Metallic taste in mouth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metallic taste in mouth?

Hi-I just completed my first week of primal eating yay! I totally cut out grains, sugar and caffeine, and have lost 5.4 pounds since last Monday But, I'm noticing a metallic taste in my mouth once in a while, and wonder if this is connected to primal eating, and if it's a problem? Could I be deficient in something? Right now the only supplement I'm taking is 5,000 u of vitamin D3 every day (my doctor's orders since my D level is low right now). I've never noticed this taste before last week, so I'm wondering if something I'm eating/doing is causing problems. Thanks for any input!
    ~*Sara*~

Are you eating very low carbs? It may be a sign of ketosis.

Comment

I haven't been keeping track of anything, but last week I ate a mix of pastured eggs, fresh produce from our farmers market, a bit of cheese, and then rotated between chicken, sausage, and salmon (with a couple Hebrew National hotdogs thrown in on Saturday). I only drank water all week.

I need to look up ketosis-is this a bad thing? I have Mark's book on order, so I'm still learning all the terms!
      ~*Sara*~

Comment

No, ketosis is good! It means your body is switching from burning carbs to burning fat. Ketoacidosis is bad, ketosis is good.

Comment

thank you-I'll do some more research on both of these things
          ~*Sara*~

Comment

It's also a sign of pregnancy too!
            My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Comment

oh goodness-I hope not lol! I have a 3 yr old, a 4 yr old, and a 6 yr old, plus a puppy, 3 birds, and 2 large aquariums. A baby would send me over the edge lol!
              ~*Sara*~

Comment

I agree with the pregnancy idea. I had the taste of metallic apples all trough my first!!!

Comment

Been eating pine-nuts?
                  'Pine Mouth': Pine Nuts Can Leave A Bitter Taste That Lingers - ABC News

Comment

I prefer aiming for 50-100g of carbs a day which according to the Primal Blueprint is the ideal fat burning range and leaves lots of scope for vegetables, salads - and chocolate and strawberries

Many here seem to like very low carb (Ketosis under 50g) but its too extreme for me - slowly and surely catchy monkey - and as I'm planning to eat this way from now on whats the rush :P
                    1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
                    Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

Comment

I'd be highly willing to bet it's ketosis. Some other signs are smelly urine and having more energy. Oh yeah, and it's a natural diuretic; it helps to drink a lot of water.

I've found this and this are good general guides.

One thing though, it seems keto isn't something you want to keep up long term. For example I'm already at an ideal weight for my muscle mass, but it's hard to put on new muscle when you're in ketosis a lot. I myself am thinking of switching to a more structured "cyclical" or "targeted" ketogenic diet but to be honest I'm kind lazy when it comes to planning things out that much.

BTW I've eaten (very dark) chocolate and strawberries and still apparently remained in ketosis. I don't think it's necessarily something you have to give up, but everyone is different, I guess.

Comment

I'm thinking ketosis as well, though I do remember the metallic taste when I was pregnant as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's ketosis!
                        Durp.

Comment

if i take coconut oil at all internally i get a nasty mouth taste
                          Get on my Level
                          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

thanks for the input everyone! I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant, so it sounds like I may be hitting ketosis I'm tracking my food, but not the nutritional info on them.

Today I ate -
                            -breakfast-two pastured eggs with onion, pepper, tomato, bacon pieces, and cheese mixed in.
                            -snack was cherries we picked ourselves.
                            -lunch lemon herb pollock with a large side of purple cauliflower, covered in melted cheese.
                            -more cherries in the afternoon.
                            -supper was messed up because I forgot to put the chicken in the crock pot ugh! So it ended up being beef jerky that I bought from the farmers market, the last of the cherries, and then I did eat some organic popcorn with butter-not primal, but my cupboards are about empty until I get groceries! I've also read that cherries are high in carbs, but they're my all time favorite fruit, and they're only in season for a couple weeks so I'm enjoying them while they're here And it's a blast going out in the orchard and picking them ourselves (and really cheap lol!)
                            I only drank water, and I'm not planning on eating anything else tonight. I wonder how many carbs I consumed today? Will track tomorrow!
                            Last edited by SaraVZ; 07-06-2011, 04:54 PM.
                            ~*Sara*~

Comment

your GI tract flora can die off when you change your diet dramatically - all the sugar-loving ones are starving. See if you can get some chewable probiotics and/or eat some yoghurt. If your mouth is also dry, consider increasing the carbs just a bit. The mucosa needs a little glucose.
                              If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat? Tom Snyder

Comment

Working...
                              X