Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you gain weight if you don't feel hungry?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you gain weight if you don't feel hungry?

I'm in the particular position that I need to gain weight, and I have lunch and dinner for the day at 1-9pm. I'm thinking to myself that IF is not making me put weight.

On the other hand I have no hunger between those meals, and if you follow Mark's advice on "eat when you're hungry", then I just don't and never end up gaining any appreciable weight.

Maybe I just got used to the bigger meals... I' considering going back to 3 meals a day with breakfast or, blasphemy as you may think about it, start having grains again to gain weight. Diary, eggs, nuts, fruit, nothing affects me, and grains didn't either, I basically just started going grain-less out of curiosity and a bit of a way of losing weight.

The problem is I lost too much weight and now I want to gain around 7kgs.

Force yourself to eat... ice cream and lots of sweet potatoes. Rice with chicken curry. Lots of fruit.
    Lots of people have also noticed that when they eat breakfast they get hungrier later.

Good luck. I wish I was in your position!

Comment

Yeah... this is a bit problematic for me... I'm burning calories like crazy and I barely do any cardio (walking). I workout twice a week and that's that.

I eat 2300-2400 calories on rest days and 2700-2800 on workout days. I barely gained 1kg in the last 2-3 weeks. And then I get really surprised with people saying they only eat 1500 calories a day.

And I'm only 69kgs (150lbs or so).

My body must be burning calories like crazy, and I'm averaging 150-300g of carbs a day.

Comment

How tall are you? At 5'11, 61kg I know I need at least 2500kcals to maintain, and if you're not even there on your rest days I'm not surprised you're not gaining. The answer is to eat more, even when not hungry. A large breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day, and if you tolerate dairy then milk is a good tool as well. I'm not advocating GOMAD necessarily, but liquid calories are the easiest to consume, and there aren't very many Primal liquid calorie sources .

Pile eggs fried in butter or lard on top of your food. If you eat veggies, use even more fat to stir-fry them. Making mashed potatoes? Add more butter! When eating fish (which tends to be filling and calorie-light) use caloric sauces like home-made Primal mayonnaise (use olive oil, optionally mix in some duck, goose, cow, or pig fat), hollandaise, etc. If pan-frying a steak when you're done and resting the steak (you do rest your steaks, right?) put a pat of butter or a splash of heavy cream into the pan with the flame still on and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to get the drippings incorporated into the butter/cream, and pour that over the steak as a sauce.

Hot Chocolate: melt 2-3oz good dark chocolate with 2Tbsp coconut oil (or butter, depends on taste) over a gentle flame. When melted whisk in a cup of milk and let it heat through. Enjoy

Comment

My dad and all his family are tall and very thin; I remember my dad and his brothers trying to gain weight back in the 1950 with milkshakes and other such fattening food--meaning what fattens most people--loaded with sugar, starch, etc. A process they did not enjoy as I would have. Not a one ever changed that basic shape, and normally they all ate lots of food, more to the primal side than not. Here is where your basic biology does play a role: mesomorph-avg, ectomorph-thin, endomorph-large. You might like to look at this site: Your Body Type - Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph? | Muscle & Strength

In Life Without Bread, Wolfgang Lutz, a Viennese doctor who used the low-carb (under 72g) diet to treat thousands of patients, has a photo of an emaciated looking fellow who couldn't gain weight, until he went on this lower carb program. His before and after pictures where dramatic.

So do you eat enough but not too much good primal carbs? Do you get plenty of fat and protein? If so, you are probably just the shape you are genetically meant to be. Which is not to say you can't add muscle with weight training.
          WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Comment

If you're trying to gain weight, then Mark's advice to eat only when you're hungry simply does not apply. That is not the goal toward which his advice is tailored. If you're trying to gain weight and you're not having any success, then eat more.

You may need upwards of 1000kcal more than you're eating. I'm very slight, 5'9" and about 150lbs, and eat at least about 2500kcal a day on average without training and don't gain. If I want to gain, I drink a litre of milk on training days (two or three times a week) and training consists only of heavy deads, squats, weighted pullups, dips - in some combination or another.

So yeah.. ignore your natural hunger prompt and eat. Oh, and I would advise to eat a lot of protein, >1g/lb LBM. If you're 135lbs LBM and you want to put on, say, 15lbs muslce, then perhaps eat at least 150g protein/day. I don't know if that's bunk or not, but it's worked for me (although, as I said, I'm a little guy so maybe you don't want to listen to me )

Comment

I'm not super anti-grain but knowing all I do about them now I could never go back to making them a staple. I have bread sometimes, very rarely, and I know full well it won't kill me but I would never include it all the time.

Just eat white rice with fatty meat, and forget about IF. I realize you said you're not really doing IF on purpose anymore, just out of being used to it, but similarly once you start having breakfast again you will get used to that 3 meal a day schedule. Also, feel free to snack whenever any type of hunger comes about.

The easiest thing for my body to do is gain weight, so I can't share any personal experience trying to gain. I notice you're eating a lot of carbs already, which is good, are you also eating a lot of fat? Have you always had this "issue" ?? could just be that's just the way your body does it ...
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by jjones View Post
                If you're trying to gain weight, then Mark's advice to eat only when you're hungry simply does not apply. That is not the goal toward which his advice is tailored. If you're trying to gain weight and you're not having any success, then eat more.

You may need upwards of 1000kcal more than you're eating. I'm very slight, 5'9" and about 150lbs, and eat at least about 2500kcal a day on average without training and don't gain. If I want to gain, I drink a litre of milk on training days (two or three times a week) and training consists only of heavy deads, squats, weighted pullups, dips - in some combination or another.

So yeah.. ignore your natural hunger prompt and eat. Oh, and I would advise to eat a lot of protein, >1g/lb LBM. If you're 135lbs LBM and you want to put on, say, 15lbs muslce, then perhaps eat at least 150g protein/day. I don't know if that's bunk or not, but it's worked for me (although, as I said, I'm a little guy so maybe you don't want to listen to me )
                Robb Wolf even suggests 1g per lb of total body weight (for everyone actually, not just people looking to gain weight).

Comment

Wouldn't the only way to put on the "right" kind of weight be body-building?

Comment

Salt does wonders when it comes to hunger (I'm guessing due to how it triggers thirst). Salted macadamias do it for me (waaay to easy to overeat those). That, and coconut milk, just drink it straight.

Comment

I'm always perplexed when people say that they want to gain weight. We all know how to gain fat if that's really what you want to do. It's really easy to find calorie dense foods (primal and non-primal) that will help add fat. Nuts are probably another good idea for that. If it's muscle that you'd like to gain then welcome to the world of working out, protein, and carb cycling.
                      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by AndreaReina View Post
                        How tall are you? At 5'11, 61kg I know I need at least 2500kcals to maintain, and if you're not even there on your rest days I'm not surprised you're not gaining. The answer is to eat more, even when not hungry. A large breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day, and if you tolerate dairy then milk is a good tool as well. I'm not advocating GOMAD necessarily, but liquid calories are the easiest to consume, and there aren't very many Primal liquid calorie sources .
                        Holy batman, your maintenance is higher than mine. I'm 6'1/6'2 and 69kgs/152lbs. Yes, I may need to back to 3 or 4 meals a day. I once had 100kgs on my 5 meals a day.

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                        I'm not super anti-grain but knowing all I do about them now I could never go back to making them a staple. I have bread sometimes, very rarely, and I know full well it won't kill me but I would never include it all the time.

Just eat white rice with fatty meat, and forget about IF. I realize you said you're not really doing IF on purpose anymore, just out of being used to it, but similarly once you start having breakfast again you will get used to that 3 meal a day schedule. Also, feel free to snack whenever any type of hunger comes about.

The easiest thing for my body to do is gain weight, so I can't share any personal experience trying to gain. I notice you're eating a lot of carbs already, which is good, are you also eating a lot of fat? Have you always had this "issue" ?? could just be that's just the way your body does it ...
                        Man, I was 100kg once. I consider myself skinny fat whether you believe it or not. I have little muscle and gain it in a very difficult fashion. I also gain (or gained) fat pretty easily.

When I started going Primal I was 86kgs, and doing Starting Strength. I dropped the weights and gone to bodyweight routines.

I was doing 5 meals a day. After going primal I went to 3 meals a day. Then I made one of the worst mistakes in my life: I found LeanGains and intermittent fasting. I went from breakfast, lunch and dinner to only lunch and dinner. I became obsessed with calorie counting (I know you don't count calories, and I'm glad you don't), I became OCD, dropped a HELL of a lot of weight and entered the hospital with low pulse rate and swollen feet at 67kgs and 186cm (that's 6'1 or 6'2).

I left the hospital with the same weight, skinny and fat at the same time (arms like shit and a gut). Now I'm 69kgs, with a bit more muscle and less bodyfat since I've been working out. I'm feeling better since the sting at the hospital, but I know/believe that the trick is put some weight on, at least get up to 75/77 kgs for my weight.

I could have probably been there already if I wasn't so OCD about things and scared about gaining fat (and no muscle), or I would already have indulged in nuts, coconut oil and nut butters. I would get there quickly, but at the cost of almost 100% fat.

Today I'm experimenting 3 meals instead of 2. However, it's still on IF, a 16/8 feeding window. I just had a workout today and had a purposedly small 800-900 calorie meal at lunch so I can have another one at 5pm and another one at 9pm, the biggest one. Notice I'm not following the huge carb fest Martin recommends after workout. In fact, I'm leaving most of my carbs for later at night. In the words of Alan Aragorn, it doesn't really matter much the precise macro nutrient distribution in the hours, concentrate on the day instead. And carbs at night make me feel better.

As I'm feeling better I'm going to have 3 meals on workout days in the feeding window, and probably on rest days as well so I don't have to stress my stomach so much with all those calories.

At least for some days to assess if IF is really for me (which I guess it's not)... and before or after going to Algarve with my girlfriend, I may just get back to the 3 meals a day with breakfast, lunch and dinner (or even 4 with an afternoon meal/snack).

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                        I'm always perplexed when people say that they want to gain weight. We all know how to gain fat if that's really what you want to do. It's really easy to find calorie dense foods (primal and non-primal) that will help add fat. Nuts are probably another good idea for that. If it's muscle that you'd like to gain then welcome to the world of working out, protein, and carb cycling.
                        It's not perplexing, it's that I want to gain some weight, and I forgot to add in the post that the weight I want to gain, obviously, is as lean as possible. I know I'll gain some fat along the way, and I also want to gain muscle, and as much of it as possible.

I'm already working out with weights.
                        Last edited by JPA; 07-15-2011, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I'm in your same position.. Looking to add 10 lbs or so.. Very lean now, & looking to put on some lean size..

Here's my thoughts.. Maybe you can relate..

You will not gain weight unless you eat more calories than you burn.. Since we need calorie surplus we adjust our workout by; resing more between sets, lifting heavy, no cardio.. Train like a strength trainer..

Eat more fats.. Nuts, avocado, maybe olive oil shots..

Slam as many carbs as you like after you workout.. Maybe this is your cheat meal, ice cream, milk, coconut milk.. I would still keep it primal.. A lot of potatoes & maybe dairy if you can handle.. Maybe eat some of your grains if you digest them well.. But only after a workout..

The key is eating more.. Kick up the calories, & spread them over the 3 meals if you need.. I also agree, IF is a good thing.. Will keep your gains "lean".. But when you eat in that 8-hour window, eat & enjoy!

Comment

I was 143lbs about a year ago when I started working with a personal trainer. I'm currently 20 and 5'10. Over the next 5 months I increased my weight to 173lbs.

My weight gain was largely due to my motivation by the trainer, accountability of the trainer, personal motivation, and, at his direction, a daily intake of 3600cal. I ate oatmeal with a banana or two up to 4 times a day. All I did was eat. My bfp increased from 9-13.3 over those months, which isn't too bad. I was always hungry.

Before workout meals helped. I would put down 100g carbs beforehand, and have a protein shake and a ton of carbs after as well. I was keeping track of EVERYTHING I ate and was eating clean. No processed stuff or anything except for cheat meals once per week (at his direction, which were in addition to my daily intake. I nearly exploded those days. ).

You're going to want to put calories down, especially after the workout. That's your time to build.

If nothing else, you should up your calories about 200-300 on both rest and workout days. See how that helps your weight gain. Check once per week and tailor it to what worked. If you gain too much, try upping the calories only on workout days.

Best of luck!

Comment

I'm resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one... lots of good info on here already.

My 6' 4" inch, type 1 diabetic (pump user) husband is down to 165 lbs. In the 10 years we've been together, I'd say 175-185 is good place for him. He gets a little gut around 200 and has to go up to 36 pants. He is very muscular and strong (upper body), very lean torso, and has very skinny legs. He has dealt with some issues this year and is on several meds and though he is feeling better, he just doesn't have much appetite at all (meds somewhat responsible I think).

I try to get a smoothie in him almost every day -- whole organic milk, coconut milk, full fat greek yogurt, banana, berries, 2 scoops protein powder. He seems to be able to get that down fine because it's liquid. Then he will eat dinner, but just one plate -- usually meat, veg/salad, rice.

He did primal with me (80/20 I'd say) for several months and then when he lost weight, he declared it was due to the primal eating. It's actually due to him just NOT eating - no appetite. But anyway, he is back on bread, cereal, cookies -- I want him to eat whatever he can get down to gain 10 lbs or so.

Any suggestions?
                              My journal

Comment

Working...
                              X