Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best places for a quick primal meal on the go?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best places for a quick primal meal on the go?

I know Mark has a lot of information for what to do in restaurants, but how about some suggestions for "faster" places?

I don't mean McDonalds, but, for example,

One place I frequent is a local "fresh mex" chain called Salsarita's. I can get a large salad with beef or pork on it, and the guacamole is free, so I have them pile it on.. as well as some other veg. It's a great primal lunch.

Any other ideas?

Most burger joints in my area will have protein-style burgers (no bun, usually wrapped in lettuce). Ask for it without sauce and it's good in my book. Anything with meat and vege will work.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

I get salads at Chipotle. Replace the beans and rice with the fajita peppers. Pico de Gallo instead of dressing. Yum. And, my kids eat it up.

Comment

Texas Bar-B-Q!!!! Can't beat it. All kinds of meat available and veggies on the side.

Also, I've had good luck at Wendys. They have pretty good salads with chicken.

Boston Market is also a good choice. You can get chicken or turkey and salad and veggies.
        Last edited by pdovers; 07-18-2011, 08:39 AM.
        Knee deep in the water somewhere got the blue sky breeze blowin' wind thru my hair only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair. Zack Brown Band

Comment

But BBQ sauce is usually loaded with sugar or HFCS in many cases, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by astronmr20 View Post
            But BBQ sauce is usually loaded with sugar or HFCS in many cases, correct?
            BBQ sauce is not primal so stay away from it. The BBQ places in Texas (the ones I've been to) do not put sauce on the meat. They have it there for you to add on top if you want it. The meat is slow cooked with spices and primal as far as I know, but don't quote me, I am no expert.
            Knee deep in the water somewhere got the blue sky breeze blowin' wind thru my hair only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair. Zack Brown Band

Comment

I love the salads at Chipotle. I get the pulled pork over lettuce with guacamole and pico de gallo. No dressing. The guacamole and salsa are enough. The pulled pork doesn't have soybean oil, either. Most of their other burrito fillings do.

Comment

I go to Whole Foods or New Seasons. Sometimes I hit the salad bar, and sometimes a trip to the deli for that flatiron steak is the ticket.
                Downside--expensive.
                "Wait! I'll fix it!"
                "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
                "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

Comment

Originally posted by pdovers View Post
                  BBQ sauce is not primal so stay away from it. The BBQ places in Texas (the ones I've been to) do not put sauce on the meat. They have it there for you to add on top if you want it. The meat is slow cooked with spices and primal as far as I know, but don't quote me, I am no expert.
                  the problem i have w/ bbq places is that mostly there really is no "veg" at all. I don't want beans or potato salad & most places use way too much mayo in the cole slaw. just my personal gripe.

Comment

My go to for burgers is In-n-Out burger (protein style/animal style/ 4 patty)

My Other staple is El Pollo Loco. Chicken platter with double veggies.

On occasion I will hit the Panda Express by my house, lots of options there.

Comment

I usually go for a chipotle bowl
                      Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by Karma View Post
                        My go to for burgers is In-n-Out burger (protein style/animal style/ 4 patty)

My Other staple is El Pollo Loco. Chicken platter with double veggies.

On occasion I will hit the Panda Express by my house, lots of options there.
                        You can also get a flying dutchman which is just meat and cheese or just meat.
                        <3-Crystal

Comment

If you live in a city with halal carts you can get the meat without rice/pita/whatever grain.

Comment

A lot of sandwiches can be an option if you pull the bread.
                            Burgers can definitely be a good food order (no, not McDonalds or Burger King - that's not anything close to food) - toss the bun and swap the fries for a green salad and you have a pretty good meal.
                            BLTs - around here they give you lots and lots of bacon - you can usually ask for no mayo if you want to avoid commerical mayo ...and some places will let you throw in an avocado (yikes, thinking of this one makes me hungry)
                            Reuben - corned beef and sauerkraut - skip the swiss cheese or not depending on your relationship with dairy.
                            Philly Cheesesteak - most places will actually make this without the cheese for you - steak, onions and peppers grilled - perfect!
                            Pastrami on Rye - you'll get a huge amount of pastrami, a ton of yummy coleslaw - hold the dressing

Chop't is a great chain in the DC/NY area with lots of great salad options. To many to list. You do have to watch for sugar in the dressings but there are options without.

Corner Bakery is a tough place to go if you have bread issues (like I do) but they do have options. Their breakfast scramblers are actually quite good and all of the locations I've had them will leave off the potatoes if you ask. The chicken harvest salad is good - have them make it fresh to leave off the croutons or if you are in a rush pick them out before adding the dressing. A trio of salads also is an option - with egg, DC chicken, tuna, and greek salads all options. I do assume all the dressing have sugar - if that's an issue for you.
                            My primal journal that I don't update enough:
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Comment

For cheap and fast, I usually try to stop in grocery stores! Greek yogurt + banana or some deli meats and cheese or some cooked proteins from the hot food area with fresh raw fruits or veggies are all ready to consume and quick to buy. It doesn't give you that restaurant feel, but if I end up needing a meal, it's a good quick go-to.

Comment

Working...
                              X