Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left Chili Out for 8 hours... ok to eat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brahnamin View Post
    He put broccoli. in. chili.

Mother Teresa might shamble out of the grave to hate on that.
    Yea, broccoli definitely doesn't belong in chili and I'd never do that, but beans definitely do belong in chili. What are you gonna do? If you're restricting legumes, it's hardly chili to begin with. More like spicy meat sauce. Then again, when I make chili, I'm putting canned beans in it. I'll soak them for 2 days if I have to, I don't care. A chili without beans is like pizza without cheese. What's the point?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
      Honey, he put broccoli, no chiles, vinegar, and butter in his "chili." It's not a chili. A stew, maybe. But not a chili. The only way he could've made it any worse is if he left it soupy and put beans in it.
      Yeah, but I can see the vinegar (especially if he's leaving out chiles - dunno why he's leaving out chiles when he still included tomatoes, but *shrUg*) and I can even see butter (if it was used to flavor the browning meat or to saute onions to give the chili a sweeter flavor).

But yeah. Can't get past the broccoli.

Just can't.

But agree that leaving out chiles makes it not chili . . .

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
        Yea, broccoli definitely doesn't belong in chili and I'd never do that, but beans definitely do belong in chili. What are you gonna do? If you're restricting legumes, it's hardly chili to begin with. More like spicy meat sauce. Then again, when I make chili, I'm putting canned beans in it. I'll soak them for 2 days if I have to, I don't care. A chili without beans is like pizza without cheese. What's the point?
        whar ewe frum boi

chilli is meat and chillies. period. the rest is fru fru filler for po folk
        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Well, don't tell Mark, but I generally do put beans in my chili.

If I was going to restrict legumes, however, there are plenty of good beanless chili recipes. One includes a fairly clever (if expensive) meat substitute for beans. Instead of beans take 6 oz of filet mignon and cut it thin (this will leave you with 2-3 narrow fillets. Dice these filets until you have little 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces. Saute them in butter or coconut oil and stir them in with the rest of your chili (your main meat base is ground beef and/or sausage).

Doesn't hit the bean flavor point very well, but it adds a groovy little texture.

Most importantly - it's not broccoli.

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
            whar ewe frum boi

Meh. Maybe at the Dictionary of Chili. I can make chili without chiles and it tastes and feels just like chili should. All you need is Cumin (in fact you'll find that it's the main ingredient in most so-called chili powders).

Awesome that we have a chili-war thread to kick off the summer.

Comment

To each their own. I know that mine is meat (generally sirloin, buffalo, bacon, and either venison or lamb), tomatoes (fresh, please), roasted chiles, ro-tel, chipotle chiles with adobo, onion, garlic, chile powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, beer, black pepper, and a couple of spices I don't divulge. Others include what they want, but I don't consider it a true chili if there are veggies other than those in there or if it more resembles tomato soup than chili. Just like I'm firmly in the no-beans- in - chili camp, but I won't deny others their right to add the blasted things. Just like a good green chili is something that would scare most Yankees.
              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
              My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by newberrycrater View Post
                If the pot was covered and the house was not hot, I'd eat it.
                The house was hot. 78-80 degrees. But it was covered...
                Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

whar ewe frum boi

I've never had chili without beans and I've never seen a chili recipe without beans. And I make chili that'll make a Texan truck driver cry like a bitch. I can't wait until my ghost chilies start fruiting so I can make a batch.
                  Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I don't care whether or not my food was chili or not. Lol. What make a chili? Beans? I don't eat beans... But really, what makes a chili, chili?

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
                      The house was hot. 78-80 degrees. But it was covered...
                      What is the size of this pot? If it's only a couple bowls, toss it as it's no big loss. If it's an 8 quart pot full of it, I say boil the crap out of it for an hour and eat a small bowl. If a small bowl doesn't hurt you, you're probably fine. That's what I'd do, but I have a cast iron gut.
                      I don't care whether or not my food was chili or not. Lol. What make a chili? Beans? I don't eat beans... But really, what makes a chili, chili?
                      Chili peppers and chili powder.

Comment

no hatred just clarification for a stew to be a chilli it MUST have chillies in it

QED

Chili powder, dried, ground red chili peppers, sometimes with cumin and other spices

Definition: Chili is a popular dish of beef stewed with seasoning and chile peppers. Although chili -- or chili con carne -- probably originated in Texas, variations are cooked and enjoyed throughout United States. Some variations on the traditional Texas chili include chili with beans and other types of meat. The popular Cincinnati chili, an elaborate spaghetti topping with layers of chili made with Middle Eastern seasonings, chopped onions, beans and cheese, was created by Athanas Kiradjieff in 1922.
                        Ok, it was not a chili. It was a...

Primal Toad meal with hamburger, apple cider vinegar, veggies... it was awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                          To each their own. I know that mine is meat (generally sirloin, buffalo, bacon, and either venison or lamb), tomatoes (fresh, please), roasted chiles, ro-tel, chipotle chiles with adobo, onion, garlic, chile powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, beer, black pepper, and a couple of spices I don't divulge. Others include what they want, but I don't consider it a true chili if there are veggies other than those in there or if it more resembles tomato soup than chili. Just like I'm firmly in the no-beans- in - chili camp, but I won't deny others their right to add the blasted things. Just like a good green chili is something that would scare most Yankees.
                          you just keep giving me reasons to love you dont you... he better keep being good to you :-)

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

I've never had chili without beans and I've never seen a chili recipe without beans. And I make chili that'll make a Texan truck driver cry like a bitch. I can't wait until my ghost chilies start fruiting so I can make a batch.
                            uhm, i can haz?

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

Ok, it was not a chili. It was a...

Primal Toad meal with hamburger, apple cider vinegar, veggies... it was awesome!
                              Primal Toad meal FTW!!!!

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

Comment

I'll call it what I want. I'd say that a true pizza is more about the crust then cheese. Then its the sauce and toppings. Cheese is not a huge part unless you go for deep dish.

Comment

Working...
                                X