Inflammation - How Do You Know?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inflammation - How Do You Know?

So if all the bodily evils of the world stem from chronic inflammation, how do you know if you have chronic inflammation or any inflammation issues?

Do you get you c-reactive protein (CRP) checked?

Comment

Originally posted by DFH View Post
      Do you get you c-reactive protein (CRP) checked?
      Yes, most people when just starting to think about inflammation and if they have it immediately start thinking to themselves, I should get my c-reactive checked lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad1 View Post
        Yes, most people when just starting to think about inflammation and if they have it immediately start thinking to themselves, I should get my c-reactive checked lol
        Its no big mystery!

Could something as simple as a quick and easy blood test save your life?

Absolutely.

It is called a C-reactive protein test, and it measures the degree of HIDDEN inflammation in your body.
        Mark Hyman, MD: Is Your Body Burning Up With Hidden Inflammation?

(Some of the diet part is BS)

Comment

from my understanding ANA will also point to inflammation...
          The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
          What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
          SW 190lb
          Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
          25 Sep 2011 160lbs
          1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
          GW ~135lbs
          5'3"
          Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

I agree crp is the one of the best methods for checking inflammation.
            Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

If just (gasp) a common person reading this blog was asking a question like this, they would have no idea what c-reactive proteins, ANA etc., so what would be the usefulness of scientific terms without any explanation? When people throw out terms like that I wonder if they are really doing it to help another or just doing it to make themselves look like they really know a lot.

Comment

yeah, I could write a book every time someone asks a question...

If you scroll back up the page, notice that I asked were they getting it checked before going into it. Maybe they already knew. How would I know that?

It only takes 5 seconds to cut and paste a term you haven't seen before in google and start reading up on it.

CRP is no big secret. I have been getting mine checked and tracking it for a few years. Mine is .4.

Comment

I'm mystified by CRP, since when I was most ill from gluten and had several symptoms of inflammation including asthma, inflamed eustachian tubes and joint pain, my CRP tested in the normal range!

I think basically if you're eating sugar, refined carbs, veg oils and so on, you either have or will soon have, a problem with inflammation!
                  Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                  Harold Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Horsewoman View Post
                    I'm mystified by CRP, since when I was most ill from gluten and had several symptoms of inflammation including asthma, inflamed eustachian tubes and joint pain, my CRP tested in the normal range!

I think basically if you're eating sugar, refined carbs, veg oils and so on, you either have or will soon have, a problem with inflammation!
                    I would imagine, that considering 99% of Americans eat the SAD, the "normal" range indicates a pretty high level of inflammation... I haven't even looked at the range, how it's calculated, etc. but I'd want to be on the low end, all things considered. I mean, they base these numbers off of a jillion people and take the average and that's "normal" right? Or no? I'm actually very curious now!!!

Comment

I think you are right about "normal" levels being skewed by CW and averages.

typically-

Low risk = less than 1
                      Moderate risk = 1 to 3
                      High risk = above 3
                      above 10 = "high inflammation" something is up.

Comment

Originally posted by Horsewoman View Post

How true. A decade ago or so when I was a nurse in a small rural hospital, just about every one admitted had what we called "low grade fever", most likely due to inflammation although there were other possible causes. It wasn't just some people but ALL people.
                        Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Originally posted by periquin View Post
                          How true. A decade ago or so when I was a nurse in a small rural hospital, just about every one admitted had what we called "low grade fever", most likely due to inflammation although there were other possible causes. It wasn't just some people but ALL people.
                          Isn't it amazing how much of this is going on and CW medicine is like "duh, we don't know the cause.." Same issue with high fasting insulin and type 2 diabetes. The solution is trivial, and they don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by DFH View Post
                            Isn't it amazing how much of this is going on and CW medicine is like "duh, we don't know the cause.." Same issue with high fasting insulin and type 2 diabetes. The solution is trivial, and they don't see it.
                            Because they are TRAINED that the only way to "fix" or "cure" anything is with a drug or surgery. Stupid, short-sighted and annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by lolov View Post
                              I would imagine, that considering 99% of Americans eat the SAD, the "normal" range indicates a pretty high level of inflammation... I haven't even looked at the range, how it's calculated, etc. but I'd want to be on the low end, all things considered. I mean, they base these numbers off of a jillion people and take the average and that's "normal" right? Or no? I'm actually very curious now!!!
                              Good point, I've often wondered how relevant "normal" is in such a sick world. I suppose with some things they look for correlation with symptoms or bad outcomes as well.
                              Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                              Harold Whitman

Comment

Working...
                              X