No announcement yet.

Moon Cycling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for posting this, PaleoMom... you were originally responding my post on the leptin thread and mentioned this. I am very interested. This month is a really bad one for me... magnified PMS symptoms. I am willing to try anything natural. I appreciate your information and will let you know how it goes.

There's an app for that... it's called "LunaPeriod" for those of you with iPhones or iPad

Comment

Oh my gosh, I am absolutely blow away by this! I was a skeptic at first (as seen in an earlier post) but I've been doing the light portion this for probably a little over two weeks and last night, after I went to sleep with a nightlight on, I got my period. Now I know that the light portion works, now I'm still skeptical on whether the "moon" portion of this works. My period is about the same flow as usual, but since it just started, I can't tell if it's lighter. Usually I get a light flow, then a heavy flow, then it slowly stops over the course of 3-4 days. Right now, I have a moderately light flow. I'll update you guys once its been long enough to tell.

Comment

I think my body naturally does this, so I don't think I have to work at it. I just never really thought about it that way before. I did have terrible cramps before I started primal, but my last period was not bad at all.

I will say that I taught preschool for 5 years, and it was REAL obvious when the full moon was coming. The kids (and many times the parents) just went crazy. They were grouchy, argumentative, and the "me"s got much worse....and the parents would come in with terrible moods and take it out on us.

Comment

Originally posted by Aly View Post
          Oh my gosh, I am absolutely blow away by this! I was a skeptic at first (as seen in an earlier post) but I've been doing the light portion this for probably a little over two weeks and last night, after I went to sleep with a nightlight on, I got my period. Now I know that the light portion works, now I'm still skeptical on whether the "moon" portion of this works. My period is about the same flow as usual, but since it just started, I can't tell if it's lighter. Usually I get a light flow, then a heavy flow, then it slowly stops over the course of 3-4 days. Right now, I have a moderately light flow. I'll update you guys once its been long enough to tell.
          Yeah, well it looks like my results weren't nearly as dramatic as OP's. There's no noticeable difference in my flow, which is the only reason I tried this. It's still heavy as ever. It will be useful for regulating my otherwise irregular periods, but overall it's just a cool party trick.

Comment

accidental double post; ignore

Comment

Originally posted by IndigoBanshee View Post
              I will say that I taught preschool for 5 years, and it was REAL obvious when the full moon was coming. The kids (and many times the parents) just went crazy. They were grouchy, argumentative, and the "me"s got much worse....and the parents would come in with terrible moods and take it out on us.
              +100000!

Yeah, well it looks like my results weren't nearly as dramatic as OP's. There's no noticeable difference in my flow, which is the only reason I tried this. It's still heavy as ever. It will be useful for regulating my otherwise irregular periods, but overall it's just a cool party trick.
              I would think it would take a while before you saw any real impact--months and months I'd guess...
              My Before/After Pics
              Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Did I misunderstand, or did PaleoMom say that you want your period to start on the NEW MOON, not the full moon. So that would mean that you are two weeks off, or opposite of what you want to be. So it isn't surprising that your flow is heavy, since it's full moon time. Over several months with the dark nights/nightlight thing, you should shift to starting on the new moon instead.
                42 yo female; 5'8"
                Oct 2009: 205 lbs
                Dec 2010: 167 lbs
                Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
                Goal weight: 145 lbs

Comment

This is sort of going out on a limb here, but if I was to start using progesterone cream to help me deal with PCOS symptoms and prod my body towards a normal cycle, would I want to begin applying it at the full moon, then taper off at the new moon? As someone with a completely wacko and untrackable cycle, I can't see where else I could take cues from.

Comment

My period starts at the new moon, has for years. Ever since I thought it was a cool crunchy thing to do during a wiccan phase.

No my period did not get lighter or less painful. Sorry.

(The only simple thing that has ever worked for me is to take large doses of fish oil the week before, I think it has an effect on clotting is why it helps.)

Comment

My period always seems to start a couple days before/after new moon, and in the same way, I ovulate a couple days before/after full moon. I've kept a calendar for years, but I never thought to check for this :-) Unfortunately I don't go outside often, so I never notice what phase the moon is at. I had to check calendar dates to verify this. No wonder I hadn't noticed!

I've never had painful period or ovulation, but I can't say it's because of this. *shrug* Even though my sister and I ate the same food growing up, she had (and still has) lots of pain (and vomiting), and I did not. Well, she did have a major sweet tooth, and I liked more savory food.

When I finally go and make a baby boy, it's nice to think that it will be a beautiful full moon night :-) Might as well go outside and do it primal style. Wooooooooo!
                      My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
                      Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Comment

I've read somewhere that doctors/surgeons prefer to not operate when its a full moon, as the patient will have more blood loss. Not sure how many doctors may still have this superstition today.
                        My primal journal
                        25yo female, height 5'7"
                        goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
                        goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
                        ― W. Somerset Maugham

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post

Seeds and Oils: from New Moon to Full Moon take 1 T. of sunflower seeds daily and 1 T. of cod-liver oil daily. From Full Moon to New Moon take 1 T. pumpkin seeds and 2 caps Borage Oil daily. If you normally take cod-liver oil daily, continue it during the full to new moon stage as well. Optional, but helpful if it agrees with you, is to also take 1 T. of freshly ground flax seeds all month long.
                          Paleomom, what are your thoughts on the Omega 6 content in the Borage oil? Could adding extra for those two weeks be detrimental? I already supplement with fish oils to try and offset my high meat consumption (that is not always grassfed sources). I have a history of inflammation, muscle tension, and heavy periods with painful cramping. No PCOS, probably estrogen dominance....

I guess at this point I am willing to do anything to get things more regulated on multiple levels. I have been in a dark room for over a year, I have been primal/paleo for several years, and while things are SLIGHTLY better, they are still not acceptable. Actually, some things have gotten worse in that now I have slight cramping almost all month (which I am still debating on pursuing more diagnostic work ups.....already had an ultrasound with zero findings a few months ago). I am waiting for my acupuncturist to return from pregnancy leave as she is known in the state for regulating cycles and infertility treatment......but if I had an alternative and lower cost option I would be thrilled.
                          Erin
                          Daily Vlogs
                          Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
                            Seeds and Oils: from New Moon to Full Moon take 1 T. of sunflower seeds daily and 1 T. of cod-liver oil daily. From Full Moon to New Moon take 1 T. pumpkin seeds and 2 caps Borage Oil daily. If you normally take cod-liver oil daily, continue it during the full to new moon stage as well. Optional, but helpful if it agrees with you, is to also take 1 T. of freshly ground flax seeds all month long.
                            Is this forever, or just until the cycle aligns?

I am super skeptical, but I love (safe) personal experimentation, so you've piqued my interest!
                            Steph
                            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Originally posted by Mica
                              I was wondering about this as well. I can't comment on the protocol because I haven't tried it, but through personal experience the only thing that has had ANY impact on the pain involved with menstruating has been completely eliminating nuts/seeds (basically, sources of lots of omega-6) rom my diet. I have endometriosis, have probably had it to some degree since I started menstruating. I have slept in a pitch-black room since I was a teenager (28 now). I know you need a consistent sleep schedule and I have no idea what adding a night light would do (other than prevent me from sleeping). I would never consider adding oils with a high omega-6 content on a regular basis, now that I KNOW they were making the pain significantly worse (debilitating, actually). So I'm happy for those who have had success with this protocol actually improving their cycles (and not just changing the timing), but won't be trying it any time soon.
                              After I posted the question I did more research. I found a lot of recommendations for evening primrose and borage oil (and a few others), all omega 6 type oils, in regards to helping menstrual pain, regulating cycles, pms, etc. Maybe its just not as simple as adding up omega 3 to omega 6 ratios, but sometimes the types of oils and components in each. <shrug>

I did see comments about the omega 6 contradictory with ovulation, so I can see where the naturapath would recommend it only after ovulation. I personally have experimented with evening primrose oil to reduce my cycle length and menstraul pain (its been a couple years since I have taken it consistently), but I have never used it while I am tracking my ovulation, I just took it every day no matter what. It did help my cycles a bit and my pain, I just fell out of habit and later decided to avoid all Omega 6's.

I added cod liver oil to my regime at the start of the new moon this time around. I have not yet ovulated though, so I have opted to NOT switch to borage oil yet (even though the full moon has passed). I figure as soon as I ovulate I will switch, and then at the new moon go back to cod liver. I figure this self experimentation cannot hurt, my cycles are such a wreck as it is.
                              Erin
                              Daily Vlogs
                              Primal Pets Blog

Comment

this is weird... after reading about this thread last month, on the night of the full moon and pre and post, I slept with our top front bedroom window bilnds open (to let the street light's light filter in, as don't have a night light). I have been waiting for my cycles to start again since stopping the pill the month prior. I also started seeing a TCM practitioner and have been taking some chinese herbs to help start my period.
                                Anyway, lo and behold, today will be a NEW MOON and ta da- my period came this morning!!! I've actually never been so excited to have it come back lol.
                                Over the last few weeks I kept feeling cramps and would think my period must be coming, oh no I hope it comes when its a new moon hehe.
                                Right now I've got no pain, no cramps, still a bit bloated tho, and tired from yoga/gym, but I'm strangely really WARM- burning ears, itchy pink neck, pink cheeks, and my aluminium free deodorant isn't quite holding up LOL :/
                                My primal journal
                                25yo female, height 5'7"
                                goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
                                goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
                                ― W. Somerset Maugham

Comment

Working...
                                X