Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewer's yeast

Is it any good or not?

I just bought some out of curiosity (this one is made from beats)

I love how it tastes sprinkled over meat and rice, tastes like farofa (a Brazilian grain-based condiment). Most likely because of all the glutamic acid in it (MSG but natural).
    Last edited by rphlslv; 07-02-2011, 07:52 PM.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

If it's the same thing as nutritional yeast, I love the stuff! I add it to scrambled eggs, baked potatoes, sprinkle it on veggies, and mix it with olive oil to roast brussels sprouts.
    We must learn to do what the leaf and the whale and the wind do of their own nature. We must learn to keep the balance. Having intelligence, we must not act in ignorance. Having choice, we must not act without responsibility
    -Sparrowhawk, The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. LeGuin

Comment

Originally posted by Anave View Post
      If it's the same thing as nutritional yeast, I love the stuff! I add it to scrambled eggs, baked potatoes, sprinkle it on veggies, and mix it with olive oil to roast brussels sprouts.
      hmm i don't think it's the same thing, but cool

Comment

Wtf, can it cause yeast infection? I just read that.

Comment

I'd say after a liter of hefeweizen tonight, brewer's yeast is good stuff.

It won't help you out if you have a candida infection though.

I would also say, the best brewer's yeast to get is FROM a brewer, I usually have about 3-4 pounds to toss out once I'm moving a batch of beer from primary to secondary. I can only eat so much (seriously, it goes waaaaay through you.), so I'd be down with sharing. I bet other brewers would be willing to do the same.
          Last edited by davem; 07-02-2011, 09:30 PM.
          My Fitday public journal.
          Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
          Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
          Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

I used to do this when I had colitis-

It has a ton of B and lots of minerals, just right for a mucked up digestive system. Very effective.

Comment

I bought this one

Comment

Originally posted by davem View Post
                I'd say after a liter of hefeweizen tonight, brewer's yeast is good stuff.

It won't help you out if you have a candida infection though.

I would also say, the best brewer's yeast to get is FROM a brewer, I usually have about 3-4 pounds to toss out once I'm moving a batch of beer from primary to secondary. I can only eat so much (seriously, it goes waaaaay through you.), so I'd be down with sharing. I bet other brewers would be willing to do the same.
                I think the candida problem depends on how the yeast was grown. The brand I use (NOW brand) says this on the label:

ozNOW pleasant tasting Nutritional Yeast Flakes are produced from a specially selected strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. This yeast is grown on enriched purified cane and beet molasses under carefully controlled conditions. This is a primary grown yeast and is therefore NOT a brewery by-product as is brewer's yeast. This ensures freedom from Candida albicans yeast.
                We must learn to do what the leaf and the whale and the wind do of their own nature. We must learn to keep the balance. Having intelligence, we must not act in ignorance. Having choice, we must not act without responsibility
                -Sparrowhawk, The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. LeGuin

Comment

Do you dry it, or use it in a somewhat liquid form? Just wondering because when I make cider I tip all of mine down the sink.
                  www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Comment

How much is too much? I'm really liking this thing, I put it all over my meat and rice.

Comment

Originally posted by rphlslv View Post
                      How much is too much? I'm really liking this thing, I put it all over my meat and rice.
                      You'll know when it's too much, in my experience it's not a subtle reaction. You'll basically be confined to the bathroom for a few hours.

@Blah - I use it "wet", as I don't really process the trub, although it would probably be easy to dry, you just might not have as active a population you're eating. I just put a mess in a mason jar, and toss it in the fridge.

Originally posted by Anave View Post
                      I think the candida problem depends on how the yeast was grown. The brand I use (NOW brand) says this on the label:

ozNOW pleasant tasting Nutritional Yeast Flakes are produced from a specially selected strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. This yeast is grown on enriched purified cane and beet molasses under carefully controlled conditions. This is a primary grown yeast and is therefore NOT a brewery by-product as is brewer's yeast. This ensures freedom from Candida albicans yeast.
                      Ok, so "specially selected strain", unless it's a bret beer, modern (home) brewers using S. cerevisiae exclusively. I have 4 or 5 strains in my fridge right now. Cane and beet molasses, when fermented and distilled will net you rum.

As for a "primary" grown yeast and not a byproduct... well, I'd classify that as marketing speak. You get the wort, must, mash (different terms depending on product to be made) - you innoculate with yeast. The yeast grows and the by product is alcohol. Decant off the alcohol - if you're a brewer, you worry about the liquid, if you're ozNOW you dry and package the yeast, possibly after a pasteurizing step. Your particular mission in this case would define which part of it is "byproduct". (Primary versus secondary denotes which part of the fermentation the trub, which is flocculated yeast, comes from. Primary is from the first, fast fermentation. Secondary is a slower, aging fermentation, which produces less "vital" yeast.)

Honestly - you *could* make it at home, if you wanted, and probably save some money.
                      My Fitday public journal.
                      Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                      Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                      Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

@Blah - I use it "wet", as I don't really process the trub, although it would probably be easy to dry, you just might not have as active a population you're eating. I just put a mess in a mason jar, and toss it in the fridge.
                        Is there anything else you do to it, or just rack off your beer and pour the remaining yeast into a jar? I guess you let it re settle and pour any remaining beer off, but anything other than that?

I was thinking of adding a tablespoon of so to my morning breakfast shake (milk, yogurt, banana and protien powder), does that should like a reasonable way to use it? I don't know whats its like because I've never used it before like that.
                        www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Comment

Working...
                        X