No announcement yet.

Salt, or specifically, sodium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure. It's in any grocery store with the salt.

Comment

Same as JustinKN, digestive issues were a biggie. Added salt causes stomach aches and diarrhea (which should be no surprises as salt moves moisture in the body). Also, causes calf cramps at night.

As mentioned, you notice these things a lot more if you go without for a while and then try to have some...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
      Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
      Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

I am sparing with the salt, and prefer to add garlic to everything! lol

Seriously though, I think there are so many other ways to up the flavor in your food. And as a pp said, a pinch in your pot of stew/soup is going to go a long way toward creating depth of flavor.

Sometimes I crave salt, to the point where I want to sprinkle some on a plate and lick it up. I refrain, and eat some bacon or ham instead, but I wonder what THAT's all about!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
        -John Lennon

Comment

If you crave it maybe you need it?

Not saying that you've got it but one of the symptoms for Addison's disease is intense salt cravings plus all the rest of the symptoms.

Comment

lil_earthmomm - I hear you. When I was a kid I actually used to steal the salt pot and just eat it directly. Most kids would go for sugar, but not me...I went for the salt. I'm still a bit of a salt-lover today, but I've found a more balanced diet has gotten rid of most of the cravings and I rarely use it anymore. I do think that if you crave it, there could be some mineral deficiency you need in it. Not everyone aborbs all minerals equally from all foods.

Comment

Working...
            X