Low Blood Pressure and Paleo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Blood Pressure and Paleo

My normal BP is 85/56 and on an American diet I feel fine. I have started and stopped paleo too many times to count over the last year. I love the diet and would really like to continue but I feel awful on it. I am fine for about a week or 2 and then one day I feel weak, faint and dizzy and wind up binging on carbs...which afterwards I feel fine. I have even gone 4 weeks before I started to feel faint. I don't think it's the carb flu b/c it isn't predictable when it happens. It could be one day and not another, after 1 week, after 4 weeks.

I have been doing research to figure out why this happens and am starting to see a link with low carb and the lowering of BP.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so any advise on what can I do to stay on the diet?

I also have low BP - and I noticed that one thing that happened when I went primal was that my salt intake plummeted. I think for most people this would be a good thing, but I had to start adding more salt to things.

Comment

Maybe don't go too low on carbs. Have some sweet potato or rice every day. If you stay in the 100-150 grams of carbs range you should be good.
      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
      CW: 146.8 lbs
      GW 140 lbs
      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

It could be the lowering of sodium or the initial water weight loss/adjustment. If you suffer from hypotension, you should make sure you consume enough fluids. It also could be an issue with your blood sugar instead of blood pressure.

Comment

Working...
        X