PMS, belly fat and nuts, oh my!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMS, belly fat and nuts, oh my!

The good: been primal for just about a year now. love it. much easier now that i don't look for the bad food replacements. i do about 50-75g carbs (2 fruit and the rest veggies, shredded coconut) and 60-65% fat.

The bad: my PMS has gotten worse in the last six months. before i would be surprised that i got my period because i didn't have any PMS. now i feel fantastic the week after my period and then i'm bloated and my boobs are sooooooore and i'm miserable for the rest of the month! this month i felt boob relief by upping my carbs to about 80g per day.

The ugly: and i feel i've gotten chunkier in the middle. i eat a lot of butter... maybe 4-5 tbs. per day. and i still eat a few handfuls of nuts per day.

SO THE QUESTIONS ARE....... have YOU felt relief from PMS boob soreness from eating more carbs? yes? then what kind? fruit or starch?

is it the nuts or the butter that could have added the middle section?

thanks for any input!

1) That's like 500-600 calories a day just from butter
    2) Nuts are also very calorically dense
    Not surprising you've gained fat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rina View Post
      is it the nuts or the butter that could have added the middle section?
      My money would be on the nuts. A few handfuls is actually quite a lot. They are pro-inflammatory—rather high in polyunsaturates, including omega-6s, and have a good dose of antinutrients. There is even said to be some evidence that lectins can bind to insulin receptors.

antinutrients "insulin receptors" - Google Search

If that's going on I doubt that would help.

Mark suggests soaking/dehydrating nuts for at least seven hours in accordance with Sally Fallon's advice in Nourishing Traditions.

Soaking Seeds and Nuts | Mark's Daily Apple

And probably best to keep it to one handful at a time and possibly not every day.

Comment

Originally posted by marqueemoon View Post
        I know. But I get so confused even after a year: calories count, calories don't count. fat is good, fat makes you fat. what !?!?

Comment

Except calories have nothing to do with weight gain—at least not as a causal factor. It's hormonally driven:

Why Fat, Not Carbs, Are the Preferred Fuel for the Human Body | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Yeah but get real. She's increased her caloric intake pretty significantly (a few handful of nuts a day is a LOT of calories) and now she's finding she's gained fat. It's not such a mystery. Even if everyone on these forums pretty much covers their ears and shouts "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" whenever anyone suggests eating more calories will make you gain weight.

Comment

maybe there is more to the story? how are you sleeping habits? exercise? stress levels?

Comment

I know. But I get so confused even after a year: calories count, calories don't count. fat is good, fat makes you fat. what !?!?
                Fat doesn't make you fat, but eating a thousand calorie surplus every day from fat (or any other nutrient) will make you fat.

Comment

Originally posted by kenfuji View Post
                  maybe there is more to the story? how are you sleeping habits? exercise? stress levels?
                  i actually do think that it's food related. stress is the same as it was. got two small kids that wake me up too early and keep me frazzled. but it's always been this way with them.

Comment

Yeah but get real. She's increased her caloric intake pretty significantly (a few handful of nuts a day is a LOT of calories) and now she's finding she's gained fat. It's not such a mystery. Even if everyone on these forums pretty much covers their ears and shouts "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" whenever anyone suggests eating more calories will make you gain weight.
                    i'm tending to agree with you. i've always heard about the nuts, but it breaks my heart that the butter would be a problem as well. i've so enjoyed smothering my cooked (in bacon grease) veggies with more butter.

Comment

You can still enjoy butter, there's nothing inherently bad about it, just be mindful of the amount. No need to add tons of fat to food you've already cooked in more fat.

Comment

Yeah but get real..
                        I'm as real as you. I just don't believe what you believe, and all the evidence I've seen tells me that you're mistaken. As I say, weight gain is hormonally driven. That's so whether you've been conditioned to believe otherwise or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                          I'm as real as you. I just don't believe what you believe, and all the evidence I've seen tells me that you're mistaken. As I say, weight gain is hormonally driven. That's so whether you've been conditioned to believe otherwise or not.
                          so, are you saying that it could be the nuts because of the hormonal response they create in me that causes me to add the fat rather than the added calories they have?

Comment

I got so fed up with all the annoyances of the monthly womanly woes, that I started on Seasonale. I would go with the drug that eliminates it all together, but they don't seem to have it in Canada yet.

Other than that, both nuts and butter could be a problem, particulary if you have difficulties digesting milk fats. Did you try eating avocados or oils instead of butter and cutting back on fats a little?
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

"Calories" do count. The issue is there's no such thing as a "calorie". 100 "calories" from pasta has a totally different value than 100 "calories" from ground beef. You need to find out what works for you. Primal is effective because the food you eat keeps insulin levels relatively low, so you can eat more "calories" and store less fat since less insulin is available to store it. It also keeps you fuller by getting most of your energy from fat, which keeps you sated more than carbohydrate. However, it's still up to you to find out how much fat is too much fat. You can still get fat off this lifestyle. You simply have a metabolic advantage.

Nuts, however, contain lots of polyunsaturates, which are far more likely to be stored as fats than saturates or monounsaturates, so that's a big con in your corner. Also, butter contains milk protein and causes an insulin response, so it's not the best fat for fat burn. You are better off dropping nuts for beef jerky and dropping butter for coconut oil. The drop in omega 6's from dropping the nuts, and all the MCT's from the coconut oil will work to your advantage.

However, if you're quite lean as it is and are looking to lose those last 10-15 stubborn pounds, you should check the link in my sig. If you fit the body type, it's the best method I've found...and I've tried them all.
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                              X