there are some for whom this concept is the answer and it's awesome to see so many of you won't ever give up until you find the perfectly tailored "plan" for you and your bodies. I hope you'll keep sharing your ongoing quest and the tweaks and changes that work for you (and DON'T work for you!) along the way! I know that I, for one, have already benefitted from many things that have been posted by several of you! Thank you!
                            Yeah, this is def. not a one size fits all issue, yk? I too have gained so much from the stuff posted here and on the unbalanced & confused binge thread. Love that we are learning from and with each other!!! Just knowing you're not alone in this, and that its ok/good to explore solutions is so helpful!
                            My Before/After Pics

Comment

The glucose seems to be working well so far. I am definately feeling better than I have for ages. I did some weeding in the garden today on top of my planned jobs, as well as a mega school shoe shop session with 3 kids in a very, very crowded shoe shop with a lvery long queue! I know if I do extra jobs, even little things like washing dinner prep things instead of leaving them for dh to do after we eat (like I also did today), that I am feeling better.

No cravings, except some mild ones 3 days after wine.

Digestion has improved since I swapped from honey to glucose so fingers crossed my joints do too. I've done some research and apparnetly honey contains oligosaccharides that act as prebiotics, including FOS. So that explains that one. Big no-no for me!

Harold Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Horsewoman View Post
                                The glucose seems to be working well so far. I am definately feeling better than I have for ages. I did some weeding in the garden today on top of my planned jobs, as well as a mega school shoe shop session with 3 kids in a very, very crowded shoe shop with a lvery long queue! I know if I do extra jobs, even little things like washing dinner prep things instead of leaving them for dh to do after we eat (like I also did today), that I am feeling better.

No cravings, except some mild ones 3 days after wine.

Digestion has improved since I swapped from honey to glucose so fingers crossed my joints do too. I've done some research and apparnetly honey contains oligosaccharides that act as prebiotics, including FOS. So that explains that one. Big no-no for me!
                                Yay!!! Fingers crossed here!!
                                My Before/After Pics

Comment

Working...
                                X