Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couldn't eating awful very rarely be beneficial?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couldn't eating awful very rarely be beneficial?

My boss had a going away lunch. They wanted pizza, which means I had to go. So I figured what the hell, I'll eat some pizza. I hadn't eaten bread in months, so why not?

Well, I feel awful. Light headed, vision is a little blurry, and I know I'm about to crash. Oh, and I'm bloated to boot. Just uuugghhh.

So I'm trying to make a positive out of this. I've heard from dieters about the "system shock" approach where you just go all out every so often to get your body out of rhythm. Tim Ferris (for what it's worth) talks about this in his 4 hour body book, but it didn't seem like the best idea to me.

Could the system shock thing do some good? Or is it total BS and I just might have to do an extra WoW this week?

ps~ I'm aware of what a carb refeed is, and I'm not talking about that.

there are plenty of people who think this is a good idea. basically, it's like a refeed...just a crappy one (crappy referring to the food, not the nature of the refeed). i know that ferris and a BBS guy named Joel Marion both advocate the idea of eating like a pack of teenagers once a week to kick your leptin production into high gear. i'll do this from time to time, at certain parties or for birthdays/holidays/etc...i just have to get control of how much i'm having or i can really feel sluggish and basically want to throw up for a couple of days. it's not going to cause any long term damage...have some pizza if it's going to connect you with people.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Pizza hormesis.

At least you were sociable and I hope it was tasty.

I say SUMO!
      activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

I agree, Grim. I figure it's like building up an immunity to iocaine powder.

Comment

i think what made u really sick were the grains/wheat. might be different for every person

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
            .. i know that ferris and a BBS guy named Joel Marion both advocate the idea of eating like a pack of teenagers once a week to kick your leptin production into high gear. ..
            I would be open to the idea that some variety, even bad variety, may still help, but I don't know if this leptin production explanation is correct or complete.

I think we can agree that we do not know all there is to know and likely never will. Sometimes you just experiment and do what works, even if you cant explain it.

Comment

Not sure if I'm repeating what others said, but it really sounds mental. If feeling awful reaffirms your faith/trust/whatever in eating healthy, it'll probably make you a better person in the long run.
              Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by usernamewhy View Post
                i think what made u really sick were the grains/wheat. might be different for every person
                That's exactly what made me sick.

Comment

I have always said, since discovering this site a few years ago, that Grok ate what he found. Sometimes that was trash. Sometimes it made him sick, and maybe he would remember not to eat that again. (avoid poisonous things). Sometimes he ate trash because that was all he could find. He wouldn't have had a perfect kill every day, and sometimes the land they roved through had vegetation that was unfamiliar to them.
                  I avoid grains and gluten daily, but every now and then I have a moment, I eat it, and I blow up like a tick. lol..a very visual reminder that I really shouldn't do that!

Comment

I thought you mistyped "offal" in the thread subject...
                    carl's cave

Comment

Well, one great thing about going all out awful -- and I mean really awful -- is that you usually end up so sick from it that you have zero interest in doing it again for a long time.

I bet you'll crave clean, healthy foods for at least a week.

Comment

exactly! at 115 lbs, I do not appreciate looking 6 months pregnant, when i am not. Therefore, I will not do that to myself for a VERY long time!

Comment

I did it recently and felt absolutely awful. It usually reminds me why i dont do it. and then i tend to go longer without binge eating. i think once every now and then isant going to hurt. your body has defences against these rare emergencies

Comment

Pizza kills me, whether the wheat or the cheese or the combo. I had fully intended to have some every couple of weeks and it's to the point where I get puffy, numb lips like some sort allergic reaction in addition to feeling like I was gut-punched. Refined sugar and flour I do OK, go figure. So I have some homemade treats a couple of times a month at work when my friend bakes, bless her heart.
                            Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Originally posted by ciep View Post
                              Well, one great thing about going all out awful -- and I mean really awful -- is that you usually end up so sick from it that you have zero interest in doing it again for a long time.

I bet you'll crave clean, healthy foods for at least a week.
                              I'm sure I definitely will.

Nice to see a fellow primal climber!

Comment

Working...
                              X