Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plateau'd, Why, How I intend to fix. Suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plateau'd, Why, How I intend to fix. Suggestions?

OK, I've hit a plateau. I've outlined the WHY I think it's happening and the HOW I intend to get on-track on my blog post: A Plateau and Why Iím not Concerned

A couple things I didn't mention in it that I may want to look at as well
    • Too much fruit?
    • Too many nuts?
    • Stretching the 80/20 principle a little too far in the name of being Stress-Free

Anyone have any other suggestions of things I may be missing or might consider trying?

Artificial sweeteners are a big one. I'd cut nuts before fruit, though I personally generally don't eat either.

How long is the plateau?

Keep up the good work, especially being honest with yourself.
    Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
      Artificial sweeteners are a big one. I'd cut nuts before fruit, though I personally generally don't eat either.
      What's so bad about artificial sweetener's? And yes, this is a hijacking.

Comment

Originally posted by nolineon View Post
        What's so bad about artificial sweetener's? And yes, this is a hijacking.
        Though the mechanism isn't definitively determined, and likely won't be anytime soon due to money, ingesting them strongly correlates to obesity.
        Lifting Journal

Comment

Though the mechanism isn't definitively determined, and likely won't be anytime soon due to money, ingesting them strongly correlates to obesity.
          I had read somewhere (sorry, no link to source) that artificial sweeteners "tricked" the body into an insulin response, despite not having any actual sugars to convert to glycogen, with the end result being the same old tale of insulin resistance and related weight gain.

I'd also be wary of their potential for being carcinogens. The more natural and whole foods the better; the fewer artificial ingredients, ditto.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
            I had read somewhere (sorry, no link to source) that artificial sweeteners "tricked" the body into an insulin response, despite not having any actual sugars to convert to glycogen, with the end result being the same old tale of insulin resistance and related weight gain.

I'd also be wary of their potential for being carcinogens. The more natural and whole foods the better; the fewer artificial ingredients, ditto.
            For many people they also keep the sweet tooth alive instead of letting it die.
            Lifting Journal

Comment

Any links to those studies? That correlation might be easily explained by that fact that replacing regular soda with diet soda is the first "diet" step taken by those who are already obese or who have diabetes or both. And we all know how well those "diets" work. Anecdotally, I've been told that competitive bodybuilders routinely consume absolutely mind boggling amounts of diet soda when cutting for competitions.

Comment

Originally posted by nolineon View Post
                Any links to those studies? That correlation might be easily explained by that fact that replacing regular soda with diet soda is the first "diet" step taken by those who are already obese or who have diabetes or both. And we all know how well those "diets" work. Anecdotally, I've been told that competitive bodybuilders routinely consume absolutely mind boggling amounts of diet soda when cutting for competitions.
                Agreed. What we know anecdotally is that dropping AS often helps people break through plateaus.

Competitive body-builders also ingest tremendous amounts of steroids, stimulants and other nastiness. BB's are a horrible example to follow for anyone.
                Lifting Journal

Comment

How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

Comment

Take these puppies to the movies:

Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds, Dark Chocolate, 11oz Canister (Pack of 4): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Emerald Cinnamon Roast Almonds, 11 oz (Pack of 3): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Chocolate ones taste like Cocoa Puffs... I like the cinnamon ones even better.

Comment

How long is the plateau?

Keep up the good work, especially being honest with yourself.
                      Oh, I've been hovering around here for about a month & Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post

This is what I heard as well. Also up until 14-15 months ago, I figured the cigarettes would get me before the AS

For many people they also keep the sweet tooth alive instead of letting it die.
                        Excellent point! Maybe why I seem to have a sweet tooth at night, no AS for a couple hours.

Originally posted by Waskydiver View Post
                        Take these puppies to the movies
                        Thanks for links

Comment

Originally posted by befitby40 View Post
                          This is what I heard as well. Also up until 14-15 months ago, I figured the cigarettes would get me before the AS

Excellent point! Maybe why I seem to have a sweet tooth at night, no AS for a couple hours.

Thanks for links
                          There's the issue right there, if you are justifying 20% late at night. Your insulin sensitivity is at it's highest right then, so any carbs you eat are turned to fat right away(unless you are doing a carb-refeed, but that's another story). Happened to me. Cutting out the AS should help. Making sure you get to bed at a good/early time will also help immensely.
                          Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Waskydiver View Post
                            If you have a Whole Foods near by try their Salsa Almonds. But be warned. They're crack. I had to go to Salsa Almonds Anonymous for a year before I got clean. They don't sell them in bulk either. Just in those little expensive bags by the register. $2 a hit. Bastards.

There's the issue right there, if you are justifying 20% late at night. Your insulin sensitivity is at it's highest right then, so any carbs you eat are turned to fat right away(unless you are doing a carb-refeed, but that's another story). Happened to me. Cutting out the AS should help. Making sure you get to bed at a good/early time will also help immensely.
                            Any linkage for insulin sensitivity increasing at night? This seems like it'd be counter to MB who seems to say that taking in crabs at night is the exact same as taking in calories/carbs during the day. I think he said something along the lines of "carbs don't magically turn to fat after it gets dark".

Because if insulin sensitivity goes up at night wouldn't that increase resultant weight gain?
                            Last edited by nolineon; 07-20-2011, 03:54 PM. Reason: format's last theorem

Comment

What's your usual menu - plus percentages and calories?

Comment

Working...
                              X