Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would happen if...

I took a week off?

In two weeks, I'll have been Primal three months with little cheating. If I took a break from the PB for a week and then go straight back to the PB, what would happen? Will I gain all the weight back? Start retaining water again? Get the acne back?

In my experience, you will feel like crap for a while, then adjust to the "feeling like crap is normal" way of life you had before.
    Durp.

Comment

Yes, Yes and Yes. I kid.

But seriously, and not to sound like an ass, but maybe you shouldn't treat this (Primal/Paleo) as something you can just take a week off from. That way of thinking is going to lead down a road to failure cause then you see this as just a diet and not a way of life. If you slip up, don't stress out about it. If I were to slip even one day, I pay for it for at least one week.

Why do you feel the need to cheat for a whole week?
      My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Comment

If I got used to not slapping my face with a shovel, and avoided it for six months, would it be okay to go back to slapping my face with a shovel again for a few weeks?
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
          If I got used to not slapping my face with a shovel, and avoided it for six months, would it be okay to go back to slapping my face with a shovel again for a few weeks?
          Sure it would be okay. It would just not be the smartest thing to do.

But like Monty said, if you see this new way of life as something you need to "take a break" from then that means you see it as something to be endured not something to be celebrated. That mindset needs to change.

Comment

Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

What is your motivation for doing this?
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

While I think there's nothing wrong with "cheating"...an entire week straight? I've done similar things before, and it's a total reset on my ability to say no to SAD foods.
                “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
                  I've done similar things before, and it's a total reset on my ability to say no to SAD foods.
                  That's for sure. It's a big huge, gassy, achy, headachy, farty, bloaty, nauseous way of reminding us why we don't eat that way anymore.

Sounds like fun!
                  Durp.

Comment

I did that for a weekend, about 3 days actually. I did primal for breakfast and lunch but dinner was all bets off. It was for the 4th of July family get-together weekend camping... lots of traditional family desserts and dishes that I love and wanted to make an exception for. I ate a ton of sugar and a decent amount of grains. I think it was worth it, though I did feel awful afterwards and I've been having trouble with my IBS symptoms returning since then which is a huge pain. It also took a few days of primal to make the sugar/carb cravings go away, which was a hassle to deal with. In my case I don't know if I gained any weight but I'm purposefully trying to NOT lose weight since I'm pregnant (plus I don't own a scale) so I can't answer that question.

I still think that it was okay for me to do that, though I can tell you right now I would NOT do it for an entire week 3 meals a day... just too much to recover from. now that I know how I *can* feel, it's hard to imagine purposefully doing something that will result in me feeling crappy for this long. I did expect some fallout but if you had told me my IBS would still be here 3 weeks later as a result of that weekend I probably woulda taken it a little easier. It did get harder and harder to not binge though, so that's something else to consider.

I can tell you right now I will be doing something similar for Thanksgiving and Christmas and MAYBE New Years, but one day at a time only. I'll do my best to keep it primal, but when it comes down to it I love desserts and there are particular desserts and cookies that I make only during that time and I would miss if I didn't indulge a bit. One of my "arguments to self" about going primal in the first place was that I couldn't imagine never again eating sweets but the truth is, you CAN eat them you just have to deal with the fallout. I'm still eating cinnamon rolls for Christmas breakfast this year, I can guarantee it! I'll probably get a major sugar crash and be useless for the rest of the day, but oh well, right? lol
                    Last edited by Betho; 07-21-2011, 05:10 PM.
                    Uncle Dutch Farms - my bloggy home.
                    My review of the Piteba oil expeller - handcranked expeller to make fresh nut oils, coconut oil, etc. Yeah, I love this thing.
                    My favorite kitchen tools - The Homesteader Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      Sure it would be okay. It would just not be the smartest thing to do.

But like Monty said, if you see this new way of life as something you need to "take a break" from then that means you see it as something to be endured not something to be celebrated. That mindset needs to change.
                      +1

Comment

I often hear 'do not reward yourself with food'. If you make your 3 month goal of 150 lbs (and you're only 3 lbs away) why would you risk your successes by cheating for a whole week? And risk feeling like utter crap at the same time?

There are always ways to fit primal eating into special occasions or family gatherings. You just have to want to find those ways. We can help with suggestions.
                        Last edited by belinda; 07-22-2011, 07:12 AM.
                        Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                        Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                        CW: 146.8 lbs
                        GW 140 lbs
                        A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

I say go for it!! Nothing like a bit of a reminder as to why you are doing PB in the first place! LOL!! I tend to have a deep desire to learn the hard way too

Comment

I actually did an experiment like this one at the beginning of the month. For about a week. Our office was starting a biggest loser contest, and the pot was up to about $400! I thought "Heck, I'll carb up, eat a bunch of crap, and then turn around and lose it the healthy way to win the pot". So, for about a week, all bets were off. I never felt so bloated and gassy... by the time the initial weigh in had come, I had gained about 8 lbs in a week!!!! So, yes, you will gain. But I've gone low carb, back into my IFing with a 6 hour eating window, and I've lost all the weight within a week.

Short answer: You will gain. You will feel bloated, and gassy. But, you can also turn it around in about a week. And when you do decide to turn it around, you may have a bit of the carb flu come back on ya. So the real question to you is, are the consequences worth the action?

Comment

I took off 2 weeks in June and 2 weeks in July for vacations, and basically my weight loss stopped but I didn't gain any weight, either.

Having said that, i didn't go "whole hog" to my old low-fat/ high carb /candy-all-day WOE. I ate some bread and drank some beer almost every day and ordered dessert with dinner a few times. I continued to walk a lot almost every day.

It was easy for me to slip back into fully Primal eating, because it's what I want and need to do to achieve my health and appearance goals.
                              cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
                              2/20/11: 210
                              9/19/11: 185.5
                              goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Comment

Working...
                              X