The Top 5 Superfats: Fatty Foods That Are Good For You

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to disagree with 2 points:

1. Nuts. It is way too easy to overconsume nuts, which overconsumes omega-6 fats, and those are not good fats, but happen to be the dominant fats in nuts. Believe me I love nuts, but they have all too often been my downfall.
    2. No saturated animal fats. It is really criminal to have a list of top 5 fats and not a single one is an fat (not counting fish oils).

Given how new the list creator is to Primal Blueprint forums, I can only guess he/she is new to paleo/primal style diets in general and just hasn't learned yet that these (saturated animal fats) are the best and healthiest of all. Or maybe the list was being written to be politically correct towards conventional wisdom or something.
    Last edited by wildwabbit; 07-31-2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Butter!!!! This is a very healthy fat, esp from grass fed cows. Lots of Vitamin A, not to mention completely delicious on just about everything. I think your list is too heavy on the unsaturated fats - coconut oil is the only saturated one. Too much unsaturated fat leads to oxidation in the body, saturated fats are more stable. Butter, bacon fat, or lard should be on the list.

Comment

phildrolet, I like your blog. Interesting concept overall and it seems well written.

I agree with these 3 major (recurring) criticisms though:
        - Nuts are predominantly high omega-6 PUFA foods, I really think it's best to eat them sparingly. I'd remove them from the list.
        - Animal fat should be on the list (though you might have to add a disclaimer about grassfed vs grainfed).
        - Encourage people to get their fish oil from fish (only using the supps as a last resort).

Otherwise, pretty awesome!

For fun, my list would be:

5. Olive/avacado oil - tie!
        4. Butter (for cooking, mainly)
        3. Animal body fats (from beef, lamb, bison, etc...)
        2. Fish oil (eat fish!)
        1. Coconut oil

Comment

Originally posted by phildrolet View Post
          Hey Primal Eaters!

I've just written a post about my "Top 5 Superfats" on my brand new blog, The Feel Good Lifestyle. It's a site where I share strategies to live with "more energy & inspiration to create the life we dream of".

I'd love to have your opinion on my Superfats recommendations, and your overall feedback on the site.

The Top 5 Superfats: Fatty Foods That Are Good For You |

Cheers and thanks in advance!!

Phil
          I can't get your site to open up. Clicked on your profile and didn't see it there.
          My journal

Comment

Hi,

I enjoyed the article. I've recently just started using Duck Fat, but I'm not sure if it tastes as good as butter. The bacon cooked in butter seems to taste better!

P.S. I see you are from Perth, me too. I agree with your bio, it is a great place to live.

Comment

Originally posted by wildwabbit View Post
              I have to disagree with 2 points:

1. Nuts. It is way too easy to overconsume nuts, which overconsumes omega-6 fats, and those are not good fats, but happen to be the dominant fats in nuts. Believe me I love nuts, but they have all too often been my downfall.
              2. No saturated animal fats. It is really criminal to have a list of top 5 fats and not a single one is an fat (not counting fish oils).

Given how new the list creator is to Primal Blueprint forums, I can only guess he/she is new to paleo/primal style diets in general and just hasn't learned yet that these (saturated animal fats) are the best and healthiest of all. Or maybe the list was being written to be politically correct towards conventional wisdom or something.
              Thanks for the distinctions wildwabbit. Where I stand right now on the nutrition philosophy continuum is that I've been reading MDA for a few months now and I've certainly applied some of Mark's philosophy in my life. However, I'm also influenced by some of the top experts in the vegetarian movement so I'm looking to find a happy middle. I don't care too much for being politically correct, I'm really just trying to figure out what works best for me and makes me feel the best.

-I'll do more research on nuts consumption/omega 6's, I didn't think I was in danger of eating too many.

-As I said before, I do eat saturated animal fats but I gotta admit there's still a part of me that can't fully grasp that they're actually beneficial.

Comment

As I said before, I do eat saturated animal fats but I gotta admit there's still a part of me that can't fully grasp that they're actually beneficial.
                Grass Fed Beef Advantage: Omega 3 Fatty Acids |
                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Working...
                X