Eating out while doing Whole30

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating out while doing Whole30

We started Whole30 (no dairy, no grains, no legumes, no alcohol, nothing but veggies, fruits, and meats) and we FINALLY have a babysitter for this weekend. Its been two months since hubby and I have had any time just the two of us (unless you count the half-passed out phase that occurs once kiddo is finally tucked away at night, and I don't) we're planning on seeing a movie and doing some shopping.

We are kinda hoping to go out to eat but we're stuck on where a 'safe' place would be. Seems like every place either marinates the meats in a sugar/oil sauce or does...something...not acceptable. Any suggestions? Might just pack a picnic or wait till we get back home but maybe there's something you guys know about I haven't considered and I'd love not to cook/clean for a night.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

This is what 80/20 is for, right?

Comment

Just go for the Steak / Mixed Grill / Fish and salad or veg option.

I wouldn't worry about anything that you can't really see as it won't be there in big enough amounts to make a major difference once in a blue moon - just have fun and enjoy yourselves.
      1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
      Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

Comment

We go to Outback and get the Special sirloin with sweet potato and either asparagus, green beans, or broccoli. In fact, we went last night.

Comment

And the sweet potato has no sugary glaze on it?
          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by nolineon View Post
            This is what 80/20 is for, right?
            The Whole30 is not about 80/20
            It's 30 days of 100% adherance to the plan.

As Solldara said, usually you can get a non-marinated steak and get a salad with olive oil or balsamic vinegar as the dressing.

Comment

I miss 80/20 but Whole30 was the only way to get the hubs to go without dairy and booze for a set time. We tried 80/20 but it lasted 3 days before he started eating pounds of cheese and arguing it was his 20. Normally I don't care what he eats but he's really wanting to lose weight and when you eat half a pound of cheese a day...well, he couldn't figure out why the pounds weren't coming off so I gently suggested Whole30...then said I was going on it and if wanted to join fine, but he had to stick with it 30 days. We're on Day 6 and doing great, I don't want to mess it up, but at the same time I'd like a night out.

What I've found is:

KFC grilled chicken is seasoned with salt and wheat/soy powder
              Outback (if you ask) will cook food in pans that have not used dairy products. However, they don't say what they marinate their steaks in
              Chilis has a list of allergy items that we could use to special order. The list is a pain to read though
              Red Lobster-everything is covered in butter
              Carl's Jr low carb burger with no sauces or cheeses fits perfectly (and they have a list of ingrediants)

I didn't bother looking at pasta, ethnic, or pub-food type restaurants. And if your wondering why I even bothered looking at fast food places, its cause they tend to have ingredient and nutritional lists. Makes it easier to check out.
              Last edited by Kaylee99; 07-08-2011, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Not sure what your budget looks like, but most decent steakhouses don't use a ton of marinades or seasonings on their steaks. A nice rib-eye and some mixed vegetables would work, no?

Comment

I would think so but (can't remember where I read/heard this) I'd heard that even the dry rubs they use have sugar in them. Or they use soy oil to cook with. I could just be getting a little too crazy-detailed though.

Comment

Working...
                  X