Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left Chili Out for 8 hours... ok to eat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Left Chili Out for 8 hours... ok to eat?

    I kind of forgot about the Chili I made yesterday... It was amazing and I enjoyed some right away. I usually then let it cool down and put it in the refrigerator about 30 to 60 minutes later.

    I forgot to do this yesterday.

    I left it on the stove and then went over to my relatives for the rest of the day. I came home and smelled it and it did not have a funny smell. It did not look funny either.

    It was sitting out for 8 total hours.

    The chili was made with little butter, 2 lbs of 75/25 100% grassfed ground beef from us wellness meats, apple cider vinegar, bell peppers, broccoli, canned stewed tomatoes with a decent amount of salt.

    Do you think it will be ok to eat? Or should I throw it away as a pre caution?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

  • #2
    Sorry to say this, but I wouldn't risk it. Throw it away. Some of the most deadly food poisoning can come from food that doesn't look or smell funny. Especially in the summer months.

    Health Canada recommends not eating leftovers that have been held outside of refrigeration more than two hours.
    http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit...restes-eng.php

    Maybe take the food out to the woods and feed it to the animals so it doesn't go to waste.
    Last edited by goodangels; 07-05-2011, 05:34 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Interesting thought. About 5 of my twitter friends said to go for it. Its 5-1 in favor of to eat it. Anyone else have thoughts?
      Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

      Comment


      • #4
        Invite your 5 twitter friends over for dinner and let them eat it. Observe them carefully for 24 hours. LOL

        Comment


        • #5
          eat it, then maybe we won't have to put up with your 50 novel-length comments on everything Mark posts on the main site.

          Comment


          • #6
            No way in hell I'd eat it. Ever had food poisoning? Not worth it to save a few bucks.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'd eat it
              http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                I'd eat it. Salt and vinegar? Should be OK

                Comment


                • #9
                  Eat it. I do this all the time with soups ou stews to let them cool down, it doesn't matter at all. Don't forget that thing was boiling for a while, so the potentially harmful bacterias are long dead. Unless you coughed on it numeral times during those 8 hours, your chili should be ok. If you're paranoid like the cough-p*ssies-cough that posted earlier, microwave it for 2-3 minutes, that should nuke the already dead bacterias once more.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by marqueemoon View Post
                    eat it, then maybe we won't have to put up with your 50 novel-length comments on everything Mark posts on the main site.
                    Are you one of the stalkers?
                    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Winterbike View Post
                      Eat it. I do this all the time with soups ou stews to let them cool down, it doesn't matter at all. Don't forget that thing was boiling for a while, so the potentially harmful bacterias are long dead. Unless you coughed on it numeral times during those 8 hours, your chili should be ok. If you're paranoid like the cough-p*ssies-cough that posted earlier, microwave it for 2-3 minutes, that should nuke the already dead bacterias once more.
                      I did not ever boil it. It was cooked at a low to medium heat but that should not make a difference anyway.
                      Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Can't you just put it back in a pot, bring it to a light boil for 20 minutes, then eat it? Isn't pretty much all bacteria killed at ~170*F? Bringing it to a boil for a little while should effectively kill anything in it I'd think.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          Can't you just put it back in a pot, bring it to a light boil for 20 minutes, then eat it? Isn't pretty much all bacteria killed at ~170*F? Bringing it to a boil for a little while should effectively kill anything in it I'd think.
                          while i woudl probably reheat it i found this online.


                          No, reheating it will not always kill all the bacteria or the toxins created by them. If we could kill all the bacteria in food left at room temperature just by reheating it, we'd have very little use for refrigerators.

                          For example, the Staphylococcus aureus bacteria produces a toxin that is heat stable and may not be destroyed.

                          Salmonella is only killed by cooking temperatures above 150.

                          but it is chilli, did you use fress habenaros?
                          Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

                          Predator not Prey
                          Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

                          CW 315 | SW 506
                          Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


                          Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                            but it is chilli, did you use fress habenaros?
                            No. I used bell peppers, apple cider vinegar, canned tomatoes, broccoli...
                            Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
                              No. I used bell peppers, apple cider vinegar, canned tomatoes, broccoli...
                              oh well no real capsaisin in there I woudl not try it. I always assume capsaisin trumps bacteria
                              Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

                              Predator not Prey
                              Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

                              CW 315 | SW 506
                              Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


                              Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X