Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So miracle noodles....

Shirataki MiracleNoodle Shop!

Has anyone tried them? Is there anything unhealthy about them that anyone knows. Also I don't buy the food at my house so I'm wondering how they compare in price to regular grain noodles they have in the store. I was just wondering if they would be a good alternative for my family who isn't going primal in any way ...at least yet.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

They're like rice noodles. Sort of a suidgy texture with very little taste. The texture would seem weird if you are expecting wheat noodles but I like Asian food so it's no problem for me. They are almost pure dietary fiber so some people have reported that that can cause GI problems but I've never experienced that.

Comment

What about the price issue? The noodles my family buys are standard spaghetti noodles not wheat. Is the cost a lot higher on these? 3.29 for 7 oz how much do regular noodles cost? I guess no one hear might remember that though since everyone doesn't eat regular noodles :P. I guess I'll ask my mom what she pays.

Oh yeah and did I miss the Spaghetti noodles or do they not have those?
      Body Fat 25.4%
      Fat Mass 63.721
      Fat Free Mass 74.6%
      Fat Free Mass 187.087
      Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)

Comment

Originally posted by Raiken3712 View Post
        What about the price issue? The noodles my family buys are standard spaghetti noodles not wheat. Is the cost a lot higher on these? 3.29 for 7 oz how much do regular noodles cost? I guess no one hear might remember that though since everyone doesn't eat regular noodles :P. I guess I'll ask my mom what she pays.

Oh yeah and did I miss the Spaghetti noodles or do they not have those?
        Standard spaghetti noodles are wheat. (?) Oh, you thought I meant whole wheat. White flour is wheat just more processed.
        I don't have a clue about the price aspect. There are several companies on the net selling this type of noodle at some reasonable prices if you are willing to buy a whole box. If you want to try them first before buying in bulk, I suggest you find the nearest Asian market. Sometimes they call them shiritake but then there are also some shiritake noodles that are tofu so be sure to get the right ones. Sometimes they call them yam noodles or konjac root noodles depending on the brand.

Comment

They tasted awful when I tried a very similar product. Plus compared to standard noodles they are expensive. If you plan on eating them make sure its in some kind of dish to cover the taste.

Comment

Sadly, I have never found anything that works with primal to substitute for noodles. I'm not a big pasta fan, but noodles, like with asian food? *sigh* I love em. I'm up there with you regarding ramen - not the icky little packet that comes with flavouring for them, but the noodles itself, they are divine. Spaghetti squash just doesn't cut it, though it'll tide me over in a pinch. I look at Shanghai Noodles with sadness.

On the up side, I now eat a ton more different foods that I love as much or even possibly more than those delicious, buckwheat or rice based asian noodles. I miss them less, because I eat more, and more variety, and overall food has become just better. Food is not just about shovelling it in, but about flavour and texture and cooking again. I can live without noodles, because I am healthier and happier this way.

Having said that, I do treat myself occasionally to some Pad Thai, and I enjoy every bite.
            Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

I've had them - they're tasty. Remember to wash them in cold water before using them. They kind of ferment in the juices they're packed in, so if you forget to wash them you end up with the fishy taste a lot of people complain about. The key to making them work is to remember they are an Asian food and their texture will *not* work in western noodle dishes. They go best in sukiyaki (what the Japanese traditionaly use them for) and other broth dishes. They can also be stirfried if you're careful. They'll soak up the flavoring of any sauce they're paired with.

Comment

I haven't tried them because the only ones I can find here are the type made of tofu.

Some options:
                - kelp noodles -- these can either be eaten raw or cooked. they have no flavor on their own. they have zero calories and zero carbs. i make a damn good raw pad thai recipe with them. the trick to them is to rinse and soak them for 20 minutes in water with lemon juice to soften them/their consistency up, then rinse again so they don't taste like lemon.
                - zucchini and yellow squash "ribbon" noodles. these are yum and are reminiscent of egg noodles. check out meadow's vlog for more info. my new fave comfort food.
                - depending on how your body reacts to them, rice sticks and bean thread can be excellent occasional sensible indulgence options when you really gotta scratch that itch. you can find both in the international aisle or your Asian market. i can do the rice noodles/sticks, but not the bean thread. YMMV.
                "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I use them (the konjak root ones), I love them, they take on the taste of whatever sauce you cook them in. Don't know about the US, but over here, they're a dollar a packet.
                  My Journal

Comment

Where do you get your from EM? I found some in Fremantle and I think they cost me $4 and then when I went into my asian supermarket and asked for them she didnt even know what they were????
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45312.html[SIGPIC]

Comment

You can order them from miraclenoodle.com -- they are made of konjak root and are pretty much all fiber. I did not find them particularly appetizing and you do need to really rinse them well -- they even smell fishy as you rinse them. I am not a big fan of oriental, so that may be why I didn't find much use for them.
                      Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Comment

The chain(safeway/raley's) stores have the tofu/yam type, the asian market has the 100% yam. Either place is $2 for 16oz. Another thing to add is not to over cook them they get tough. What works best is cook long enough to get hot.

I made some saimin recently

saimin by ktvamp, on Flickr
                        http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for all the responses I might try them at some point but the main thing I wanted them for was spaghetti which my family eats at least every other week....sometimes it seems like at least once every week. Someone said they aren't good for that though.
                          Body Fat 25.4%
                          Fat Mass 63.721
                          Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                          Fat Free Mass 187.087

Comment

Def. check out meadow's vlog for her goulash w/ zucchini ribbons recipe, then triple the zucchini and summer squash for a more spaghetti-like dish rather than meat-heavy goulash. It's delicious. I do sub out the individual spices listed for an Italian spice blend and I omit the peppers and halve the the tomato products. I'm not even supposed to be having nightshades, yet I keep making this dish.
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Working...
                            X