Help with white rice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with white rice

I want to eat white rice as part of my carb cycling. What kind of white rice am I looking for? What should I stay away from? What is the best way to prepare it? I'm sure it's simple as heck, but I'm a rice rookie.

Thanks,

-Voyageur

There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

Ahh, you beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing.

But I want to go one step further...how to you get a good fluffy rice rather than the instant boiled junk?
    My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Comment

Instant rice with butter seems plenty fluffy to me :P.
      Height: 6'1"
      Primal start date: July 1st 2011
      Start Weight: 275
      Current Weight: 248
      Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
      Body Fat 25.4%
      Fat Mass 63.721
      Fat Free Mass 74.6%
      Fat Free Mass 187.087
      Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
      Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
        Ahh, you beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing.

But I want to go one step further...how to you get a good fluffy rice rather than the instant boiled junk?
        The rule of thumb is 1-2-3. 1 cup of raw rice + 2 cups of water/stock = 3 cups of cooked rice.

Bring the rice and water to a boil, cover, and simmer. Once you see "potholes", it's time to stir and probably almost done. Covering it with a lid is essential as that allows it to steam all throughout instead of just catching heat from the bottom. Use a liberal amount of salt so it soaks into the rice while cooking and imparts flavor.
        “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

More information please.... Do you want "instant rice" that doesn't stick together (easiest) or do you want "sticky" rice (harder).

Instant is well out of a box boil it and have at it. Some "non-sticky" rice like Jasmine is good also... better than instant. it is long grain.

Sticky... if you are going to do it right then get a rice cooker! Go to your local Korean resturant and ask the owner if they will give you a quick lesson.

For sticky rice get the short grain. Soak it in water for at least an hour before cooking, prefer most of the day, cover with water. you can do this in the pan that comes with the rice cooker or in the pan you will be cooking on the stove.
          When ready make sure the water just covers the rice close the lid and lett it cook. The amount of water will vary depending on how long it has soaked.
          If you use a pot you can soak for an hour and then place you hand(palm down) on top if the rice and have the water just cover your fingers. Cook on high until boiling then reduce to low and cover for about 30 minutes... again... time and water make all the difference. A crispy bottom is preffered by some... makes a great snack!
          Bottom line... just start doing it!

That is about all I can add.
          I high recommend a rice cooker!

good Luck!
          Living the dream, inside a myth

Comment

I've read jasmine and sushi rice are the best types. Sushi rice is much stickier (short grain).

Rice cookers are cheap. $20 for the lid versions (good), about $40 for sealed (great). Aroma makes several good models. Check on Amazon. No need to drop $100+ for a Zojirushi.

Comment

Microwave rice - no really, check it out:

GoGo Rice White Rice Bowl

I buy a different brand at my local Korean market - when my husband went Atkins and didn't want to eat rice anymore, I found that these microwavable rice bowls were perfect for cooking for one. Yes, it's cheaper to make your own - if you are going to eat rice regularly, buy a small rice cooker - they're cheap (under $20 for a 3-cup size) and foolproof. And you can steam other stuff in it too.
              Positively Radical — Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

I second the rice cooker. Its foolproof. I am coming back to rice as a way to get post-workout glucose into my body without added fructose, so I get to dust off the ol' rice cooker again!

Comment

Originally posted by RezH View Post
                  I've read jasmine and sushi rice are the best types. Sushi rice is much stickier (short grain).

Rice cookers are cheap. $20 for the lid versions (good), about $40 for sealed (great). Aroma makes several good models. Check on Amazon. No need to drop $100+ for a Zojirushi.
                  I second the Jasmine rice, it has a wonderful aroma and ever slight flavor to it (which is what you want in rice, subtle flavor at best - flavor is something you either add to rice or soak up off the tongue with rice...)

Comment

I say basmati. No particular reason other than I love the flavor.

Comment

This all depends what you want. The best rice is probably jasmine or basmati, but that stuff's expensive. This is what I buy:

Goya Products

Canilla Brand Rice
                      A favorite for generations and a staple in the Hispanic diet, Canilla Extra Long Grain is known for its quality and its role as a “must-have” for many classic meals.

It's half the price of the Asian alternatives, and it's not starchy or pasty mush like some instant rice.

It's taken me awhile to figure out how to cook rice without screwing it up. The best way I've found is to completely disregard the packaging and make it just like you make pasta. Bring a large pot full of water to a boil. Add your rice, Boil for 6-7 minutes or until done. Drain in a colander, rinse off all the starch with cold water. Done.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I have this rice cooker, it's small and works great, and it's cheap. I recommend basmati or jasmine too. I used to make this recipe, ages ago, and I'm thinking I need to try it again soon. Mmmm, coconut milk & turmeric
                        I've added a little rice back into my diet and it's made a huge difference, energy-wise.
                        My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

Thanks all. Like voyager, I'm looking to refeed with some rice. I find that the weight comes off easier with a little extra carbos in my diet.
                          My weak attempt at a journal:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35809.html

M/30y/190#

Comment

I've never been a fan of rice cookers, prefer a heavy pot with tight fitting lid. Sticky rice only and the finger method for measuring water, crazy as it sounds it comes out perfect every time.

Drizzle of Sunshine: How to cook rice....the finger method
                            http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Rice cookers just clutter the kitchen. 1 cup rice + 2 cups of water. 2 cups rice to 3.5 cups water if you're cooking for the tribe. Cover, bring to boil then reduce heat to minimum. Take off heat after 15min and allow to stand for a few minutes then fluff it up. Works with short and long grain rices
                              Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Working...
                              X