Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whey Protein with Coconut Milk PWO?

Hi All,

Recently I've not bothered with any PWO nutrition to speak of, but rugby season is approaching and I feel the need to add a bit more (hopefully lean) bulk. I was wondering whether a scoop of whey protein (I'm lactose intolerant, so will either use Isolate or Concentrate with a lactase tablet) with a can (400ml) of coconut milk would be effective PWO?

I'll probably add some other ingredients on occasion (e.g. glutamine or mashed frozen fruit), but nothing too game-changing.

Will the fat in the coconut milk neutralise the point of getting protein in directly PWO e.g. by slowing digestion?

Excuse my ignorance, but what the hell is PWO?

Comment

I think it means Post Work Out

Comment

Yep, sorry it is indeed post workout

Comment

Usually fat is slow to digest, but coconut milk is high in MCTs which digest very quickly so it's not a bad option.
          I take MCT oil pre-WO sometimes and it gives me lots of energy, but for post workout I usually eat starchy carbs and protein. If you want to put on some mass, eat starch and protein instead of coconut milk post-WO.

EDIT: Oops, meant milk not oil.
          Last edited by Laconophile; 07-16-2011, 04:50 PM.
          Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

Thanks Laconophile. Are there any practical starchy carbs that I can carry to the gym as it takes me an hour or more to get home

Comment

Originally posted by maclrc View Post
              Thanks Laconophile. Are there any practical starchy carbs that I can carry to the gym as it takes me an hour or more to get home
              White rice should do the trick. Almost pure starch which converts to pure glucose in the stomach.

Comment

Don't worry, your muscles are not going to waste away if you don't get your PWO meal in within an hour –that's just more CW BS perpetuated by the supplement companies trying to sell more protein powder.

Comment

Yep, sorry it is indeed post workout
                  Interesting, I'm wondering what acronym you use for pre workout.

Comment

Agreed. I workout in the early am, drink some homemade carrot juice. I'm not shrinking or losing any muscle. Love that people here are self thinkers.

Comment

I was just wondering whether there was any truth behind the CW theory of boosted protein-synthesis directly after a workout

Comment

Im pretty sure Mark has mentioned before that he tries not to eat for around 2 hours after a workout. Not sure on the science behind it.

Comment

"As I mentioned in the earlier Dear Mark, after a workout is prime opportunity for protein synthesis. For that reason I usually do a high protein snack in the first 30-60 minutes to capitalize on that benefit. (Carbs, as you recall, arenít necessary for the enhanced synthesis, and I donít recommend them in any form after a workout thatís under an hourís time.) However, I also occasionally choose to fast after a workout to maximize another physiological benefit Ė the rise in human growth hormone (HGH), which critically influences everything from bone density to muscle mass and organ reserve to general cell reproduction in the bodyís systems."

Found this; seems Mark likes to mix it up a bit PWO. Moving forward, I think I'll either have some biltong or just wait until I get home to eat after workouts

Comment

Working...
                          X