How Bad is Sour Cream?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Bad is Sour Cream?

Ok, So I know this was probably far from primal but I was stuck in a position where I ate at Chipotle with some friends.

I had a fajita bowl with pulled beef, tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, and sour cream. I know that some of this stuff is kinda of primal but how bad is the sour cream?

I have lost 10lbs in two weeks (which is a lot for me as I only have about 30 to lose) so I know this is working but it's situations like these where I have trouble.

Thanks
    Last edited by leoneaj33; 07-05-2011, 12:53 PM.

I like sour cream, especially on my fajita bowls from Chipotle.

From Chipotle's site 2 oz. sour cream is 10g of fat (7 from saturated) and 2g of carbs. I wouldn't sweat the SC.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Comment

I eat and use SC a lot in my cooking. I wouldn't sweat it. Fermented dairy is better than the regular stuff.
      Georgette

Comment

IF you can tolerate dairy, sour cream should be fine in small amounts. The non-dairy crowd may say that's part of the 20%, but there are far worse things you could eat at Chipotle, such as the flour tortillas.

(note: I personally don't count fermented dairy in the 20% category, but that's just me.)
        Last edited by Pooka; 07-05-2011, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I like SC so it's good to know I can have it occasionally - I've pretty much cut dairy out of my diet.

Comment

Originally posted by leoneaj33 View Post
            how bad is the sour cream?
            Oh man, it's terrible... especially for me, I can't just open a container and use it... I have to finish it.
            My Fitday public journal.
            Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
            Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
            Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

Originally posted by leoneaj33 View Post
              how bad is the sour cream?

Thanks
              How long has it been sitting out?

Sorry. Sometimes I have absolutely no self control . . .

For my money dairy is one of those borderline things that maybe should be avoided (by those who have a lot of weight to lose or who are dairy intolerant in some fashion or who really want to live like grok and camp in a cave and not pull on the teats of domesticated cows, goats, or sheep).

*shrUg*

Maybe I could lose weight faster if I cut it out. But small amounts of aged cheese and butter are two things that I enjoy in my diet and I don't think they're holding me back enough to dx them.

Comment

Not an option in restaurants, but I've been using full fat Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It has a nice tang to it.
                Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

MMmmm, I love sour cream. Not that icky low fat stuff either, the dig in, stand a spoon up in it kind. Smothered on steak, delicious!
                  Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Proper, thick sour cream is a staple in my cooking. It's pretty much the "most primal" of the milks along with greek yogurt and kefir.
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

agreed. I'm lucky that one of the common "commercial" sour cream brands around here is a locally produced and with "live active cultures" type. Super thick and fabulous. But either way I don't see sour cream as being a bad thing unless it's the "fat free" variety that my husband got gypped with the other day... poor guy. We eat the stuff all the time.
                      Uncle Dutch Farms - my bloggy home.
                      My review of the Piteba oil expeller - handcranked expeller to make fresh nut oils, coconut oil, etc. Yeah, I love this thing.
                      My favorite kitchen tools - The Homesteader Kitchen

Comment

I LOVE sour cream and always eat it when it's warranted on something you would normally put sour cream on, such as a salad bowl from Chipotle. If I buy the commercial variety, I always buy Daisy brand as the only ingredient is cultured cream.

However, if I have some homemade Creme Fraiche waiting to be churned into butter, that is the best!
                        Last edited by HTownGirl; 07-05-2011, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davem View Post
                          Oh man, it's terrible... especially for me, I can't just open a container and use it... I have to finish it.
                          Same. When I crack open a tub of sour cream I'm lucky if it lasts until the next day. It's just so good on EVERYTHING. Definitely a once in a long while kind of buy for me, but only because of my gross lack of self control.

Comment

Sour Cream is more delicious than Peanut Butter!

Originally posted by Styrofoam Jones View Post
                            Same. When I crack open a tub of sour cream I'm lucky if it lasts until the next day. It's just so good on EVERYTHING. Definitely a once in a long while kind of buy for me, but only because of my gross lack of self control.
                            I definitely am in the same boat as yourself Sir! I bought an all natural Cup of Sour Cream last evening and magically its empty today morning

Good to know its a great Dairy-Fat (with low low carb content)

Comment

I love sour cream and eat a lot of it. Best of all, though, is the thick cream which I "sour" by stirring in a tablespoon or so of kefir and leaving it overnight.

Comment

Working...
                              X