Rooibos Tea - What of it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooibos Tea - What of it?

I like Red Bush....commonly known as Rooibos Tea, a rather nice tasting hot drink. I am not a die hard fan of other teas (other than pre-primal milk & black tea, e.g. The cuppa (tm) ) . But Rooibos is rather pleasing.

I was wondering how many other people drink it, and what are some good health benefits that come with it? I heard it was great for immunity!

It's quite high in antioxidants and makes a good substitute for tea for those who can't or don't consume actual tea. My partner is allergic to real tea, and rooibos makes a fairly good substitute for making things like chai, iced tea, and other black tea beverages.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I believe it's naturally uncaffeinated. Tastes good as well.
      Our own life is the instrument with which we experiment with the truth.

Comment

That is what I drink all week, I really like the taste. I drink the regular kind or the vanilla, both have a great taste. I don't know what health benefits it provides, I just use it in place of coffee.

Comment

I drink it on occasion. I bought a bunch to try and replace all caffeine but I end up just drinking black or green tea and coffee instead
          Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

Comment

I drink it almost every evening. Can't say I can give a laundry list of benefits I've gotten, but it hasn't killed me!

Comment

I don't have a list of benefits either, but it's darn yummy and I feel good after I drink it. That's enough for me.
              Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

I started drinking it over a year ago when I was in South Africa on vacation and caught a cold. Several pots of Rooibos tea and a 1.5 days later, my cold was gone. I have been drinking it ever since. Not so much as a sniffle.

It is also a good alternative for people looking to decaffeinate. It has a robust, nutty flavor (unlike most herbal teas that are either fruity or flowery) that keeps this reformed coffee drinker happy.

I really like kombucha and am going to try brewing some using rooibos. Has anyone out there done this?

Comment

I like it, but not all brands are equal. I wonder what Paleobird likes since she's had the real thing.
                  This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                  Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

I like it, but I drink it iced. Pretty good, and one of the few I haven't had a problem with.
                    Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by Digby View Post
                      I like it, but not all brands are equal. I wonder what Paleobird likes since she's had the real thing.
                      Well, IMHO, rooibos tastes great just as is but a lot of tea companies try to sell you rooibos blends with lavender flowers, orange peel, vanilla, (and some brands sneak in some fake sweeteners). I buy mine from The Tea Spot.com. If you buy 2 one lb packages, the shipping is free.

Comment

My South African relatives put us onto this ages ago. I like it, and while it can't quite replace coffee for me, its a good alternative once I've made it over the mid-morning crunch at work. Not sure of the health benefits other than there's supposed to be many. Its good hot or cold, and its versatile. Good stuff
                        Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

I've also been making tea jello with this and some lime juice. The really firm kind of jello, knox blox style. It's edible iced tea.

Comment

Has anybody used it to make Kombucha?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                              Has anybody used it to make Kombucha?
                              I'm planning on giving this a try when I get back from Africa (don't want to buy a scoby and all that right before leaving). I don't see why it wouldn't work. The fermentation process in all about the sugar. The tea is just something to dilute it in.

Comment

Working...
                              X