Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many years will it take for our bodies to adjust to grain consumption?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many years will it take for our bodies to adjust to grain consumption?

I'm just wondering how long you think it would take for our bodies to adjust whereby grains become the healthiest option? Will it every happen? It would surely be more sustainable although having said that by that stage the oil would have run out resulting in a substantially smaller population so maybe a mute point.

I'll never know.

Live long. Drop dead.

Last edited by Voyageur; 07-13-2011, 04:19 AM.
    There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

Comment

Never. Humans are going to be selected out for another species. I'm going with virus'.

Comment

Unless there's some sort of pressure actively selecting for it, a particular trait (in this case, running on grains) isn't going to be any more or less prevalent in a population. For humans in particular, it takes hundreds of thousands of years for any significant evolutionary change to occur, because of the length of our generations. To answer your question, it will take a very long time, if it happens at all.

Comment

It can't happen. In the modern world, there is no 'natural selection' anymore. People get sick, and they don't need to rely solely on their immune system; we've got doctors and BigParma. People want food, and they don't need to be agile or intelligent to go track down some prey; they have grocery stores. People want safety, and they don't need to be strong or fit to fend for themselves; we lock up or separate ourselves from any dangers. There's no natural selection in most parts of the world because the strong and the weak survive. And without natural selection, there is no evolution. Thus, our bodies would never evolve to fit a grain-based diet even if the human race existed for another hundred thousand years.

Originally posted by pyro13g View Post
          Never. Humans are going to be selected out for another species. I'm going with virus'.
          Virus? Ha! The [radical] Muslims are going to going to blow us all up before them.
          Last edited by Aly; 07-13-2011, 07:24 AM.

Comment

I'm going to strongly advocate that neither of my children have children of their own because the world is going to hell in a handbasket and I don't see it getting any better from here on out.

Better to let our species die out and for mother nature to do her best.
            Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
            Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
            CW: 146.8 lbs
            GW 140 lbs
            A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

I don't see it happening. Evolution works slowly and we have already tampered with natural selection, so its not like a grain-tolerant gene will prevail over time.

Comment

Also, it's not like it's a minor change. This would require hundreds of complex changes, perhaps of the gut wall to prevent absorption of anti-nutrients, of the immune system to react differently to gluten, of the liver and cardiovascular system to react differently to high blood glucose, etc., all while maintaining a gut wall that absorbs everything it currently does, an immune system that reacts to pathogens, etc. We've probably ended up with the genes we have because they already are the best possible balance of all those things.
                “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
                Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                  I'm going to strongly advocate that neither of my children have children of their own because the world is going to hell in a handbasket and I don't see it getting any better from here on out.

I'm doing that already with my kids.
                  Georgette

Comment

Originally posted by Pezerinno View Post
                    I'm just wondering how long you think it would take for our bodies to adjust whereby grains become the healthiest option? Will it every happen?
                    Won't happen because the human gut simply isn't long enough or complex enough to break them down. From your teeth down you're "built for" a meat-based diet.

What many cultures do is pre-process cereals before cooking them by lactic-fermenting them. What they're essentially doing there is imitating in a container what happens in the stomach/s of a herbivore.

Both points are made by those two ladies at the WAPF here:

Caveman Cuisine

So there you go: to eat the grain "as is" and not get sick (and to use it without penalty as the sole item of diet) almost everything about you would have to change from your teeth to your stomach. The changes would be so vast that, if (I think per impossible) they did take place, the resulting being would be so different from us as hardly to be recognizably human anyway.

Could you call a being with a gut perhaps five times as long—and with, probably, a correspondingly smaller brain—"adapted"? I think no, he'd be a radically different being.
                    Last edited by Lewis; 07-13-2011, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Like others said unless there is a pressure to be able to consume grain perfectly, it will never really happen. I actually believe that if we didn't have hospitals and medicine that help deal with issues as a result of eating, we would have already adapted to it.

Comment

We have the technology, we can rebuild him
                        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post

While this isn't really a reason I'm not having kids, it is a side benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by kurite View Post
                            I actually believe that if we didn't have hospitals and medicine that help deal with issues as a result of eating, we would have already adapted to it.
                            Nope. Unless Darwinistically, we evolve into something akin to a ruminant (think sheep), this human body is not going to "adapt" to grains. That's why I'm here trying to get back to what my body is meant to eat.
                            Positively Radical — Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

If cattle no longer had access to an appropriate diet they would not evolve, they would die out. Humans can survive on grains, not optimally of course, so we would muddle along. In terms of evolution we are at the end of a branch, our adaptations will be technological from here on out.
                              Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Working...
                              X