Obesity and Energy Balance: is the tail wagging the dpg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigitalSurgeon View Post
    If you're into total bullshit you buy that........If you read my words you know I swim in a deeper pool. My brain gut axis posts are pretty clear where I stand. Evolutionary biology 101.
    Yeah I know... was just messin around....

more-

Comment

it all starts in the gut.......and is all monitored in the brain. The details are what confounds folks. The greatest break throughs in medicine are going to come from the brain gut axis. I cant stop talking or writing about it and how it all ties things together. And what we absorb is clearly most important but it is based upon what we fuel ourselves with and what bacteria we are colonized with. The differences in those factors are where different disease come from. For example.....when the outcome of our digestion in the portal circulation is low level chronic IL-1b cytokine we se autoimmune disease as the outcome. When it is IL-6, TNF-alpha with depleted Se, Vitamin D, low Vitamin K levels and high cortisol and insulin we see cancer, When it is some of those to a lesser degree.......we get IBD, Heart disease, type two diabetes........The common denominator.......the gut determines what we are going to face as we age.
      It all starts in the gut as you said - we need to give it a lot more importance, particularly when prescribed certain pharmaceuticals and their side-effects in relation to the gut.
      The overall study was really good to read.

Comment

Originally posted by akm3 View Post
        So...nuke the gut with antibiotics to kill the healthy gut bacteria, reducing the number of calories you can absorb and TA DA! America's newest diet fad?
        Yes, exactly!! You look and feel like shit because you can't absorb most of the nutrients from your foods but you're skinny!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
          It all starts in the gut as you said - we need to give it a lot more importance, particularly when prescribed certain pharmaceuticals and their side-effects in relation to the gut.
          The overall study was really good to read.
          Oh, you mean like sucralose?

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobirdy View Post
            Oh, you mean like sucralose?
            Yeh, sucralose (splenda) is damaging - this site linking it to digestive imbalances - affecting ghrelin levels:
            Splenda Causes Digestive Imbalance | Natural Society

I was thinking about as an example Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) that are prescribed to decrease stomach acid production. You're not meant to take them for very long because if they reduce your stomach acid production you will have less HCl. If you don't have enough HCl it can't combine with pepsinogen to create pepsin enzyme to break down protein you eat. You don't digest and absorb much of the protein you eat. HCl also kills any nasties you happen to eat along with your food.

Comment

PPI's cause severe osteoporsis if they are taken long term......my clinic is filled with victims of this nutty idea.

Comment

Prior to the PPIs didn't they just cut the vagus nerve?

Interesting link to vagus nerve block for weight loss:
                What is VBLOC Therapy
                Not yet available I think but they are marketing it as better than lapband and gastric bypass.
                There is a ReCharge clinical research study - can't seem to access it. Not sure if this is old news.

Comment

we can stimulate it now.....and yes vagotomies were common 20 yrs ago.

Comment

it all starts in the gut.......and is all monitored in the brain.
                    where has this quote been all my life
                    Get on my Level
                    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Great post.

It doesn't look like this provides any evidence that energy balance is incorrect, simply that it's being refined in more detail. For example, energy intake doesn't simply mean the food you eat, it means the food you eat which can be digested by your body.

Thanks

Comment

The content seems to have been removed?
                        Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Working...
                        X