Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I Gain Weight With the Paleo Diet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I Gain Weight With the Paleo Diet?

Hello, everyone!

Is there a definitive, nuts-and-bolts guide to gaining weight/muscle mass on the Paleo Diet? I'm basically looking for something that tells you exactly what to eat, when to eat, how often, what fitness routines I have to do and how much I need to train (is the schedule in the Primal Blueprint Fitness ebook enough?) in order to sculpt my body and abs nicely.

I've always been on the skinny side, with a very fast metabolism no mater what I eat (ectomorph body type I think). I've reviewed this issue recently, and I decided I want to make my presence a little bigger and convincing...

So what are your recommendations/tips?

Thank you!

All the food in the world may not help your pre-disposition to being skinny but my suggestion would be meat + starches.

Forget about the Paleo diet, move into the nearest Puertorican neighborhood and ask a family to sponsor your weight-gain pursuits. Ok, in all seriousness: most folks looking to lose weight here usually limit their consumption of carbs and starches such as fruits, potatoes/all tubers, white rice (a grain, sure, but the harmless one of all and "accepted" by most primal/paleos) etc, so you need to do the exact opposite.

You may want to carb cycle, in the (odd) chance that you start gaining unwanted body fat. A few days of meat and buttery mashed potatoes (aka heaven on earth) balanced out with a few days of meat and non-starchy vegs. You should have more higher carb days though.

Basically, eat as often as you want, keep the sources primal and you should gain muscle with not a whole lot of body fat though some body fat gain is to be expected. Lifting style is up to you, but I'd recommend higher rep ranges to induce more sarcoplasmic muscle development for puffier muscles, so to speak.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I would like to hear from anyone that has success with this too. A friend at work is female, 22, smokin hot, and thinks she is too thin. I think she eats more than me, and nothing works.

Comment

Fastest way to gain good weight is Squats and Milk, subbing starches and meat for milk if desired.
        Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
          Fastest way to gain good weight is Squats and Milk, subbing starches and meat for milk if desired.
          Do you have a source where real hard-gainers had success with this? I'm not calling you out, just asking. I think Strong Lifts may have had a success story or two but if I remember right the subjects were young which changes things a bit.
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
            Do you have a source where real hard-gainers had success with this? I'm not calling you out, just asking. I think Strong Lifts may have had a success story or two but if I remember right the subjects were young which changes things a bit.
            I've had several clients do it great success from 17-mid 40's.
            Lifting Journal

Comment

Where does such weight get gained? What is the mechanism that makes this so much better? Curious as someone who wants to gain more weight as lean muscle mass...

Comment

Generally a mix muscle and fat, which most hard-gainers need.
                Lifting Journal

Comment

Generally a mix muscle and fat, which most hard-gainers need.
                  I understood that, but *where* is it gained? I hear the word "squats" so is it in the upper legs? or does it build in several places?

Comment

Evenly through the entire body.
                    Lifting Journal

Comment

Would kettlebells be just as good as squats then?

Comment

No.
                        Lifting Journal

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everybody!

I've been wondering: as an ectomorph (at about 117 lbs - 53kg), after I gain the desired weight and muscle, can I take it easier with the food, or do I have to stuff myself forever to maintain my weight? I sure hope not...

Comment

Watch the 21convention lecture by Doug McGuff on YouTube regarding the paleo diet and other cool shit. He basically goes into the difference between an anabolic state and a catabolic state, and how to stimulate muscle growth. And throws in some nice biochemistry too... I think it might help. Basically you want to stimulate your body into an adaptive anabolic state (strength training until fatigue) and give your body enough rest so it can adapt. Then, while you rest, increase carb intake (tubers, fruit) and protein. When you reach your desired muscle mass, you can decrease the carb intake and you will revert to homeostasis.
                            Last edited by joelwlcx; 07-17-2011, 07:06 PM.
                            "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

Comment

Thanks for sending me to that awesome video, joelwlcx!

Comment

Working...
                              X