Rooibos Tea - What of it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    I'm planning on giving this a try when I get back from Africa (don't want to buy a scoby and all that right before leaving). I don't see why it wouldn't work. The fermentation process in all about the sugar. The tea is just something to dilute it in.
    I think the real tea in important for kombucha, not just the sugar. I think if you use rooibos it might work a few times, but eventually it will kill the scoby.

On the jello note though, I do make kombucha jello! ( I only use cold water). I add the kids liquids vitamins to it and have knox blox vitamin/probiotic snacks
    PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
      I think the real tea in important for kombucha, not just the sugar. I think if you use rooibos it might work a few times, but eventually it will kill the scoby.
      I think you're wrong there PaleoMom. This company Tea For Brewing Kombucha and several others sell lots of different teas specifically for making kombucha including rooibos. I was concerned about the caffeine in kombucha since I am medically restricted to zero caffeine due to a seizure disorder, so I wrote to the guy who runs this company and he said that any herbal tea would work just fine. It's just the flavoring device. The sugar is the scoby's food.

Comment

Thanks for the link Paleobird, that is the first I've heard of it working. I think I'll try a batch!

For what it's worth, I too am extremely sensitive to caffeine, to the extent that even a single cup of white tea can sometimes be too much. With that said, I have absolutely no caffeine symptoms from kombucha. They say the caffeine gets eaten with the sugar and I believe it based on my personal experience. I brew it at home with black tea.

I have also tried it with green and white which both taste great, but I felt the detox effect seemed lessened quite a bit. I'm curious how the rooibos will feel on this front.
        PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

Great taste. I drink it in the evenings as it's got no caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
            Thanks for the link Paleobird, that is the first I've heard of it working. I think I'll try a batch!

For what it's worth, I too am extremely sensitive to caffeine, to the extent that even a single cup of white tea can sometimes be too much. With that said, I have absolutely no caffeine symptoms from kombucha. They say the caffeine gets eaten with the sugar and I believe it based on my personal experience. I brew it at home with black tea.

I have also tried it with green and white which both taste great, but I felt the detox effect seemed lessened quite a bit. I'm curious how the rooibos will feel on this front.
            Yeah, I don't seem to have the normal jittery effects of caffeine with store bought kombucha either. Perhaps the caffeine does get consumed too. I feel like rooibos is the greatest detox/ immune system booster ever. Combining that with the fermentation aspect of kombucha would be even cooler.

The guy who runs that site I linked you to is really great. He sells all the "stuff" for making kombucha but gives away a series of tutorial videos for free, even if you don't buy anything. He has this continuous brew technique that involves a water cooler size brew tank with a spigot. You just leave the scoby in place and tap off what you need into bottles for secondary fermentation and replace with new tea at the top. It sounds like a lot less hassle than sterilizing everything and fussing with strainers and funnels, etc. I am hoping to put him in touch with Mark so that maybe we can have a kombucha brewing workshop at PrimalCon next year.

Comment

It's a great evening thing for me after I've hit my 8pm no more food cutoff time. I am an evening nibbler and it keeps me from doing that. I have some weight to lose. I love the taste of it. Got turned on to it (bush tea) after reading a few of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books. Delightful books for those of you who are readers out there.
              Last edited by pdovers; 07-11-2011, 07:47 AM.
              Knee deep in the water somewhere got the blue sky breeze blowin' wind thru my hair only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair. Zack Brown Band

Comment

I like Republic of Tea Double Red rooibos.
                WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post

The guy who runs that site I linked you to is really great. He sells all the "stuff" for making kombucha but gives away a series of tutorial videos for free, even if you don't buy anything. He has this continuous brew technique that involves a water cooler size brew tank with a spigot. You just leave the scoby in place and tap off what you need into bottles for secondary fermentation and replace with new tea at the top. It sounds like a lot less hassle than sterilizing everything and fussing with strainers and funnels, etc. I am hoping to put him in touch with Mark so that maybe we can have a kombucha brewing workshop at PrimalCon next year.
                  I have been continous brewing Kombucha for 6 months and it couldn't be easier. The main piece of equipment is a 2+ gallon glass jar with a spigot on the bottom. I got mine at World Market - this time of year they are easy to find. I made my own starter Scoby from store bought Kombucha.

Comment

I've been using Rooibos in my continuous brewer for months. It's great! I'm also very sensitive to caffeine which is why I started using it. And I highly recommend a continous brew system-makes things so much easier.
                    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

How often do you have to do "something" to the continuous brewing system? I travel often for work, and am out of town for 3-5 nights approximately 2-3 times per month. Would there be a problem if I left it unattended while gone? I bought a dehydrated scoby but haven't had time to do anything with it yet. Am currently out of town for 2 weeks because my 17 year old is having surgery out of state in Texas on Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                        I have been continous brewing Kombucha for 6 months and it couldn't be easier. The main piece of equipment is a 2+ gallon glass jar with a spigot on the bottom. I got mine at World Market - this time of year they are easy to find. I made my own starter Scoby from store bought Kombucha.
                        Help me! I look at the bottles of kombucha and get the willies. I'm usually pretty courageous about tryng new things but not this one. Anything slimy gags me. What does it taste like. Do you get a slimy feel from the floating stuff?
                        This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                        Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

I just made rooibos with some strawberry tea for a refreshing iced tea. Digby I haven't tried kombucha either, it's expensive in the market I shop.
                          WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Comment

Originally posted by DKSABS View Post
                            How often do you have to do "something" to the continuous brewing system? I travel often for work, and am out of town for 3-5 nights approximately 2-3 times per month. Would there be a problem if I left it unattended while gone? I bought a dehydrated scoby but haven't had time to do anything with it yet. Am currently out of town for 2 weeks because my 17 year old is having surgery out of state in Texas on Tuesday.
                            I just re-fill mine once a week, rather than pouring out one or two bottles a day and having to constantly re-fill it. So as long as you're not away for more than a week or so, it should be fine. And even if you end up leaving it too long and it gets vinegar-y, it can still be salvaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Digby View Post
                              Help me! I look at the bottles of kombucha and get the willies. I'm usually pretty courageous about tryng new things but not this one. Anything slimy gags me. What does it taste like. Do you get a slimy feel from the floating stuff?
                              You can't even taste the "slimy stuff". It depends on what flavor you get/use as to how it tastes. I put cinnamon chips or cloves in mine and it tastes like apple cider.

Comment

Originally posted by tradawg View Post
                                I've been using Rooibos in my continuous brewer for months. It's great! I'm also very sensitive to caffeine which is why I started using it. And I highly recommend a continous brew system-makes things so much easier.
                                Good to know. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X