Ugh. I've been fighting wave after wave of annoying canker sores lately, after more-or-less eliminating them from my life for a whole year by going primal/paleo.
I'm curious if anyone else on these boards struggles with them and has had any success treating them? Here's what I've tried to date:
1. SLS-Free toothpaste (Squigle) - Honestly, I'm not sure this has ever made a difference for me, but many people swear by it. I keep using it because it's a decent toothpaste, and why add an unnecessary trigger?
2. L-Lysine. Again, not sure if it makes much difference. Seems like sometimes taking a dose right when I feel one coming on has helped, but other times not.
3. Folic Acid. Same as above.
4. Saltwater rinse/gargle. Same as above.
5. Eating primal/paleo foods (lots of meat & fat w/limited carbs (30-150g/day)from veggies, berries, and nuts - limited dairy in the form of kefir). This WOE is the only thing that has ever made a noticeable difference, taking me from outbreaks of 5-10 sores at a time, every few weeks to 1 at a time, often several months apart.
The only known food/drink trigger I've been able to isolate is alcohol. Over-consuming wine or liquor usually leads to one or two sores. Beer is even worse.
I'm pretty sure stress and sleep deprivation as likely triggers, but I still wonder if there's not some underlying nutrient deficiency or autoimmune disorder.
I went through a battery of blood tests a few years ago that suggested autoimmune issues (positive ANA, high complements, among others), but no diagnosis was ever given since I don't have any other symptoms. That's what eventually led me to paleo/primal WOE, since the rheumatologists and immunologists didn't really have any answers for me.