Black Pudding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Pudding

So while on vacation recently we stayed at an Irish hotel in NY. With breakfast they served a black pudding, aka blood pudding, aka blood sausage (they also had a white version as well). It had some grains in it (looked like barley), but it was a very small piece so I gave it a tentative try.

WOW...I was blown away, it was SOOOO good. None of the flavors I expected at all, it was so flavorful and delicious.

So now I am curious, does anyone in the US have a recommendation for a source of blood sausage (irish or otherwise....since some versions do not contain grains)? I have no clue where I could find it locally, but I am starting to poke around some of the more ethnic butcher shops or restaurants that also sell products. Any other ideas? Maybe a really fool proof recipe (I can honestly say I am scared if I make some of these types of things though, I will never eat it again if you know what I mean).

Also, what should I look for or avoid when picking something?

As a side question, does anyone know if there is a good nutritional value to this type of product (other then iron)? I am TRYING to expand my palate on the nose to tail concept..... trying.
    Erin
    Daily Vlogs
    Primal Pets Blog

I can't find a way to get blood short of killing the animal myself (which I'd love to know how to do, but don't). Dang feds...
    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Hi, I am Irish and know what you mean about Black pudding - it's great stuff!

A quick internet search gave me this Gluten Free Black Pudding Complete Mix 1.5kg Home User Pack A UK company who who a dried mix for black pudding and the casings by post. It does contain starch in the form of potatoes but I would suggest getting it and then experimenting - the website gives the list of ingredients - if you are of an experimental type of mind you might look at that.

I am pretty sure, though that there are Irish companies who to export to the states - there are websites to cater for the ex-pat Irish who can't bear to be without their 'proper' foods, you might try them. (sorry, haven't time to google for you, rushing out to work) I will have a look later.

Comment

I love black pudding and it is easy to get here in the UK. I rarely eat it though - because of the grain content. If I could find a gluten free source I'd eat that.

Comment

In UK the filler is usually oatmeal. If you are happy with that then fine. Spanish black pudding uses white rice as a filler and if you make it yourself the blood is available in the supermarkets (!!) in quart bottles!

Basically you just need a filler of some sort to absorb the blood so it can congeal around something to a solid form when the pudding is first cooked.

You could for example mix the blood with a very dry potato mash to form a sloppy flat cake then fry it!

(ps the flavour comes from the herbs, spices and added pork fat.)
          Last edited by localad; 07-22-2011, 02:19 AM.
          activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

You might be able to find it at an Asian market. Pig's blood cake and duck's blood soup are very common snacks/dishes over there.

Comment

Not sure if you have a Portuguese community out there, but they make blood pudding. I can find it in grocery stores here, but we have a HUGE Portuguese community (for a century and a half, at least!) I really am not sure what the binder is, I will check around.

Comment

The recipe I came across uses meat (pork) as a binder, no grains...so you might want to look for Portuguese blood sausage!

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                  I can't find a way to get blood short of killing the animal myself (which I'd love to know how to do, but don't). Dang feds...
                  Really? I can find it in any ethnic grocery around here. Usually pig, cow, and chicken blood frozen.

Comment

It's strange - we can't get the tongue from the cows we buy from GA processors, but we can get it from TN processors. And restaurants & grocers can buy it from out-of-state processors and sell it. Same with blood pudding, I presume. But the GA processor is inspected by USDA, not state authorities. I have no idea what the deal is.

I just want the blood, brains, intestines, sweetbreads, and tongue from the whole cows and pigs I buy, instead of them going to the dump!
                    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Wierd. Must be state by state processing laws? Neither the USDA or the FDA limit parts/offal sales at all, the USDA inspection is only to ensure that the animal is not diseased and the plant practices "safe" handling by industry standards.

OK, side effect of being a regulatory consultant, I spend wayyyyyyyy too much time reading federal code, I actually understand it. Ahhhhhh I need to retire before my brain explodes...

Comment

Thanks for all the tips! I am going to start venturing to some of the more ethnic markets around town, see what I can dig up. On vacation I managed to eat sweetbreads, blood sausage, several versions of raw beef (tartar and more), and raw sea urchin in my explorations (I eat sushi all the time, sea urchin was very new). I am really trying to make an effort to eat more nose to tail....its definitely an acquired taste but I am already seeing my palate open up bit by bit.

I also thought about boudin noir (french version), as my husband is from Louisiana and maybe one of his relatives can dig up a good one for us down there.

Originally posted by Chasintrail View Post
                        OK, side effect of being a regulatory consultant, I spend wayyyyyyyy too much time reading federal code, I actually understand it. Ahhhhhh I need to retire before my brain explodes...
                        Oh...shudder! That seems more scary to me then experimenting with eating offal
                        Erin
                        Daily Vlogs
                        Primal Pets Blog

Comment

There's these guys, out of Texas....

Goodwood's British Market, British Groceries

...in the Frozen Foods, Pork Pie Section
                          I'm just your average, legendary superhero, trapped in a lump of flesh.

Scottish Highland Games: a sport where the fat kid gets picked FIRST.

Comment

Originally posted by BryanC View Post
                            There's these guys, out of Texas....

Goodwood's British Market, British Groceries

...in the Frozen Foods, Pork Pie Section
                            Thanks! They carry the ones I was finding most places, but they seem to have one of the best prices and most variety. Link saved!
                            Erin
                            Daily Vlogs
                            Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Working...
                            X