Rabbit starvation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabbit starvation

you know how the indians used rabbit as a food of last resort. I have notices that chicken just doesnt nourish me. it is annoying since i enjoy chicken but apparantly it doesnt feed me as the next day i am starving and weak.

comments?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
    you know how the indians used rabbit as a food of last resort. I have notices that chicken just doesnt nourish me. it is annoying since i enjoy chicken but apparantly it doesnt feed me as the next day i am starving and weak.

comments?
    Interesting. Never heard of that before.
    Georgette

Comment

Are you eating the darker meat, too, or just breast meat?

Comment

I eat the fattiest parts of chicken first(including skin). I always save the breast for last and eat it with added fat. Wild birds do not have white meat. The white meat on Turkeys and Chickens is from making them flightless. The muscles aren't used like they're supposed to be and are lacking in nutrients and such. You can breed the underused muscles to be big - but that doesn't make them wholly nutritious.

Not even flightless wild birds such as Ostriches and such have white meat.

Comment

Honey badger! Seen the youTube video?

Anyway, are you removing the chicken skin? (The problem with rabbits is their ultra-leanness, right?) I'd think that the rest of your diet should keep you satiated though.

Comment

Oh yeah -
            If you cook the chicken so most of the fat renders and drains away - you're not getting enough fat with your protein.

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
              Interesting. Never heard of that before.
              Yes, there's actually a term "rabbit starvation". The official name is "protein poisoning".

Stefansson used the term "rabbit starvation", although I don't know that he actually invented it. (The OED probably has the earliest traceable use in print.) Certainly, American indians seem to have considered that having only very lean meat, such as you get with small game, might actually be worse than having nothing to eat at all. You get diarrhoea within days, and in a couple of weeks you're dead. Political prisoners in some South American countries have actually been deliberately but rather stealthily executed that way—by giving them only lean meat to eat.

I don't know that anyone knows quite why it's so fatal.

Some low-carb diets, though not most, have too much protein and not enough fat. (I think the South Beach Diet is an example.) There are a number of problems with that kind of regimen—not least that it depletes vitamin A from the body.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                Yes, there's actually a term "rabbit starvation". The official name is "protein poisoning".

Stefansson used the term "rabbit starvation", although I don't know that he actually invented it. (The OED probably has the earliest traceable use in print.) Certainly, American indians seem to have considered that having only very lean meat, such as you get with small game, might actually be worse than having nothing to eat at all. You get diarrhoea within days, and in a couple of weeks you're dead. Political prisoners in some South American countries have actually been deliberately but rather stealthily executed that way—by giving them only lean meat to eat.

I don't know that anyone knows quite why it's so fatal.

Some low-carb diets, though not most, have too much protein and not enough fat. (I think the South Beach Diet is an example.) There are a number of problems with that kind of regimen—not least that it depletes vitamin A from the body.
                The things you learn here. Interesting.
                Georgette

Comment

i think i learned about the rabbit starvation from that Les Stroud's survivorman. He's a pretty interesting guy.

Comment

wabbit wiki
                    Last edited by localad; 07-19-2011, 10:48 AM.
                    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

I enjoy chicken albeit far less than i used to. I leave it for a weekend thing. This weekend i quartered a whole broiler( skin and all ) marrinaded it in garlic/ginger/habener/oilive oil/lime and grilled it on the grill. had 1/2 saturday 1/2 sunday and soup from the bones sunday night. but also on sunday night i was so ravenous that i took a bit of my lunch sirloin for monday and went to bed hungry, the kind og hungry that gives head aches. this is the second time i have felt that way after eating chicken on the weekend rather than my cow in the freezer. I sort of get tired of cow 5 days in a row. and i am scared to try pork the last time i ate pork i blew up 10 pounds over night.
                      no local goat and i am too poor for fish ( still recovering from cow outlay)

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Originally posted by localad View Post
                        hmm this brings up another thought.
                        I seem to react rapidly to some changes in my body. i cant see two days of this causing a problem unless my fat intake is smaller than i think it is ( and it may be i dont count )

i feel sometimes i am too strange for words

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

FWIW, real rabbit starvation is pretty freaking unlikely in first world living.

"excess consumption of any lean meat (e.g., rabbit) coupled with a lack of other sources of nutrients usually in combination with other stressors, such as severe cold or dry environment."
                          carl's cave

Comment

Originally posted by carlh View Post
                            FWIW, real rabbit starvation is pretty freaking unlikely in first world living.

"excess consumption of any lean meat (e.g., rabbit) coupled with a lack of other sources of nutrients usually in combination with other stressors, such as severe cold or dry environment."
                            Not only that, I actually like rabbit. I have one defrosting in the fridge right now.

Comment

Yeah rabbit's great! Unfortunately pretty expensive for me here so not worth the trouble. But yes...very tasty.
                              carl's cave

Comment

Working...
                              X