My Leptin Reset - With Photos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week 1 Results

I just posted my first week results on my blog. It has my stats and charts.

For the first week, I was eating 50 grams of protein for breakfast. This week, I'm going to reduce my breakfast protein to 45 grams and see if I still experience no hunger. If I don't get hungry, I'll keep it at 45 grams for the rest of the week. If I start having hunger issues, I'll go back up to 50 grams.

This past week, I feel like I was having to stuff myself to get in 50 grams of protein. Eating just a little less would feel better.
    Last edited by RSL; 07-17-2011, 07:43 AM.
    Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

Click the banner below to visit my blog:

sigpic

Feb 2009 - 158 pounds - 43.6% body fat
    Aug 2013 - 138 pounds - 34.3% body fat
    So far, lost 19.8 pounds of body fat and gained 1.8 pounds of lean mass
    Goal - 136 pounds - 30% body fat
    Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Day 8 Results

I did not track my food on Sunday. I was tracking for breakfast and lunch, and then ended up going out for dinner and eating the topping off of pizza. It was so salty, and I gained over 2 pounds on the scale Monday morning. Sigh.

Awake - 5:45 am
      Breakfast - 6:10 am - 6:40 am
      5:05 hours fasting
      Lunch - 11:45 am - 12:20 pm
      5:40 hours fasting
      Dinner - 6:00 pm - 6:45 pm

The goal is to eat within 30 minutes of waking up, lunch 5-6 hours after breakfast and dinner 5-6 hours after lunch and 3-4 hours before bed.

Today - 12.125" neck, 31.75" waist, 39.75" hips - 35.1% body fat
      Yesterday - 12" neck, 31.25" waist, 39.5" hips - 34.4% body fat
      Neck increased 1/8", waist increased 1/2", hips increased 1/4"
      Body fat increased by 0.7%

Since starting 8 days ago
      Neck increased 1/8", waist decreased 1/8", hips decreased 1/8"
      Body fat decreased 0.2%

Today - 51.5 lbs. body fat - 95.1 lbs. lean mass - 146.6 lbs.
      Yesterday - 49.6 lbs. body fat - 94.6 lbs. lean mass - total 144.2 lbs.

Gained 1.9 lbs. of body fat and 0.5 lbs. of lean mass
      Gained 2.4 lbs. on the scale

Since starting 8 days ago
      Lost 0 lbs. of body fat and gained 0.6 lbs. of lean mass
      Gained 0.6 lbs. on the scale

Sunday, I went to bed at 1:00 am and read until 1:10 am. I was at my father 's house and did not get home until late. I slept through the night and woke up without an alarm at 9:00 am.
      Rebecca

Right click here to watch me lose 22.5 pounds of body fat and gain 5.5 pounds of muscle in only 5 months right before your eyes in this cool morphing video!

sigpic

Still need to lose 6.4 more pounds of body fat and gain 4.2 more pounds of lean mass

Comment

Day 9 Results

Click here to see my actual menu for day before yesterday:

2272 calories
        188.5g fat (74.7%)
        118.6g protein
        25.3g total carbs
        7.4g fiber
        18g net carbs

Awake - 9:00 am
        Breakfast - 9:10 am - 9:30 am
        3:30 hours fasting
        Lunch - 1:00 pm - 1:40 pm
        4:20 hours fasting

The goal is to eat within 30 minutes of waking up, lunch 5-6 hours after breakfast and dinner 5-6 hours after lunch and 3-4 hours before bed.

Yesterday - 12.125" neck, 32.375" waist, 39.75" hips - 35.9% body fat
        Day before Yesterday - 12.125" neck, 31.75" waist, 39.75" hips - 35.1% body fat
        Neck increased 0", waist increased 5/8", hips increased 0"
        Body fat increased by 0.8%

Since starting 9 days ago
        Neck increased 1/8", waist increased 1/2", hips increased 1/8"
        Body fat increased 0.6%

Yesterday - 52.5 lbs. body fat - 93.7 lbs. lean mass - 146.2 lbs.
        Day before Yesterday - 51.5 lbs. body fat - 95.1 lbs. lean mass - total 146.6 lbs.

Gained 1 lb. of body fat and lost 1.4 lbs. of lean mass
        Lost 0.4 lbs. on the scale

Since starting 9 days ago
        Gained 1 lb. of body fat and lost 0.8 lbs. of lean mass
        Gained 0.2 lbs. on the scale

Day before yesterday, I went to bed at 11:00 pm and read until 11:10 pm. I slept through the night and woke up with an alarm at 7:00 am.
        Last edited by RSL; 07-20-2011, 01:25 PM.
        Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Day 10 Results

I had my 45 grams of protein for breakfast (check!) and my normal lunch (check, check!) and I went swimming with my sisters and DID NOT EAT ANYTHING WHILE I WAS THERE (big check, check, check!)! They were eating chips of some kind and bing cherries, and I just said "no thanks" and did not feel tempted.

I ended up making dinner for us, two sisters and my dad at my house. We had grilled polish sausage (which I dipped in my homemade mayo mixed with mustard), roasted cauliflower and salad.

Long story short, I overate. grrrr. I am not weighing this morning, and I am going to try to stay off the scale and away from the tape measure until Sunday.

I still have such a hard time with food when I am around my family. I'm not sure why, but I am working on it.
          Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Hi RSL

It really does not sound like you overate by too much in you last meal unless there is apple pie and icecream that you are not telling us about.

Really admire your hard work tracking all your numbers. I may actually go out and buy a tape measure!

Food and family, or more appropriately when did food stop becoming a source of energy and became more about love and other emotional things?? Why are they called comfort foods? Why are there office feeders (the ones who bring cakes into the office)? I am not talking about a favourite meal or dessert that you can put into your 20%. There is the physical need for food, but there has been a transfer to an emotional need for food. When did this happen generally, last 150 years? I do not know. But it would seem most need is emotional (or maybe a physical addiction). I have to have to have it etc. Why do you think your family effects your eating, if it is not too personal?
            Life. Be in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Belforte View Post
              Hi RSL

It really does not sound like you overate by too much in you last meal unless there is apple pie and icecream that you are not telling us about.
              LOL! Nope, no pie and ice cream, but there were some pecans and a square of dark chocolate. 99% of what I overate was just plain, good, whole foods. I gain weight ridiculously easily and this is just another example of it.

Really admire your hard work tracking all your numbers. I may actually go out and buy a tape measure!
              Any day that I inspire someone to start measuring is a great day for me!

Food and family, or more appropriately when did food stop becoming a source of energy and became more about love and other emotional things?? Why are they called comfort foods? Why are there office feeders (the ones who bring cakes into the office)? I am not talking about a favourite meal or dessert that you can put into your 20%. There is the physical need for food, but there has been a transfer to an emotional need for food. When did this happen generally, last 150 years? I do not know. But it would seem most need is emotional (or maybe a physical addiction). I have to have to have it etc. Why do you think your family effects your eating, if it is not too personal?
              I guess it is just the standard "food is fun, food is comfort" thing that so many of us have. Also, being around people who are not restricting themselves in any way is just hard for me. I stop thinking that I eat the way I do because it is good for me, and start focusing on the things I should not eat, or even overeat.

Thanks for your comments!
              Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Day 11 Results

Click here to see my actual menu for yesterday.

1902 calories
                154.4g fat (73.1%)
                102.3g protein
                25.7g total carbs
                7.8g fiber
                17.9g net carbs

Awake - 7:00 am
                Breakfast - 7:30 am - 8:00 am
                5:45 hours fasting
                Lunch - 1:45 pm - 2:10 pm
                3:50 hours fasting
                Dinner - 6:00 pm - 6:30 pm

I did not weigh or measure this morning, and I plan to wait until Sunday to do those things.

Yesterday, I went to bed at 8:40 pm and read until 9:20 pm. I slept through the night and woke up without an alarm at 5:45 am and my feet hit the floor at 6:00 am.
                Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Day 12 Results

1950 calories
                  152.8g fat (70.5%)
                  118.2g protein
                  25.4g total carbs
                  6.5g fiber
                  18.9g net carbs

Feet on the floor - 6:00 am
                  Breakfast - 6:20 am - 6:40 am
                  5:20 hours fasting
                  Lunch - 12:00 pm - 12:30 pm
                  5:00 hours fasting
                  Dinner - 5:30 pm - 6:00 pm

I did not weigh or measure this morning, and I plan to wait until Sunday to do those things.

Yesterday, I went to bed at 8:40 pm, read until 9:10 pm and fell asleep at 9:30 pm. I woke up briefly twice in the night, woke up without an alarm at 5:45 am and my feet hit the floor at 6:00 am.
                  Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Are you now going to move to weekly weigh and measure? I think that may be a good idea, just because I think all those up and downs could drive you a little crazy (they would drive me crazy!). When you first lost weight (the youtube clip) did you weigh and measure every day?
                    Life. Be in it.

Comment

People always react with dismay when they see that I regularly weigh and measure.

Since it is not everyone, but only some that are dismayed, I can only assume that the ones that are dismayed are the same ones who hate to regularly weigh and measure themselves.

Normally, I weigh every morning and I weigh and measure every Sunday morning. If I am trying something new, I usually weigh and measure every day for a while to see how it's going. The last time I weighed and measured was five days ago. Unless I change my mind, I will do that once a week, on Sunday mornings.

During the time I was losing weight for the video, I was weighing every day and measuring once per week, on Sunday mornings.

People think it causes me stress to weigh and measure. What they probably don't know is that I do accounting for a living and I do spreadsheets as a hobby. There is nothing I like better than sitting down and creating spreadsheets with lots of charts. I find it fun and relaxing, but I'm guessing that you do not.

Also, I am mostly retired now, and I have nothing better to do each morning than to weigh, measure (when I do) and update my spreadsheets.

Two things happen when I stop tracking stuff: I miss the daily fun of it, and I gain weight, because tracking keeps me, well, on track!

I take daily fluctuations into account. They do not upset me. All that upsets me are upward trends, which I get a lot of, with all my messed up hormones. So you will see what I mean, here is my weight chart from my highest weight in February 2009 until the end of June 2011:

And here is my body fat chart from the same time period:

You can see why just getting on the scale is not enough. Some of those upward trends were during times I was lifting weights and reducing body fat.

My main concern is body fat, not scale weight. When this whole thing resolves and I hit my goal body fat of 25% and am able to maintain it for more than a minute, I hope to be able to stop all the tracking. Unless I miss it too much!
                      Last edited by RSL; 07-22-2011, 09:10 AM. Reason: typo
                      Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

I love your graphs, I am a teacher so at the moment, things are very quiet. I have no excuse, not to do it as well, maybe on a less daunting scale. I did look for a tape measure today in the market but no joy.

I used to jump on the scales every day and I think that is what most people do and find it a little depressing. But I think for women there is an added problem. We have a monthly hormonal cycle which I think for most would go, 2 - 2 1/2 weeks everything is ticking over and then you get to the week or 1 1/2 weeks before when good habits can can alter, there is water retention etc so particularly for women, there really is that feeling of two steps forward one step back, which would be exacerbated by any hormonal issues. Not just female, but thyroid, leptin etc. and I bet most women's CW diets are derailed during that first menstrual cycle after beginning. Then they give up, 'eat what they want' and then start again.

Tell me at the end of the graph for weight loss you go up and then down then up again and then really quickly lose a lot, because it really stands out on the graph. Could you put it down to anything?

I am seriously thinking of doing this leptin reset, I just have to stuff 6 eggs down me every morning, at the moment I really am over them. At the moment I do not eat or have a big glass of coconut milk.
                        Life. Be in it.

Comment

My weight does really fluctuate! There were times that it went up because my hormones were off. At other times, there were family get togethers, and it would take me weeks to take off the five pounds I gained. Twice, in February 2010 and 2011, I gained great amounts of weight because I was in Florida for a few weeks, and even though I ate on plan, I gained weight. I even bought water so the sodium would not get to me.

Two of the times I lost quickly was because I did the HCG diet and the 6-Week Cure For the Middle-Aged Middle. I was doing well on the 6WC, but halfway through, I was told that I needed my shoulder rebuilt surgically, and the stress was so great that my cortisol shot up and I gained all the weight back in just a couple of days.
                          Last edited by RSL; 07-22-2011, 10:59 AM. Reason: typo
                          Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Day 13 Results

2049 calories
                            167.6g fat (73.6%)
                            109.5g protein
                            25.6g total carbs
                            12g fiber
                            13.6g net carbs

Feet on the floor - 6:00 am
                            Breakfast - 6:15 am - 6:45 am
                            5:30 hours fasting
                            Lunch - 12:15 pm - 1:00 pm
                            4:30 hours fasting
                            Dinner - 5:30 pm - 6:00 pm

Yesterday, I went to bed at 9:00 pm and fell asleep at 9:45 pm. I woke up a few times, had trouble going back to sleep, woke up without an alarm at 5:45 am and my feet hit the floor at 6:05 am.

I'm not obsessing about food any more. I have my higher protein (45g) breakfast, and in the five hours between breakfast and lunch, I don't think about food until lunch time, when I eat because it is time to eat and not because I'm hungry at all.

In the five hours between lunch and dinner, I do not think about food or want food. Again, I eat because it is time to eat and not because I am hungry.

In the past, I have had an almost desperate attitude about food. When meal time comes, my appetite is so high that no matter what I eat, I want more. Not necessarily bad food, but just more of the good stuff.

Now, over the past few days, I am noticing that when meal time comes, I am not frantic, and even though I know that I am going to eat a normal amount, or even less than I usually do, it's okay with me.

Last night, for example, I had 1.5 thin pork chops (4 oz. cooked weight) with butter and some raw cauliflower mixed with mayo, lime juice and avocado. It was not a big meal, and when I finished eating, I was satisfied. I was not feeling deprived because it was a smaller meal than I am used to.

Maybe my appetite is normalizing...
                            Last edited by RSL; 07-23-2011, 05:20 AM.
                            Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Day 14 Results

2033 calories
                              164.3g fat (72.8%)
                              115.2g protein
                              23.2g total carbs
                              10.3g fiber
                              12.9g net carbs

Feet on the floor - 6:05 am
                              Breakfast - 6:15 am - 6:45 am
                              5:10 hours fasting
                              Lunch - 12:00 pm - 12:30 pm
                              5:30 hours fasting

I weighed and measured this morning and I will post the results here on this thread in a few minutes.

Yesterday, I went to bed at 8:55 pm, read until 9:00 pm and fell asleep at 9:45 pm. I woke up two or three times in the night, woke up without an alarm at 5:45 am and my feet hit the floor at 6:00 am.
                              Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Week 2 Results

I just posted my second week results on my blog. It has my stats and charts.

Obviously, I am not happy with these results. Of course, I am trying to figure it all out and see if there is something I am doing wrong.

First of all, I went into this knowing that I might not lose weight right away, but I really did not expect to gain this much.

One of the things I read is this: If a person is leptin sensitive, that person will have a normal appetite, regulated by his/her energy needs, but even if they eat more than they "need" one day, the body will deal with the extra food by burning it off without storing it as fat. But if a person is leptin resistant, that person will not have a normal appetite, and they will constantly be driven to eat more than they need, and the body will deal with the extra food by storing it as fat.

So where does that leave me? In the past several days, I have noticed that my appetite is decreasing, and I'm not thinking about food in between meals. But I am still eating an average of 2041 calories per day, which must just be plain too much food for my small, female self.

So here is what I am going to do in this next week: I'm going to drop my breakfast protein grams down to 40 - the first week it was 50 and the second week it was 45. I will pay attention to make sure that I do not start feeling hungry again in between meals and after dinner, just eating 40 grams of protein.

The other thing is that I will cut down fat around 25 grams and protein down just a couple of grams, so my day will look more like this:

1800 calories
                                140g fat (70%)
                                110g protein
                                25g total carbs

I'm not happy about this, because it means more tracking, and not just eating what feels right. For me, just eating what feels right is too much food. My appetite is still too big for my size. I guess I'll find out when I weigh in next week if this has been helpful or not.
                                Rebecca

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X