X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soylent Green!

New method for making human-based gelatin

Mmmm Mmmm!

"...Animal-based gelatin, which is made most often from the bones and skin of cows and pigs, may carry a risk of infectious diseases such as "Mad Cow" disease and could provoke immune system responses in some people. Animal-based gelatin has other draw-backs, with variability from batch to batch, for instance, creating difficulties for manufacturers. Scientists thus have sought alternatives, including development of a human-recombinant gelatin for potential use in drug capsules and other medical applications.

To get around these difficulties, the scientists developed and demonstrated a method where human gelatin genes are inserted into a strain of yeast, which can produce gelatin with controllable features. The researchers are still testing the human-yeast gelatin to see how well it compares to other gelatins in terms of its viscosity and other attributes. Chen and colleagues suggest that their method could be scaled up to produce large amounts of gelatin for commercial use."

Well. That's not terrifying AT ALL. >.>

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Comment

I just hope they don't use my scary Uncle Fred's cells!
      This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
      Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Nope, won't catch me eating human gelatin if was the secrect ingredient in the fountain of youth.

Just sounds nasty in so many ways..
        I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Comment

Why human? Do we have some secret super gelatin gene?

Comment

Is anyone here a CSI fan? They have a human shaped gelatin form they call Jello-Man that they use to shoot bullets through and measure trajectories etc.
            I couldn't help thinking about Jello-Man when I read this. OK I'm a geek.

Comment

I've seen the Jell-O man they use on a show called deadliest warrior. same idea except the usually hit it with variious melee weapons.
              I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Comment

That is so, so wrong.
                Starting Stats: Current Stats: Goal Stats:
                Weight: 283lbs Weight: 271lbs Weight: 145lbs

We started as a work project, let's see what we become.

Comment

Soylent... Green... is... PEOPLE!!

Comment

That's actually pretty fascinating.

Comment

Soylent JELLO! I wonder if it would be considered Vegan? lol
                      Uncle Dutch Farms - my bloggy home.
                      My review of the Piteba oil expeller - handcranked expeller to make fresh nut oils, coconut oil, etc. Yeah, I love this thing.
                      My favorite kitchen tools - The Homesteader Kitchen

Comment

Can you say cannibal, boys and girls? Sure you can. (Compliments to Mr. Rogers)
                        Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

Working...
                        X