Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top 5 Superfats: Fatty Foods That Are Good For You

Hey Primal Eaters!

I've just written a post about my "Top 5 Superfats" on my brand new blog, The Feel Good Lifestyle. It's a site where I share strategies to live with "more energy & inspiration to create the life we dream of".

I'd love to have your opinion on my Superfats recommendations, and your overall feedback on the site.

The Top 5 Superfats: Fatty Foods That Are Good For You |

Cheers and thanks in advance!!

Phil

Absolutely loved the post. And I would definitely agree with it %100. It was funny actually, before I clicked it, I thought to myself what 5 fats I consider top 5, and it ended up looking almost exactly like your list. Excellent read. Thanks for writing it!
    These machines feed on the tears of broken lives and dying dreams...

Comment

No saturated animal fats. Fishoil capsules rather than fats from whole fish. Nuts

Too inflammatory for me. I've got my health to look after
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Loved that.

Comment

Peril, what do you mean by "too inflammatory" for you?

I consume fish oil capsules because I can't afford fresh salmon where I live right now (trust me, I'd eat the real stuff if I could). I still strongly believe that the fish oil capsules reduce my inflammation from training & recover quicker.

Also, I don't list saturated animal fats as top 5 fats, but I still include them in my diet.
          Last edited by phildrolet; 07-27-2011, 10:35 PM.

Comment

McSqueeb & Captain Archer- thanks a lot for your kind words! Greatly appreciate it!

Comment

Too heavy in PUFAs in general. Then the fish oil is isolated and in high amounts. The risk here is of oxidation of the PUFAs, which is what leads to inflammation.

I eat plenty of canned oily fish - sardines and mackerel. Occasionally some kippers. Expensive fresh salmon is not necessary

Saturated fats help moderate oxidation of the PUFAs but it is better to avoid excess PUFAs to minimise the risk they pose
              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

But where is butter, lard, beef fat?I use only those for cooking.

Also I'd be very wary of so many nuts with the preponderance of omega 6.

My list of fats would be

5. Olive oil
                4. flax seed oil
                3. Butter
                2. coconut oil
                1.Pork lard / beef fat / duck fat

And I'd eat fish every day for my omega 3's - not some capsule. Shrimp, salmon, trout,mackerel, crab, mussels, herring -all good and mostly cheap.
                Last edited by breadsauce; 07-28-2011, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Lookin' OK. The only reason to put nuts on the list would/should be for their convenience and taste (which is superb!).
                  I honestly don't like olive oil (the taste) and avocado I can do without.

I'd have to put (cultured) butter, fish oil (on the fish, not capsules), pork and beef fat (on the meat) and coconut oil on my list. I actually don't cook with a lot of fat, other than that on the meat.
                  Would egg yolks count? Cos then they are DEFINITELY on my list!

Comment

I was expecting not to agree with your post after reading the posters here but I actually liked it all with the exception of the picture of pills

Big no-no in my opinion, the writings fine as not everyone can get fish oils regularly in which case its fine to take the supplements but I don't believe that pills should be seen as the ideal. Nice picture of a fish counter would be great.

Btw I eat tinned fish, it tastes great, its good for me and any health scares from too much mercury or whatever I'll happily ignore as I don't eat it every day and I vary the fish.
                    1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
                    Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

Comment

I liked your post as well. (ditto on editing out the pic of fish oil capsules and putting in a pic of a real fish). From never having eaten an avocado or having drunk a can of coconut milk before this January, now I feel teary if I don't have a little bag of avocados in the fridge and at least 4 cans of coconut milk in the pantry

And I love canned pacific sockeye salmon and try to have it at least once a week (and supplement with fish oil capsules on the other days).
                      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                      CW: 146.8 lbs
                      GW 140 lbs
                      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Your comment about goji berries makes you sound like a weirdo those things taste terribad anyways.

Comment

Thanks for all your feedback guys, good food for thought!

Solldara, I've gone ahead & switched the picture of the capsules for nice grilled salmon fillet meal. I initially had a picture of each (fish & capsules) side by side, but I couldn't get the editing right so I ended up only keeping the capsules.

But you're right, we should encourage consuming whole foods as a standard practice.

That being said, knowing than most people don't/won't eat fish, I believe that fish oil capsules are in the top 1% of the most useful supplements.
                          Last edited by phildrolet; 07-28-2011, 05:14 AM.

Comment

I feel better now. I eat at least 3 out of 5 of these every day. Nuts are a rarity though.

Comment

@Pandadude, if eating goji berries, one the absolute healthiest foods on our planet, makes a weirdo... hmm, well I can live with that :P

I agree they're not the best at first, but if you mix 'em with almonds and dried cranberries, the tastes balance each other out very nicely.

Comment

Working...
                              X