Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sausages better for you than we originally thought?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re - Wheat in Sausage

Some recipes actually do call for flour. The Irish Bangers someone mentioned in another thread last week are probably the ones you are most likely to find here in the states, but there are Polish and German sausages as well that have flour as an ingredient.

Also, as has already been stated, some spice mixes use wheat based stabilizers or flavor enhancers.

Whole Foods -
    if you have the luxury of having one nearby - is a good choice in that they use whole (boneless) pork shoulder in all their pork sausages. Chicken is whole boned carcasses. And Beef is trimmings and scraps. All their big sausages are cased in pig intestine. Breakfast sausages use lamb intestine. Their spice mixes only contain wheat if the recipe calls for wheat (again, bangers is a good example), but some of them do contain sugar.

But their sausages are made in house and they can bring you the spice pack for any given sausage so you can examine the ingredients.

I've actually made sausages at the Richmond, VA WFM and seen them made on a daily basis (I ran their smokehouse program for 6 months when they first opened that location), so for whatever it's worth, this is firsthand knowledge, not what someone there *told* me.

And you *should* ask about sugar in their sausages if that is a concern (though it will generally come up <1g per serving if there is sugar). If you are familiar with the sausage and know it doesn't call for wheat in any traditional version of that sausage (brats, italian, etc) then their version won't have wheat.
    Last edited by brahnamin; 07-05-2011, 08:06 AM. Reason: to eliminate Yoda from a particularly awkward sentence structure.

Comment

Ok, I googled some sausages I don't make or eat and finding bread crumbs in bangers, rice in boudin blanc, ok - neither are blood puddings, fair enough, I'm wrong there.

I wonder if it's a matter of recipe age. My book recipes are old, and like I said, don't have those undesirable inclusions. (I also lack recipes for boudin blanc and bangers.)

I'll second WF as a sausage source - I'll pick up a couple types from them in a pinch, decent stuff. I'd rather buy the aged beef, but I can't get behind $25+ per pound for an aged ny strip.
      My Fitday public journal.
      Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
      Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
      Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

A sausage without a casing is still a sausage
        So, what's the difference between a sausage and spiced ground meat? What I would love a recipe for is a meatloaf without grains!
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Well, to me it comes down to a variation in method.

A meatloaf doesn't get to sit in my kitchenaid getting beaten to hell in order to build up the binding properties of the proteins. Due to those properties, you can even get liquids such as red wine, or cream into the sausage.

A meatloaf doesn't get that. With meatloaf we've removed the breadcrumbs, added in romano and fresh italian parsley to add in more texture, and resorted to beating it a little by hand. Meat temperature is less important for a meatloaf than a sausage, you don't care too much if a meatloaf "breaks" but it's a massive failure for a sausage that reduces quality.

The meatloaf we're doing right now is:
          1/2# Beef
          1# Pork
          Spices - make your choice (back off the salt)
          2 large eggs
          1/2c or so of Romano
          1/2c of italian parsley

If extra binder is needed, I wonder at the value of buckwheat for that purpose - just a little of it.

Comment

Okay, I see the difference now.

I do not have a food processor, but I have a KA stand mixer.
            I want to try the following for the meatloaf - a modification of my meatball mix:

1# each of ground beef & el turkey
            1 egg
            1/2 - 1 cup quark
            ~ 2 tbsp pureed onion, garlic and herbs
            ground binding mix: spices with a handful of nuts and dry shiitake mushrooms ~ 1/2 cup ground
            top with tomato paste+ liquid smoke + sliced almonds

Will that have a chance to hold together after baking or will it likely fall appart?

Comment

As a celiac, I can tell you that a LOT of sausages contain gluten, and I'm not trusting any of them that aren't either certified gluten free or made by someone I can personally trust to make sure they are. I can and have become quite ill by just trusting that "all sausage is grain free". It's not, and believing so will make someone with my condition sick.

As for meatloaf, I use almond meal in mine, plus an extra egg. The bread crumbs in meatloaf are more for moisture retention than for binding anyhow. If you use some ground pork in your meat mixture, you'll get a more moist meatloaf, but the almond flour is a nice addition, especially for those who don't eat pork.
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                What I would love a recipe for is a meatloaf without grains!
                Meat, Garlic, Salt & Pepper to taste, Tomato Paste, and Eggs. Lots of eggs. I use 4 for every pound of meat.

Comment

Hmm, maybe I try 1/2 cup quark and 1/2 cup tomato paste in the 'dough' & increase the eggs to 2. I find that quark adds the same moisteness to the ground beef that the pork would. I am out of our grass-fed ground pork, so I want to do beef + turkey (love that combo in meatballs). Gotta try it tomorrow! Now, I am REALLY craving it!

Comment

I'd play with it, make it up, split the batch down, bake one made normally, and the other batch I would stick in the freezer for a half hour, and then beat in the KA with the paddle for about 5 minutes, then bake the splits together and see what happens texturally.

I would say both should be just fine, the beaten one might have a better bind and finer tooth texture.

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                    Okay, I see the difference now.

I do not have a food processor, but I have a KA stand mixer.
                    I want to try the following for the meatloaf - a modification of my meatball mix:

1# each of ground beef & el turkey
                    1 egg
                    1/2 - 1 cup quark
                    ~ 2 tbsp pureed onion, garlic and herbs
                    ground binding mix: spices with a handful of nuts and dry shiitake mushrooms ~ 1/2 cup ground
                    top with tomato paste+ liquid smoke + sliced almonds

Will that have a chance to hold together after baking or will it likely fall appart?

Comment

Sometimes, I'll get a whole whitetail deer that I've shot made entirely into sausage. Especially if it's an older deer and probably lean and tough. Straight from the forest to the local butcher to my plate. Just finished eating a few links of jalopeno chedder deer sausage for lunch =D

Comment

Working...
                      X