Pears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pears

So I'm digging my berries and all, but are there other fruits I can have to keep it varied? I've heard of occasional apples, but I love pears too, can I have pears?

Sure why not?
    If you're trying to drop weight I wouldn't got hogwild, but a couple pears a week is fine. I love pears. This time of year provides the only three weeks or so I can get decent fruit the whole year, so I actually am going hogwild.

Comment

Absolutely. It's great with fresh cheeses.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Pears are delicious. One of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
          Sure why not?
          If you're trying to drop weight I wouldn't got hogwild, but a couple pears a week is fine. I love pears. This time of year provides the only three weeks or so I can get decent fruit the whole year, so I actually am going hogwild.
          well there is a market that sells locally grown fruits nearby, and im planning on hitting them up and bagging then freezing them so i can have them in the winter time too. especially things in season like strawberries, eat them almost daily. at least thats how i make the fruit stretch when its out of season. but thanks, glad to hear i dont have to leave one of my favorite fruits out.

Comment

I know that apples do not freeze, they turn brown and soft after thawing (well, it's actually considered a treat back in the old country, but nothing like a fresh apple). I made freezer pear jam before though. So, maybe pears freeze better. I know that plums and soir cherries, and all the berries freeze well.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
              I know that apples do not freeze, they turn brown and soft after thawing (well, it's actually considered a treat back in the old country, but nothing like a fresh apple). I made freezer pear jam before though. So, maybe pears freeze better. I know that plums and soir cherries, and all the berries freeze well.
              i only freeze berries, they freeze well. i wouldnt try pears though. i also just freeze fresh meat and homemade sauce and stock.

Comment

I made a quick search on the internet, and the way they freeze pears is with lemon juice and sugar. You can try a trial batch with lemon juice alone, but I am thinking sugar helps preservation. Maybe pears can be canned au juice.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                  I made a quick search on the internet, and the way they freeze pears is with lemon juice and sugar. You can try a trial batch with lemon juice alone, but I am thinking sugar helps preservation. Maybe pears can be canned au juice.
                  that wouldnt be too bad, something id have to try for sure.

Comment

I like to slice up equal amounts of pear and apple, then saute them in butter, cinammon and a little bit of chopped nuts.
                    Durp.

Comment

You know, canning pears is pretty easy and you can even just use a big ol stockpot if you don't have a water bath canner. Most recipes call for sugar added to the water but I've successfully canned pears and peaches both in just plain water. They come out delicious and light tasting and the liquid is also delicious and light tasting. Pears are one of the fruits that don't change much when canned, in my opinion - a canned pear without sugar tastes very similar to a fresh pear that's perfectly ripe.
                      Uncle Dutch Farms - my bloggy home.
                      My review of the Piteba oil expeller - handcranked expeller to make fresh nut oils, coconut oil, etc. Yeah, I love this thing.
                      My favorite kitchen tools - The Homesteader Kitchen

Comment

I haven't had appear since I started primal. Might have one as a treat!

Let me tell you one of my favourite pear secrets. I have 1 pear and 1 avocado blended together. It sounds like it wouldn't work, but it makes a delicious creamy pudding. Mmmmm
                        My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                          I like to slice up equal amounts of pear and apple, then saute them in butter, cinammon and a little bit of chopped nuts.
                          This sounds great! Thanks for the idea!

For those that don't have issues w/dairy, a ripe pear and some blue cheese is a real treat also.

Comment

Working...
                          X