Primal IF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal IF

I have been doing Intermittent fasting for a while using Brad Pilon's Eat Stop Eat guidelines. I have always enjoyed the IF and felt good during the fasting period.

I just started my Primal Blueprint lifestyle change a couple weeks ago. I did the slow progression into it and have felt really good.

Today (starting at 7PM last night) was my first IF since starting the Primal change. All I can say is WOW! I have NEVER felt this good during a fast. There has always been moments of "hunger" during my IF in the past but not today. I haven't wanted anything all day. Plain green tea and water are the only two things I have ingested since 7PM last night and I haven't even thought of food or hunger since.

I am not sure if it can be attributed to the Primal Blueprint nutrition but this truly is the first time I have felt completely at ease during a fast.

Feel free to share your thoughts on this or challenge yourself to do a fast once you are settled into the primal nutrition lifestyle!

Definitely is due to the primal way of eating...

Fasting is pretty comfortable for me too. Sometimes I get a little "tummy rumble" around mealtimes, but it's habit-"hunger" not actual hunger... and I can easily do a 24 hour fast.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

@ mikecheliak

What is your IF schedule? Sorry I'm not familiar with the eat stop eat methodology. In the short search that I did it seems that it is very flexible. Just curious.

Comment

I've been IF'ing every single day (~20 hours) for a little over a week and I feel great. I don't even get hungry anymore, and I have a lot more free time;. It doesn't even feel like fasting anymore! It's fantastic how I adapted to this so quickly: I never thought I could go so long without eating! I'm probably going to stick to one-meal a day for all my life.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Why do you guys personally fast?

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Fasting for me is an additional tool to help control my nutrition. It helps in a leaning out phase and also gives you ownership over hunger and cravings. It is pretty liberating.

As to how I fast with ESE, it is very basic. Choose a time of day to stop eating (I usually choose just after dinner 6-7 PM). You do not consume any calories (including chewing gum, breath mints...). I only drink water and plain unsweetened green tea during my fast. Fast for a complete 24 hours from the time you last eat until the next feeding. As a word of caution, you may want to have an early dinner on your fast start day so you can have a very controlled "break-fast" meal. I try to have something like fruit and nuts and then wait a couple hours to have a good meal but still a normal sized primal meal. Tonight I had leftover lambchops and a salad.

Comment

Outside of some Thanksgiving indulging and general snacking, I&#39;ve been doing a daily 22-hour IF for the last couple of weeks.

One meal a day works out great for me, especially with my work schedule now.

1) It saves time.

2) It saves money.

3) It restricts calories.

4) It burns fat.

5) I feel totally energetic.

Comment

I&#39;ve been following Warrior Diet guidelines off and on since July... for the last few months have just been cutting breakfast and not eating until around noon, but now I am back to a full daily fast and am feeling pretty good. All day during school I was awake and alert with no drowsiness, and after the early morning my hunger mostly subsided and I didn&#39;t start eating until 8 PM, about 22 hours without food. I also went to a pretty intense wrestling practice and I felt even less hungry than before.

All in all, a good experience. My mother won&#39;t stop worrying though .

Comment

Is this ideal, though? I know smaller meals are reccomended, since even a meal only high in fat and protein can still have an effect on insulin given the size of the meal...Personally, I feel much better after a good hearty meal rather than hours after I&#39;ve eaten breakfast, even though my carb intake generally (incidently) lands between 50-75g a day. I won&#39;t necessarily feel very hungry, just kind of spacey. What would you guestimate your calorie intake is for a pre-fast meal? I&#39;ve tried fasting, but I don&#39;t really find it too important...Not something I&#39;d really stress to do...I think I&#39;d be a little nervous if I started losing any more weight, which seems to be the main intention of a fast, correct?

On a mission to help others master movement, build unbreakable strength, & eat MORE food (can't beat that.) Weekly fitness, health & nutrition articles at indulgentfitness.com.

Comment

Fasting for sure is a weight loss tool and you don&#39;t really need to adopt that into your nutritional plan. Once I hit my happy weight using the Primal Blueprint and IF, I will likely give up the IF unless I need it out of convenience. Sometimes I am on remote photo shoots for an entire day so that may be handy...I will however ensure I refeed adequately.

Comment

@Jess - losing weight is certainly one intention of fasting, at least the way ESE plots it out (2 24-hour fasts per week), but there are other benefits. IF has been shown to aid in reducing inflammation, which is important to someone like me who has asthma and colitis. I find that I simply feel better when IF is a consistent part of my life.

If you don&#39;t see a reason why YOU should fast, though, then don&#39;t. I added IFing into my life for (a) weight loss; and (b) the inflammation thing. If you have no problems that you think fasting will help, don&#39;t worry about it. I don&#39;t think anyone would say it&#39;s something you must do for optimal health.

Comment

@SocraticMethod, I did get really into it for awhile, I read a lot on it and evidently it has a long list of benefits...I just wonder if it&#39;s really worth it, I mean, who would want to go hungry?! Then I wonder, are people fasting really experiencing hunger? They seem to feel "good" and energized...All I know is the first thing I&#39;m thinking when I wake up every morning is a big fat plate of eggs...!

Comment

Jess, I&#39;m with you -- at my desired body comp, and wondering if there&#39;s any point in IFing.

I typically go 15 hours between dinner and breakfast, though. Does that count as a fast? In other words, is there a benefit in "fasting" 15 hours vs 10 or so overnight?

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

@Jess

I&#39;m about half way through reading The Warrior Diet. (It was at the local library.) I found myself naturally going into this mode. A simplified concept is IF or eat very little during the day. Then feast at your evening meal. His explanation regarding the benefits and how the body actually responds is very imformative. What I find very interesting is the foods you eat or don&#39;t eat at certain times... without being very restrictive. He encourages personal adjustment to suit your own needs.

For the record I&#39;ve not yet read Primal Blueprint since it is on my Christmas list

Comment

@BarbieGirl

Based on what I&#39;m reading right now, your 15 hours is very beneficial. Based on the Warrior diet you would fill your energy needs by enjoying light protein such as boiled eggs,nuts,and real carbs such as raw vegetables during the day.

Dinner start with a salad, followed by cooked vegetables and meat, followed by more starchy carbs if desired. (I stay from the starchy carbs) Once you start to feel more thirsty than hungry this is the first signal you are starting to feel full.

Comment

Working...
                              X