how do you know when YOU are hungry?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you know when YOU are hungry?

curious how everyone else knows they are hungry?

before going primal my hunger signal was kind of a belly ache, sort of like it literally felt empty or something but now it seems i have that same feeling in my stomach but then i eat and its still there so i think maybe that feeling wasnt hunger afterall (would maybe explain why i thought i was always hungry)

currently i am doing a leptin reset and I eat a fairly large breakfast high in protein and then a smaller lunch and diner with no snacking at any time. i find that while i have that feeling in my stomach come lunch and dinner time i just dont eat as much anymore and get the full feeling much sooner then normal. i actually can tell now when i have eaten too much especially at dinner. i also notice drinking a lot of water during the day makes that feeling go away as well

so what is that feeling? is it hunger? if so why am i not able to eat much at lunch/dinner? why does it not go away after eating?

hell maybe the feeling is a normal thing that i have always covered up by overeating for all i know lol
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

When I get that feeling in my gut and I know it isn't near time to eat, I'll do one of 2 things. I either drink really cold water and if that doesn't help, I eat a spoonfull of coconut oil. I don't get that feeling too often but that's how I combat it. If you just started the leptin reset, it'll take you a few more weeks for that hollow feeling to go away.
    Georgette

Comment

hey georgette i never got an answer about the coconut oil i am using whether it is refined or unrefined

heres the stuff i have

LouAna Coconut Oil

any idea?
      Primal Chaos
      37yo 6'5"
      current 338lbs 49" waist
      goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

There's not much I can trust. The most likely to be right is a headache combined with a rising feeling of agitation and anger. I generally check with a glucose monitor to see if I really need to eat.
        “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
        Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Comment

If you drink water and it goes away, it might be thirst. I read somewhere, that most people mistake hunger signals for thirst signals.

Comment

Originally posted by croí View Post
            If you drink water and it goes away, it might be thirst. I read somewhere, that most people mistake hunger signals for thirst signals.
            well now that is very interesting. i had not even considered that
            Primal Chaos
            37yo 6'5"
            current 338lbs 49" waist
            goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post
              hey georgette i never got an answer about the coconut oil i am using whether it is refined or unrefined

heres the stuff i have

LouAna Coconut Oil

any idea?
              No clue. If it doesn't taste like coconut, then it more than likely is refined.
              Georgette

Comment

yeah no taste or smell of coconut at all. just tastes like oil
                Primal Chaos
                37yo 6'5"
                current 338lbs 49" waist
                goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

This is where eating twice a day comes super handy. I mostly get hungry around both meal times (thank you, ghrelin!) and if I'm hungry outside of that it's probably not anything that requires immediate assistance.

I'm not in the habit of skipping meals for any amount over 24 hours (or even nearing that, in all honesty) so when I'm hungry, 90% of the time it's meal time and I'm actually hungry, as opposed to thirsty or something like that.
                  I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gager View Post

heres the stuff i have

LouAna Coconut Oil

any idea?
                    That isnt what you want

what you want is here Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 15-Ounce Tubs (Pack of 2): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
                    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

LouAna is refined. I bought it before then realized that was NOT what I wanted, lol. Try Nutiva - you can get a big gallon on Amazon

Comment

Concerning LouAna coconut oil, I found this on a Google search:
                        Original link: Coconut Oil? - Dee's Support Circle Forum

If the brand name of your coconut oil is LouAna, then it is not a high quality coconut oil. One of my students found the LouAna coconut oil at Walmart last year and asked me to check it out. I wrote to the company and waited an awfully long time for them to reply back to me. I am including mine and their correspondence below for your review. I hope this answers your question:

Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 12:34:15 -0700

I recently noticed a container of your coconut oil at a Wal-mart store in Arizona. Is the coconut oil that you manufacture a high quality, extra-virgin, unrefined product? Or is it refined? Most coconut oils that I have purchased in the past are clearly labeled to indicate whether it is refined or unrefined. Yours is quite a bit less expensive, so am I to assume the oil is refined? Your package only says that it is "all-natural", which I have found to be a sometimes misleading statement on food products.

I appreciate any information you can give me.

Dee McCaffrey, CDC

Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 10:20 AM

To: Dee McCaffrey

Subject: Re: Coconut Oil

Hello Dee,

First let us apologize for the delayed response. We experienced server and staffing problems which have now been resolved. We are closely monitoring all emails. Our LouAna Coconut Oil is a refined oil. It is not cold pressed, nor a virgin oil. It is not hydrogenated, not contains any trans fatty acids or cholesterol. Attached is more information on our oil. Thank you for your inquiry and patience.

LouAna Coconut Oil: Ideal for baking, sautéing, and stir-frying, due to its excellent flavor and aroma. Coconut oil contains no trans fat and no cholesterol.

v Coconut Oil

o Lou Ana Coconut Oil is

o refined, bleached and deodorized.

o Lou Ana Coconut Oil is not hydrogenated.

o Lou Ana Coconut Oil does not contain any trans fatty acids nor cholesterol.

o Lou Ana Coconut Oil is not cold pressed or a virgin oil.

o Lou Ana Coconut Oil has a 15 month shelf life. Please store in a cool, dark place.

o Lou Ana Coconut Oil us a great substitute for butter, margarine or cooking oils to sauté or pan fry foods

o Yes, the same as any vegetable oil. However, even though coconut oil is solid at room temperature, it is not a shortening

v All of Ventura’s coconut oil is imported as crude oil. It is fully processed and packaged in Louisiana. No pesticides or other residues are found due to deodorizing, bleaching and refining.

v Coconut oil contains no trans fat. It is not hydrogenated. It does contain a much higher level of saturated fat, as compared to typical retail vegetable oils.

v Coconut oil has been used for many years, in the popcorn industry, because of the excellent flavor and aroma. We are now seeing coconut uses branch out into other areas of home use such as baking, sautéing, stir frying, and margarine substitutes.

NUTRITIONAL FACTS

Serving Size 1 Tbsp (14g)

Amount Per Serving

Calories 120 Calories from Fat 120

%Daily Value*

Total Fat 14g 22%

Saturated Fat 12g 60%

Trans Fat 0g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g

Monounsaturated Fat 1g

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 0mg 0%

Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%

Protein 0g

Not a significant source of dietary fiber, sugars, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron.

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Coconut Oil and other LouAna oils:

372 highest degrees to fry

440 degrees smoke point

550 degrees flash point

Regarding when you know you're hungry, I've also asked the same question in the past. Some days I get anxious, cranky if I fast for more than 20 hours or so, but I still don't have the traditional hunger signals (borborygmus, etc). I think that is my signal to eat.

Comment

for me, when my stomach growls, that's hunger. that empty feeling is not, for me. i just don't worry about them empty feeling, i drink water or caffeine free tea. great question! hunger is such a weird concept. it's so different for everyone so i look forward to reading some of the replies you get.
                          Last edited by JoPaleo; 07-11-2011, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                            This is where eating twice a day comes super handy. I mostly get hungry around both meal times (thank you, ghrelin!) and if I'm hungry outside of that it's probably not anything that requires immediate assistance.

I'm not in the habit of skipping meals for any amount over 24 hours (or even nearing that, in all honesty) so when I'm hungry, 90% of the time it's meal time and I'm actually hungry, as opposed to thirsty or something like that.
                            +1

Eating 2 meals a day has solved this issue. I get hungry at the exact same time every day. I get hungry at 11am and 7pm. I then eat at 12pm and 8pm, respectively. My 12pm meal is usually around 600-900 calories. My 8pm meal is anywhere from 1,000-1,500 calories. The small meal holds me for 8 hours, the large meal holds me for 16. I don't snack. Ever. If for some reason, I get an early craving, I chug a pint or two of water and it goes away.
                            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

thanks yodiewan for the info on the louann oil. looks like im gonna have to go to some different grocery stores to see if i can find the good stuff otherwise ill order some online
                              Primal Chaos
                              37yo 6'5"
                              current 338lbs 49" waist
                              goal 240lbs 35" waist

Comment

Working...
                              X