Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen??

Do you adjust your diet on such hot days? All I want to consume are salads or smoothies (actually ice cream). The mornings are fine for my usual breakfast, but by evenings I'm sipping on kefir or having a salad. Would grok take a break during heat waves and eat less?

Most animals slow down on food in the heat.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

I'm working outside in the desert during monsoon season, so... yeah. It's just too hot to have any kind of appetite at all. Plus I'm drinking around a couple of gallons of water, which really fills you up.

Now the problem I have is that, once I get home and relaxed in the A/C for a couple of hours, my appetite comes back with a vengeance. I've actually been having trouble digesting my food after dinner, and I'm thinking it's because I eat nothing or maybe just a bite or two at a time for 20 hours, then expect my stomach to digest a day's worth of food in one sitting. I kind of figured out that's what was happening last night, so I'll be working on fixing it starting tonight.
      Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
        I'm working outside in the desert during monsoon season,
        I was inspecting the roof of a high-rise building here in MI just as the temps hit 100. You're probably a little more used to that in the desert. I had a handful of cashews for lunch with zero interest of anything else except water, and my appetite was still low by dinner. Settled on a salad with cold hard-boiled eggs, but would have preferred to just sit in the shade with a bucket of ice cream...

I wonder if protein smoothies are the way to go for these heat waves?

Comment

I've been having protein smoothies for breakfast and not much else till dinner, which isn't a bad thing. I forced myself to eat a small lunch today because I start getting squirrelly.
          Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

I whipped up a protein smoothie for breakfast this morning too, but quickly realized that I shouldn't have put a whole banana in it. All I wanted to do was take a nap for a couple of hours after!

It's 9:00 at night here and it's still 34 deg. C (about 90F). This week we grilled chicken breasts and did a beef roast in the crockpot so we could cut them up and have them in salads. I haven't had any cooked starches for at least a week.

Thanks for the reminder about boiled eggs! I think that will be breakfast and maybe even lunch tomorrow
            Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
            Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
            CW: 146.8 lbs
            GW 140 lbs
            A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Oh yeah, boiled eggs sounds like a good idea. For some reason I can eat them soft boiled even if fried they tend to gag me. For smoothies I just use frozen strawberries, whey and cream.
              Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

I've been making jello with rooibos tea and lime juice. The really stiff kind of jello you can pick up with your fingers. It's like edible iced tea and a good way to get some protein in on hot days.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                  I've been making jello with rooibos tea and lime juice. The really stiff kind of jello you can pick up with your fingers. It's like edible iced tea and a good way to get some protein in on hot days.
                  I didn't realize there was protein in gelatin. That's a very interesting idea. How are you making that?
                  My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Winter isn't exactly the time of year best associated with barbecue. If the heat is getting to you too much try eating more spicy foods. The spiciness ups your sweating which will cool down your body temperature.
                    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
                    -J.Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      Would love to know how to make this !
                      Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Comment

Originally posted by ProtoAlex View Post
                        Winter isn't exactly the time of year best associated with barbecue. If the heat is getting to you too much try eating more spicy foods. The spiciness ups your sweating which will cool down your body temperature.
                        Only if you live in a dry climate...
                        42 yo female; 5'8"
                        Oct 2009: 205 lbs
                        Dec 2010: 167 lbs
                        Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
                        Goal weight: 145 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                          I didn't realize there was protein in gelatin. That's a very interesting idea. How are you making that?
                          Gelatin is made from cow bones so it has many of the health properties of bone broth without the hot simmering pot in your kitchen all day.

Edible Tea Recipe:

Soften 16 packets of unflavored unsweetened gelatin in 8 oz cold lime juice. (Lemon would work too. I just have a prolific lime tree.)
                          Stir in hot strong rooibos tea (You could probably use other types of tea as well). Make sure all the gelatin is fully dissolved
                          You can vary the amount of tea to make the jello stiffer or softer.
                          The way I make it it makes 4 containers 6"x7"x1.5" deep.

each container has 28.3 gr of protein and only 119 calories.
                          Last edited by Paleobird; 07-21-2011, 11:19 PM.

Comment

If you're contemplating a juice fast, now would surely be the time to do it! My kitchen is cool and clean. (Although I'm blessed to now live in the one sliver of the country where it is not an oven (PNW, FTW!), I well remember my Texas days with 2/50 air conditioning--2 windows down, 50 miles an hour.)
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                              If you're contemplating a juice fast, now would surely be the time to do it! My kitchen is cool and clean. (Although I'm blessed to now live in the one sliver of the country where it is not an oven (PNW, FTW!), I well remember my Texas days with 2/50 air conditioning--2 windows down, 50 miles an hour.)
                              I was actually thinking about doing a juice fast but, like the way Martha "modified" hers to include some fat, I was thinking of modifying mine to include some jello for protein.

Comment

Working...
                              X