Leptin reset, IF, or stay the course.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leptin reset, IF, or stay the course.

All right fellow PBer's, I have had some great success with Primal/paleo but am having a bit of angst with the ol common nemesis, belly. I have come down from 230lbs as of last year and am down to 197lbs but have stalled out here for several months, about 6 to be exact. So here's my question, Do y'all think I should do a Leptin Reset, or, Do some IF (lean gains) or a few full day fasts, or should I just stay eating the same and hope it will eventually change?
    Im 35
    6'4" 197lbs
    Am about 22% BF according to the online calculators. would like to get to about 10%
    I do Ashtanga yoga 3-5 days a week, have recently added a sprint/free running workout in once a week and do some heavy-ish weights once or twice a week depending on energy levels. Kettlebell swings Pull ups, Weighted squats, push ups, some push/press stuff.
    I eat 99% paleo/primal, Typically I have coffee in the am with Heavy cream, Then I workout, practice. Breakfast is usually a big salad with 1/2lb GF ground beef friend in coconut oil, some other veggies, maybe some berries. Late lunch would be something similar to Breakfast, Dinner is usually lighter, some sauted greens with some fish, maybe some macadamia nuts.
    I don't snack and I have recently stopped drinking in an effort to speed things along.

The pic is from today and I cant tell if I qualify for a Leptin reset as i don't feel Fat per-se but I'm not sure I'm lean enough to qualify for some IF what do you all think?Pooch pic..jpg

Nothin?

Comment

Your pics aren't up yet--they need approval.

I'd go by what you see in the mirror or measurements, rather than weight, since you are likely building muscle and scale weight doesn't mean much at this stage.

If it were me, I'd IF for a week or two and observe your results. If it doesn't work for you, then try whatever makes the most sense to you.

IF has worked really well for me, but I only had about 14 lbs to lose, female, 48, 5' 6", 125 lbs. I'm now about 20% bodyfat & shrinking!
      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

If you've been on PB that long and lost this much weight, I don't know that the leptin reset is going to help - you really might not need it - and I'd get tested by your doctor before jumping into it. Structured IF (the everyday kind with an eating window ala leangains) would be my personal suggestion, but that suggestion is based on what I've seen it do for others more than personal experience (I'm not down to my last pounds yet by any means). YMMV.

Comment

You may need to drop calories as you weigh less now.

Comment

I'd get structured with the weights first. Then try IF. Leptin reset is an amazing tool, but I'm not sure you are the typical candidate...
            Lifting Journal

Comment

Are you absolutely sure about your body fat measurement? You look much leaner than 22%.

Comment

I wouldn't do the leptin reset.
                Georgette

Comment

After seeing the pic, I am even more sure what you need is more/better LHT. Carb cycling likely would also work for you.
                  Lifting Journal

Comment

Carb refeeds and or the leangains type IF is what I would think. Leptin reset is really for people who are leptin resistant, and I don't think that is your issue, since you are fairly lean already. I also agree you don't look like you are 20% body fat.

I am female in my 40s, 5'7", 124 lbs and at 25% body fat. Eating a huge breakfast just leads me to eat more calories overall. I am eating in a 6 hour window with the occasional refeed, and I am managing to slowly lose. Once you are fairly low and just tweaking, I don't think leptin reset is the way to go.
                    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Wow, thanks guys. According to this calculator Im between 20 and 24%.
                      I felt like IF's were the way to go. haven't done too much with refeeds yet, mostly because I wasn't hitting the weights quite hard enough, didn't think I needed them. I've been adding some various Tabata's in to my work out which KICK MY ASS!!!
                      @ Apex,
                      What kind of weight work would you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by erikJ View Post
                        Wow, thanks guys. According to this calculator Im between 20 and 24%.
                        I felt like IF's were the way to go. haven't done too much with refeeds yet, mostly because I wasn't hitting the weights quite hard enough, didn't think I needed them. I've been adding some various Tabata's in to my work out which KICK MY ASS!!!
                        @ Apex,
                        What kind of weight work would you recommend?
                        If you are looking to add muscle, I always recommend Starting Strength. If you don't like that, I'd recommend a body-weight program, something like Al Kalvado does or convict conditioning. There are a lot of good programs, just find one that works for you.

I'd wager with weights and carb cycling, you'll be as lean as you could want before you know it.
                        Lifting Journal

Comment

Working...
                        X