OMG, if you haven't yet, try Kefir.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG, if you haven't yet, try Kefir.

It's like the best part of yogurt concentrated into pure glory! I found the lowest sugar (plain, no flavor, only 4g sugar per 8 oz. serving) brand at my Co-op and tried it out, it's thick and satisfying. Of course, now I have to reevaluate my overall white liquid consumption. Between coconut milk, goat milk and kefir, I've got to do less of something!
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Kefir has become my new favorite thing too. I'm contemplating making my own. It looks rather easy and since I've also started making my own creme fraiche, it's not that much different. I had my first batch of kefir at lunch and it turned out really good. I used the kefir starter from WF, but kefir grains are what you really want.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      It's like the best part of yogurt concentrated into pure glory! I found the lowest sugar (plain, no flavor, only 4g sugar per 8 oz. serving) brand at my Co-op and tried it out, it's thick and satisfying. Of course, now I have to reevaluate my overall white liquid consumption. Between coconut milk, goat milk and kefir, I've got to do less of something!
      Why not get some kefir grains and make goat milk kefir? Then you aren't increasing your white liquid intake but you are still getting your probiotics. Kefir grains are easily available on eBay.

Comment

Kefir not only is delicious, but works wonders on digestion.
        Lifting Journal

Comment

Is that something that would be in a Walmart or is that health food only thing? I've never seen it...but that doesn't mean its not there. Also I've been wondering if they have Coconut oil at Walmart...never seen it but maybe just not looking in the right place?
          Height: 6'1"
          Primal start date: July 1st 2011
          Start Weight: 275
          Current Weight: 248
          Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
          Body Fat 25.4%
          Fat Mass 63.721
          Fat Free Mass 74.6%
          Fat Free Mass 187.087
          Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
          Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Comment

Yeah, I can testify that making your own kefir is easy as hell. My kefir grains are finally activated after about a week getting them in the mail.

Kefir is great, I used to get bad gas all the time, it felt like my stomach was a dead place. Not anymore! Those probiotics make my stomach a good digestion spot.
            "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Comment

Originally posted by Raiken3712 View Post
              Is that something that would be in a Walmart or is that health food only thing? I've never seen it...but that doesn't mean its not there. Also I've been wondering if they have Coconut oil at Walmart...never seen it but maybe just not looking in the right place?
              Last time I went there (a year ago), they didn't have coconut oil or kefir...maybe they do now but I doubt it.
              "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Comment

Where did you find kefir with only 4g of sugar per serving? All the ones I see are 11-12g. I've never had it before and I'd love to use it as a base for my ice cream to give it a try instead of heavy cream. If I use 50% kefir, 22g of sugar is more than I'd want to use. However, 8g is perfectly fine by me.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Kefir was dairy based right? Is the sugar from the Milk it comes from or do they add sugar in after the process. I'll go google kefir...I'm sure wiki will have something about how its made. Feel free to post how its made if anyone wants to though...as I'm sure there is more than one method.
                  Body Fat 25.4%
                  Fat Mass 63.721
                  Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                  Fat Free Mass 187.087
                  Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)

Comment

From what I can tell, if you have kefir grains, you place them into a glass container and add your beverage of choice (milk, coconut milk, another dairy beverage alternative) and let it set out (away from direct sunlight) with a lid that's loosely placed on top to let out gases. Let it sit for 24 or so hours depending on how sour you want it. When it's done, strain out the kefir and reuse your kefir grains....which will eventually grow to make new grains, which you can give away, sell or save. I believe that's it in a nutshell. I plan to order kefir grains from amazon once I get back from my trip.

Along the same lines of kefir, although not full of probiotics but tasty nonetheless is creme fraiche. That's just taking heavy whipping cream and adding some buttermilk (I started with 2 cups cream to 2 TBSP buttermilk or add more to make it more sour). Again, leave it out for 24 hours and then place in the refrigerator to chill. It goes great with berries or as a dip for veggies.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                      Where did you find kefir with only 4g of sugar per serving? All the ones I see are 11-12g. I've never had it before and I'd love to use it as a base for my ice cream to give it a try instead of heavy cream. If I use 50% kefir, 22g of sugar is more than I'd want to use. However, 8g is perfectly fine by me.
                      My understanding is that during the fermentation process about 2/3rds of the lactoese is consumed by the kefir grains. However, I read somewhere that calorie packaging laws look at the inputs, that is milk which does have about 12 grams of carbs per 8 oz, and not the finished product which should have about 4 grams.

To answer some other people, plain kefir should not have sugar added to it but the flavored ones surely do have sugar added to it.

It is super easy to make, basically place in a glass jar with the grains and let them do their thing for 24 hours or so, strain and then start over. The grains grow rapidly and are quite hardy, I even froze them on accident and they were fine the next day albeit a bit sluggish to recover. The length of time it takes to ferment is a product of the amount of grains you have, amount of milk, and temperature, warmer temps will ferment faster, colder temps slower.

Considering that you might get grains for free or $15 max, it's very inexpensive considering the price of kefir. I use regular pasteurized whole milk and supplement with a bit of cream (regular pasteurized, not ultra which is becoming more common). I bought some from Yemoos.

Comment

There are also water kefir strains. From what I gather you CAN adapt milk kefir grains to work in water, but it is better to find the water strains. With the water grains you use sugar water, (or half and half juice with water), and then add any flavourings you wish after the first ferment. I have never made nor actually drank water kefir yet because I haven't found any locally, but I have heard they are similar to a juice flavoured soda because of the fermentation bubbles.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          Come visit me and I'll give you some dairy kefir grains and you can make your own and not have to worry about added sugar. And you can strain it so it's super thick - like Greek yogurt consistency.

If you can get your hands on kefir grains it is super easy to make. Super easy. I've been making my own for ever a year now. And the grains I have come from the grains that my grandfather brought over from Germany almost 10 years ago!

Comment

The coconut oil at Walmart is disgusting, don't bother. I found coconut milk, but most of it had sugar in it, lots of sugar!! I checked their website for kefir grains, and came up empty, GNC also had none on the website. Nor did my local health food store. Guess I'll be EBaying!!

Comment

Amazon appears to have them listed. The Kefir grains that is.
                              Body Fat 25.4%
                              Fat Mass 63.721
                              Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                              Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

Working...
                              X