IFing and work outs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IFing and work outs

I recently started IF and liking it. I usually do a 16-18 hr fast, but sometimes 24 hours. My last meal can sometimes be around 3 pm and I work out the next day at around 9 am. I have a black coffee before my workout. Sometimes if my energy is kinda on the low side, I will grab a piece of fruit like an orange or peach. Is this beneficial? I am screwing up my fast? Any advice is appreciated.

A piece of fruit will cause an insulin spike and take you out of a fasted state. It will replenish your glycogen supply though. Berries are the only for of fruit that are a staple in my diet personally.
    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Thanks. So you just work out fasted?

Comment

I workout fasted in the morning and again fasted around noonish then I have lunch. I would also suggest having some protein in addition to or instead of just a piece of fruit. Just fruit after a night's fast will cause an insulin spike without readily available protein which isn't a good thing if you're trying to gain or maintain muscle mass.

Comment

I lift fasted first thing in the morning, no problems any more. But cardio is very hard fasted & anything high intensity when I get over 10 hout fasting mark. I had near faint experiences when doing Zumba or swimming on the tail end of the fast (into 18'th-20'th hour). For me the recharge of choice is a cup of chicken broth (20 cals, within the 50 cal limit), or if I decide to do cardio in the evening I have canned fish or egg whites with a bit of veg. I'd rather break the fast than have a crush in the middle of the cardio.
          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I workout fairly heavy in the fasted state 3 days a week, walk 30-45 minutes the other 2 days also fasted. I workout around 10am and eat at 1130 or so. 1st meal is something like 2 chicken breasts, veggies or salad, and rice or potatoes once or twice a week. If I do fruit it's in the evening with second meal.

Comment

I got used to it.
              Lifting Journal

Comment

I check and see if I am still working on my leptin sensitivity before I do my IF'ing....

Comment

Originally posted by DFH View Post

I check and see if I am still working on my leptin sensitivity before I do my IF'ing....

I asked in another thread or 2, but doesn't that plan have a 14 hr IF?
                  Lifting Journal

Comment

It's three meals a day, no snacks. You could consider that a 13-14 hour IF window.

But, the IF thing kind of loses meaning if everyone who does 3 meals and no snacks is also IF'ing, wouldn't it?

All we would be left with is IF=No snacks.

If that is true then, just say "no snacks."

Comment

Hence, my standard argument that everyone fasts and it is therefore unlikely to do damage without co-factors.

I do give you credit for moderating your position in the fact of the facts.
                      Lifting Journal

Comment

Well yeah, unless you sit at the table and munch day and night, everyone stops eating at some point, hence "everyone fasts."

That still kind of makes the whole IF thing meaningless.

It's like saying "everyone breathes" or "everyone sleeps."

Comment

You do that every day.

Comment

Well yeah, unless you sit at the table and munch day and night, everyone stops eating at some point, hence "everyone fasts."

That still kind of makes the whole IF thing meaningless.

It's like saying "everyone breathes" or "everyone sleeps."
                            Quite the difference from your breathless hysteria when you first saw fasting mentioned and were convinced it was going to do many people great harm...
                            Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                              Quite the difference from your breathless hysteria when you first saw fasting mentioned and were convinced it was going to do many people great harm...
                              No need to exaggerate. I raised the question of rT3 and practically everyone got angry and made fun of it.

Now people are doing leptin reset, and starting to understand rT3. Dr K has confirmed that IF is a terrible idea if you are leptin resistant. Eating 3 meals is not really IF'ing. If that is the point you are trying to make, you really have no point to make.

Comment

Working...
                              X