Need a little help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help

Im having some trouble with the diet. I have been trying to be very strict and feel like Ive been doing well. The trouble Im having is I work a job where I walk at a fast pace carrying boxes that weigh 20 lbs or more, usually 9 hours a day. When I get around to a lunch or dinner meal a salad just doesn't feel weighty enough to fill me up so I find myself eating more animal products than I am vegetables. Also I have scarce time to eat while working which has really been sparking some sugar cravings. Was just wondering if anyone had any ideas how to solve the getting more vegetables in and also if that sugar craving will fade eventually. Thanks to anyone who helps

Your job sounds somewhat like mine. I walk starting at about 6am and keep going until the job is done - maybe noon, maybe 4:30pm.

Maybe you can balance out a lot of protein and fat in one meal with more veggies in another. Every meal doesn't have to be perfect by itself.
    Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
      Your job sounds somewhat like mine. I walk starting at about 6am and keep going until the job is done - maybe noon, maybe 4:30pm.

Maybe you can balance out a lot of protein and fat in one meal with more veggies in another. Every meal doesn't have to be perfect by itself.
      I work at a grocery store full time.

I get them into my breakfast, I do the primal omelet and that seems to do me well, but by lunch I want something pure meat. Dinner is usaully meat and vegetables but tends to once again be more meat. I also dont know if I should be eating more of certain things since I have so much low level aerobic cardio in my every day. Mark suggests 3-5 hours a week lol and Im doing at least 40.

Comment

Nothing wrong in higher protein and fat if you need it; veggies you can get at dinner. Don't forget to get plenty of liquids.
        This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
        Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Originally posted by aireals View Post
          I also dont know if I should be eating more of certain things since I have so much low level aerobic cardio in my every day. Mark suggests 3-5 hours a week lol and Im doing at least 40.
          I know what you mean. My typical work week is about 55 hours, and I'm walking around outside the whole time. I read utility meters. Since the standard advice is to walk around for an hour or so each day, I know I'm going to have different needs from most people, but I'm not sure what.

I've noticed I do really well with a little more fat, especially in the morning, but I'm also probably able to deal with a few more carbs than most. I'm still fine tuning, so I wish I had better advice. I know the fat really does help keep me from getting hungry sooner, but then when I get hungry after work, I'm just plain HUNGRY!
          Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by Digby View Post
            Nothing wrong in higher protein and fat if you need it; veggies you can get at dinner. Don't forget to get plenty of liquids.
            Ok thanks. Is the sugar cravings natural or just some sort of body detox going on?

Comment

The sugar craving could be withdrawal. For most people, that goes away after about 2 weeks.

I'd suggest adding more fat to your diet. It's hard to adjust to the idea that fat is good for you, but it really is. It also will make you feel full for longer.

Good luck, I hope this helps! Let us know how you do.

Comment

You don't have to have a salad for lunch. That's just what Mark does. I had one for dinner tonight.

IMHO you may need more carbs than most of us. Starchy veg. including potatoes. (Non-Primal statement, I know.)
                Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I'm also having similar issue. I'm working out almost everyday and i tried to take as little as carbohydrates as possible to lose weight but the problem is my diet makes me feel always tired and i feel like i don't have enough energy than i used to.

Comment

Soooo, eat more protein and fewer vegetables. It seems like that's what your body is trying to tell you. I very often eat eggs/meat for breakfast, and only meat for lunch, and eat my vegetables (with meat of course) at dinner. It works really well for me to go protein-heavy early in the day. The increased protein will help with the sugar cravings too. There is absolutely no reason to go hungry because you think you should be eating more veggies and less meat at lunch time. Mix it up a little so you find what satiates and fuels you best.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                      I know what you mean. My typical work week is about 55 hours, and I'm walking around outside the whole time. I read utility meters. Since the standard advice is to walk around for an hour or so each day, I know I'm going to have different needs from most people, but I'm not sure what.

I've noticed I do really well with a little more fat, especially in the morning, but I'm also probably able to deal with a few more carbs than most. I'm still fine tuning, so I wish I had better advice. I know the fat really does help keep me from getting hungry sooner, but then when I get hungry after work, I'm just plain HUNGRY!
                      Yeah thats exactly how I feel, not sure what my body needs though. Hoping I can fine tune that to get an optimal balance. Not sure if its starch carbs or just more food in general.

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
                      You don't have to have a salad for lunch. That's just what Mark does. I had one for dinner tonight.

IMHO you may need more carbs than most of us. Starchy veg. including potatoes. (Non-Primal statement, I know.)
                      Thats kind of what I was thinking, but figured my mind was trying to justify eating potatoes haha..

Originally posted by Ummmmya View Post
                      Soooo, eat more protein and fewer vegetables. It seems like that's what your body is trying to tell you. I very often eat eggs/meat for breakfast, and only meat for lunch, and eat my vegetables (with meat of course) at dinner. It works really well for me to go protein-heavy early in the day. The increased protein will help with the sugar cravings too. There is absolutely no reason to go hungry because you think you should be eating more veggies and less meat at lunch time. Mix it up a little so you find what satiates and fuels you best.
                      Alright thank you that advice helps a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post

Agree 100%! Folks who are a lot more physically active than your average primal person often seem to do better with more carbs. It's a trend I've seen consistently across the forums, and many folks who felt great staying in ketosis 24/7 (by eating very low carb) for months have decided to add more primal, starchy carbs back into their diets esp once they have lost the weight they wanted to lose and upped their activity/workout levels.

If I were in your position, I personally would add sweet potatoes, potatoes, etc, in addition to lots of veggies and meat. I'd eat the amount of meat, veg (including starchy ones) and fruit that feels right to you. I would try and follow your tastes. For me, sugar cravings *can* be linked to not eating enough good food (including primal carbs). Be sure to check the links in my sig for the basics of primal eating. The forums can tend to promote lower carb eating than Mark recommends. (We are each unique, and some do fabulous at a very low carb level while others do not--its a very personal thing you just need to figure out for yourself.) If I had your activity level I would probably eat _at least_ the amount of carbs recommended in the maintenance range (100-150g a day) or more.

Good luck playing around with all this and figuring out what works best for you!

ETA: If you are looking to lose weight, it can be possible to do while eating primal carbs in the maintenance range or above. (I lost lots of weight while continuing to eat lots of veggies, fruits, and even potatoes--staying in the higher end of the maintenance range. I also limited nuts and completely avoided dairy (I have an intolerance). This won't work for everyone, but you may be someone it does work for.) During the transition to the PB way of eating I think its more important to stick to primal foods (which for some folks actually does include potatoes!) more than keeping track of macros. You can always tweak that stuff once you've got the basics down.
                        Last edited by FairyRae; 07-14-2011, 10:25 PM.
                        My Before/After Pics
                        Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                          Agree 100%! Folks who are a lot more physically active than your average primal person often seem to do better with more carbs. It's a trend I've seen consistently across the forums, and many folks who felt great staying in ketosis 24/7 (by eating very low carb) for months have decided to add more primal, starchy carbs back into their diets esp once they have lost the weight they wanted to lose and upped their activity/workout levels.

If I were in your position, I personally would add sweet potatoes, potatoes, etc, in addition to lots of veggies and meat. I'd eat the amount of meat, veg (including starchy ones) and fruit that feels right to you. I would try and follow your tastes. For me, sugar cravings *can* be linked to not eating enough good food (including primal carbs). Be sure to check the links in my sig for the basics of primal eating. The forums can tend to promote lower carb eating than Mark recommends. (We are each unique, and some do fabulous at a very low carb level while others do not--its a very personal thing you just need to figure out for yourself.) If I had your activity level I would probably eat _at least_ the amount of carbs recommended in the maintenance range (100-150g a day) or more.

Good luck playing around with all this and figuring out what works best for you!
                          I agree that you will need more carbs. You need more food at the right times. It sounds to me like you don't get enough food at the beginning or middle of your day. If you don't have a big breakfast your muscle glycogen can keep you going until around noon, but you'll need that replenished for the rest of your day. You could go with a grain in the morning (Mark says he eats a sprouted toast or something) for a little bit of a kick-start (I am new to posting on the forum, and I'm not completely sold on the close to zero grain ideology). Mashed potatoes would also work. It's easier to eat that way too.
                          At Lunch I'd recommend a fruit smoothie. Pure juice and fruit. That way you can pack more calories into your meal with less consumption time.

If you balance your meals a little more toward the morning and noon, I think you'll see some good results in terms of fatigue and sugar cravings.

Have you done anything with counting calories?

Comment

Originally posted by KansanHealthNut View Post
                            You could go with a grain in the morning (Mark says he eats a sprouted toast or something) for a little bit of a kick-start (I am new to posting on the forum, and I'm not completely sold on the close to zero grain ideology).
                            Mark has not said that recently--that was most likely from a VERY old post--he does not recommend grains at all. (There was a more recent post on rice as its been something discussed in some paleo circles, but the sprouted bread rec is old...I do recall seeing that in the archives.) Just to clarify!

Oh, and I think the mashed potato idea is a great one for this poster!

Here are a couple of links that might be helpful to you:
                            Are Potatoes Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple
                            Are Potatoes Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
                            Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
                            My Before/After Pics
                            Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Originally posted by FairyRae View Post
                              Mark has not said that recently--that was most likely from a VERY old post--he does not recommend grains at all. (There was a more recent post on rice as its been something discussed in some paleo circles, but the sprouted bread rec is old...I do recall seeing that in the archives.) Just to clarify!

Oh, and I think the mashed potato idea is a great one for this poster!

Here are a couple of links that might be helpful to you:
                              Are Potatoes Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple
                              Are Potatoes Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
                              Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
                              You are correct. I've been going through the archives, and that bit of information was from 2006. I apologize for the misinformation.

Comment

Working...
                              X